Why won't this PS3 connect to the internet? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Why won't this PS3 connect to the internet?

it finds the wireless router (shows the name on the screen) and i entered the correct WEP key, but it keeps saying that the connection failed. i have fios, btw (if that matters)...

brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Gunga galunga

be sure you don't have mac address filtering turned on, or that you are allowing the PS3 mac address. I spent an hour frustrated with this untill I remember that...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
be sure you don't have mac address filtering turned on, or that you are allowing the PS3 mac address. I spent an hour frustrated with this untill I remember that...
mine fired up extremely easily this morning. turned it on, went to wireless settings, found network, put in WEP key, and I was on! Really easy.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

i was hoping that it would be simple but i guess that i'm not that lucky. i'll check the mac address thing when i get home...it's strange, it finds the network but when i put the wep key in and move forward, it says "error 00000"...i did a search and a few other fios users had problems getting online, but they seemed to be different issues than what i'm having...something about "nat3" or something like that. i guess that i haven't made it that far yet.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40
i was hoping that it would be simple but i guess that i'm not that lucky. i'll check the mac address thing when i get home...it's strange, it finds the network but when i put the wep key in and move forward, it says "error 00000"...i did a search and a few other fios users had problems getting online, but they seemed to be different issues than what i'm having...something about "nat3" or something like that. i guess that i haven't made it that far yet.
I got that same error when I didn't have the mac address fixed, i think its just a general error for not being able to connect...Also be sure you are using the correct security, (wep, wpa, wpa2 etc.)

I'm on cable internet, with a Linksys WRT54G router

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
it finds the wireless router (shows the name on the screen) and i entered the correct WEP key, but it keeps saying that the connection failed. i have fios, btw (if that matters)...

brad

A friend of mine said he had to enter his IP addy manually to get it to work. This was also with FIOS, and seems to be a problem all FIOS users are having.

You might give that a shot.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:21 PM
truster of no one

what is the wep key,what does hooking it up to the net do?,my kids just got one today..

TRUE TEN 5 Stock Suspension Mustang

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:38 PM

i wouldnt waste my time on the ps3. their online network is pathetic at best.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboten5
what is the wep key,what does hooking it up to the net do?,my kids just got one today..

WEP is wireless encryption. A weak one, but stops most people. Your Router makes a key that looks like, AJMM2123NAS8121W0AM, and you have to input that into your ps3.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

i got it working after i installed the update that was on the motorstorm disc. i'm actally posting from it right now believe it or not.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
i got it working after i installed the update that was on the motorstorm disc. i'm actally posting from it right now believe it or not.
Sweet, can you kick my ass at pool on from it also?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Sweet, can you kick my ass at pool on from it also?
well it's setup in the gameroom near the pool table so maybe...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
well it's setup in the gameroom near the pool table so maybe...
Say when, woman!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Say when, woman!
we might be able to get together sometime this week or next week...depending on how my wife's family gtg's fall. i need some competition; i'm getting a little rusty!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Make sure your router has the latest firmware in it. That fixed my signal from the linksys so I could actually get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammin4V
i wouldnt waste my time on the ps3. their online network is pathetic at best.
You must own an Xbox?

Why should I pay $59 a year plus my internet fees to play some games online?

How many times has yours crashed?

Why should I purchase an adpator to get the Xbox Wireless?

Sucks you cant play Blue Rays as well...!

How about to play HD DVD's you gotta pay another 180 bucks for the add on piece.

Why not just buy a seperate HD player....

I could go on and on. but I wont.

Sure Xbox has more games, but that still wont push me to buy one. They are cheap and fragile and have ALOT of warranty issues to be resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
11-05-09

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
11-05-09

LOL @ the Jesus in the background.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately
You must own an Xbox?

Why should I pay $59 a year plus my internet fees to play some games online?

How many times has yours crashed?

Why should I purchase an adpator to get the Xbox Wireless?

Sucks you cant play Blue Rays as well...!

How about to play HD DVD's you gotta pay another 180 bucks for the add on piece.

Why not just buy a seperate HD player....

I could go on and on. but I wont.

Sure Xbox has more games, but that still wont push me to buy one. They are cheap and fragile and have ALOT of warranty issues to be resolved.
I've owned both since they came out and their online IS pathetic at best.

The reason they don't charge for it is, well, because they couldn't (not much anyways), due to the up-front cost, the game cost and then the very small online support, nobody would feel comfortable paying what they want.

When Sony releases the stuff they've been working since the PS3 realized (the whole online virtual village etc) they WILL be charging. I have resigned my PS3 to simply a BD player and server for my PSP and other stuff. It's a nice piece, but so far it's very underwhelming for anything having to do with gaming.

As far as reliability issues, I've never experienced any issue with mine and considering the overall sales numbers of them, most haven't either. However, I do understand and MS has said they had more issues than they would of liked to see and extended the warranty. However, trying to compare the 360 to the PS3 gaming wise, and especially online gaming wise, is just silly.

As far as the HD-player between the 2, it's obvious that Sony has more of a ve$ted interest in combining the BD capability with the PS3, as they have a strong stake in the media and need more than just their expensive, stand-alone players to be on the market. They did a smart and good job in combining the capability, but they really had no other choice. I would suspect that the 360 that the next round of 360's come with an optional included combo hd-dvd drive, however I think their focus will be more on online HD-content and that capability, which I believe is a good idea as well.

Overall, right now:

Gaming: 360>PS3

Movie Player: PS3>360

Just my $.25 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement