i need some help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

i need some help

im about to move in a couple of months, and where im moving there is only dial up unless you want to spend a ton of cash getting a broadband type of internet. well, a lady not far behind the house im moving into has that internet. i bought a wireless internet card for my PC. this is it....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...6-012-13.jpg&S

im wondering if there is a way to extend the cable, it is only about 2 foot or so. i am hoping to run that cable outside to get a better reception, and as short as it is, it's not happening. any help would be great. also, i have no money to spend, so as cheap as possible please. maybe someone on here has something i can trade for would be even better

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
duh...duh....duh

I don't understand what you're trying to do. I thought you were going to try and use the lady's INET connection...but how would taking a cable outside help? Can you lay it out a little better....

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Lifer

Won't be getting shit if her signal is encrypted.....well unless your any good at hacking.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

thats why i was gonna talk to her and see if i could have access to it. the card i got is rated at 100yards inside and 300yards outside. the problem i have is the cable for the ant is only 2 foot long. i need to extend that cable by atleast 5-6 foot

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Lifer

Get on Ebay and start lookin. I bought a magnetic base antenna with a 10 foot cable for like 12-15 dollars and got the cable with the proper end to plug onto my wireless card. I can easily pick up signals nearly a block away with usable signal strength. As for the encryption...unless it is an open network you would either have to hack the encryption (good luck) or talk her into letting you use the network.

FUCK Canada
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
Get on Ebay and start lookin. I bought a magnetic base antenna with a 10 foot cable for like 12-15 dollars and got the cable with the proper end to plug onto my wireless card. I can easily pick up signals nearly a block away with usable signal strength. As for the encryption...unless it is an open network you would either have to hack the encryption (good luck) or talk her into letting you use the network.
my antenna has a magnetic base on it, it's just the cable is way too short. i will look on ebay to see what i can find. my wife is gonna talk to the lady tonight when she gets our kids. the lady is a friend of the family, so i hoping she will be cool with it.

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
El Camino

even if she's not ok with it cracking a wep key doesn't take that long. I've done it 15 minutes before as a demo for my boss

MAC filtering will also make it tougher but that can be taken care of too

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
even if she's not ok with it cracking a wep key doesn't take that long. I've done it 15 minutes before as a demo for my boss

MAC filtering will also make it tougher but that can be taken care of too
i dont' even know how to do all that. i called the place that offers wireless internet in that area, and for $46 a month, you get 1-1.2 mp/s, and you have to pay $350 plus tax up front for all the equipment. i really hope she dont' have a problem with it

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement