What are the diff between the 40 & 80

I do no do online playing at all.

All Geeks respond please. J/K.

One day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

The main difference that I can remember is that the 40gig is no backward compatible .

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

Last edited by Txstang1; 12-09-2007 at 08:33 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
老师

the 40 gig is the run down version, with no backwards compatability, smaller hard drive, and only two usb ports. the 80 gig is the first one that came out that people were bitching was too expensive, it has full backwards compatability to the ps1, has four usb ports, and has a bigger hard drive.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
NES Crew

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Lifer

It's like there's no point in posting anything electronic related anymore, it's all the same stuff, over and over again.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
duh...duh....duh

The 80 gig requires some fluid changes though too. Those add up after awhile on top of the initial investment that is not too cheap either.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Question

So, I wasted my my money by buying a 40gig for my son? He has a PS2 already with alot of games and that was one of the reasons he wanted PS3 (instead of a Wii of Xbox360) so he could play all of his PS2 games on the PS3, should I just sell it and buy him the 80gig? I read the linked thread as well but I still don't get it. I understand he can upgrade since he has 2 USB ports for an external HDD or maybe even upgrade the internal HDD but, am I reading this correctly, he will NOT be able to play his older PS2 games, even the online type games he has? thanks guy's...'Henry
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
NES Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
So, I wasted my my money by buying a 40gig for my son? He has a PS2 already with alot of games and that was one of the reasons he wanted PS3 (instead of a Wii of Xbox360) so he could play all of his PS2 games on the PS3, should I just sell it and buy him the 80gig? I read the linked thread as well but I still don't get it. I understand he can upgrade since he has 2 USB ports for an external HDD or maybe even upgrade the internal HDD but, am I reading this correctly, he will NOT be able to play his older PS2 games, even the online type games he has? thanks guy's...'Henry
I wouldn't say that you wasted your money.

The 40 gig PS3 does not have backwards compatibility. However, there is nothing saying that you have to get rid of your PS2. If you rather only have one Playstation, is it possible to return the 40 gig and get an 80 gig?

Here is a decent WSJ based article on why Sony wanted to get rid of backwards compatibility.

http://gamernode.com/News/4697-The-r...PS3/index.html
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin
the 40 gig is the run down version, with no backwards compatability, smaller hard drive, and only two usb ports. the 80 gig is the first one that came out that people were bitching was too expensive, it has full backwards compatability to the ps1, has four usb ports, and has a bigger hard drive.
Actually, originally it was a 20 gig and 60 gig version. Both had hardware backwards compatability built in. Priced at $499 and $599 respectively.

Then they retired the 20 gig, leaving just the 60 gig. Then they dropped it's price, and introduced the 80 gig in the 60's previous price bracket. The 80 gig removed hardware backwards compatability, and instead used a software/emulation method. This resulted in about 80% compatability of PS2 games, where the original hardware method was around 95%.

60 gig was then $499, and 80 gig was $599.

Then they retired the 60 gig, leaving just the 80 gig. Then they finally realized they needed to get into a lower price bracket with a quickness, so out comes the 40 gig, but this time removing PS2 backwards compatability entirely (you can still play PS1 games).

40 gig is $399, and 80 gig is now $499.

So, if backwards compatability is important, one needs to procure a 20 gig or 60 gig version if they can. Otherwise 80 gig is your only option.

Quote:
but, am I reading this correctly, he will NOT be able to play his older PS2 games, even the online type games he has?
Yep, unfortunately. If you're still in the return period, return the 40 gig and trade up to the 80 gig. Otherwise sell it and hopefully you can get full retail for it :-/

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

I just got a 40GB version... I will mainly use it for Blu Rays and PS3 games that aren't on XBox... I already have 2 360s a Premium and Elite, so I didn't see the need for the larger HD and 2 extra USB ports, and I still have my PS2 and PS1, so I didn't give two shits about backwards compatibility that may or may not work...

All that usless info being said, if its your only console, and you like to download demos and put music on it, get the 80GB... if you want to play older playstation games, get the 80 GB... if niether are important, save the 100 bucks, the 40gb is good enough.

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Actually, originally it was a 20 gig and 60 gig version. Both had hardware backwards compatability built in. Priced at $499 and $599 respectively.

Then they retired the 20 gig, leaving just the 60 gig. Then they dropped it's price, and introduced the 80 gig in the 60's previous price bracket. The 80 gig removed hardware backwards compatability, and instead used a software/emulation method. This resulted in about 80% compatability of PS2 games, where the original hardware method was around 95%.

60 gig was then $499, and 80 gig was $599.

Then they retired the 60 gig, leaving just the 80 gig. Then they finally realized they needed to get into a lower price bracket with a quickness, so out comes the 40 gig, but this time removing PS2 backwards compatability entirely (you can still play PS1 games).

40 gig is $399, and 80 gig is now $499.

So, if backwards compatability is important, one needs to procure a 20 gig or 60 gig version if they can. Otherwise 80 gig is your only option.

Yep, unfortunately. If you're still in the return period, return the 40 gig and trade up to the 80 gig. Otherwise sell it and hopefully you can get full retail for it :-/
right. i forgot they did that. anyways, i still have my ps2 so i couldnt give a fuck about what the 40 gig can or can't do, and about the usb ports, thats why they make wireless things
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
right. i forgot they did that. anyways, i still have my ps2 so i couldnt give a fuck about what the 40 gig can or can't do, and about the usb ports, thats why they make wireless things
Speaking of wireless things, the cool thing about having the 80g and playing PS2 games is that you can use the Bluetooth controller.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Yeah, I've still got my PS2 as well. But when I eventually get a PS3, I want the backwards compatability, so I can retire the PS2, but still be able to play my games

I did the same thing back when I got my PS2, and I retired my PS1, but continued to play the old games. And when the GBA came out. And the DS. And the Wii.

DarkWolf
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Lifer

I bought the 40 gig version. I played the PS2 out, got bored of it so I don't care if it has backwards capability and I don't download stuff much if at all. I only will play PS3 games and buy bluy ray movies

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticX
I bought the 40 gig version. I played the PS2 out, got bored of it so I don't care if it has backwards capability and I don't download stuff much if at all. I only will play PS3 games and buy bluy ray movies
good choice...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKD
All that usless info being said, if its your only console, and you like to download demos and put music on it, get the 80GB...
If you are only using it for that purpose, just buy the 40 gb and buy a much larger hard drive for the extra $100 .

Something not mentioned too, they removed the memory slots on the 40. Not sure if it is still on the 80 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz
you've gotta blow....THEN suck it down
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1
The main difference that I can remember is that the 40gig is no backward compatible .
Thats where you are wrong. It doesnt come with the software pre installed like on the 60 and 80 gigs. BUt you can go to the Playstation store online and download it for FREE to play PS2 games as well as 3.

Guys its only a software download away from playing ALL OF YOUR PS2 and 1 games. It just only has 2 USB ports for the controllers meaning you cant play games like Rock band that use up to 4 controllers if you play like a band would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately
Thats where you are wrong. It doesnt come with the software pre installed like on the 60 and 80 gigs. BUt you can go to the Playstation store online and download it for FREE to play PS2 games as well as 3.

Guys its only a software download away from playing ALL OF YOUR PS2 and 1 games. It just only has 2 USB ports for the controllers meaning you cant play games like Rock band that use up to 4 controllers if you play like a band would.

Ummm...No

# What is the difference between the 80GB and 40GB configurations?

Both the 80GB and 40GB PS3 models come standard with Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.), Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) player, built-in HDD, 1080p high-definition output, Wi-Fi connectivity and SIXAXIS™ wireless controller.

In addition to the larger HDD capacity, the 80GB model focuses on offering the incredible graphic quality, stunning gameplay, improved audio and visual fidelity that PS3 games are known for by maintaining the PlayStation®2 backwards compatibility through software instead of hardware. The new 40GB model will also be packaged with the Spider-Man™3 movie on Blu-ray Disc. The 40GB model does not have PS2 backwards compatibility, although does maintain backwards compatibility for original PlayStation titles. The 40GB PS3 has 2 USB ports, where the 80GB PS3 has 4 USB ports. In addition, the 40GB PS3 does not have the multi-media memory card slots. Consumers can use a variety of after-market accessories for transferring their media to PS3 via the USB ports.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/faq
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:08 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:

Um, no.

Unless you can provide a link to back up your claim, I call bullshit.

The software backwards compatibility relied on software to emulate the Emotion Engine (cpu) of the PS2, and it relied on the Graphics Synthesizer (gpu) hardware to do the rendering. Presumably because the RSX chip isn't powerful enough to get real-time results.

The 40gb model didn't just drop a simple software package, it removes the physical GS chip as well.

DarkWolf
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
老师

Quote:
I did the same thing back when I got my PS2, and I retired my PS1, but continued to play the old games. And when the GBA came out. And the DS. And the Wii.

jet moto anyone? i fucking loved this game...
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Um, no.

Unless you can provide a link to back up your claim, I call bullshit.

The software backwards compatibility relied on software to emulate the Emotion Engine (cpu) of the PS2, and it relied on the Graphics Synthesizer (gpu) hardware to do the rendering. Presumably because the RSX chip isn't powerful enough to get real-time results.

The 40gb model didn't just drop a simple software package, it removes the physical GS chip as well.

Here you go dude. I cant provide the link to the software because im on my PC right now.

"#

# Can I still play my PlayStation®2 games, DVD movie, and CD music collection on PLAYSTATION®3?

Yes, you can play your DVD and CD collection, as well thousands of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles on your 80GB PS3. . Many PlayStation®2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility. Visit www.us.playstation.com for system software updates."

See the bold. YOu can go online via your PS3 and its the software NOT the hardware itself that plays the PS2 games. You can download the software BUT it does take up 10GB of space on your hard drive.

Do you even own a PS3 or you just another tire kicker? Im guessing a tire kicker. No one calls bluff on me, im not here to mislead anyone in anyway. Yes, I do own a PS3 and just so happens to be a 60 GB unit, but I was browsing the PLaystation online store and saw the software to download for FREE. I asked the nice folks at GameStop if it was true and indeed they confirmed my claim but did warn of the size of space it takes up.

PS mother fucker.

Go to Playstation store on the PS3.

Log in. Go to View all. Look under the O-P category. Go to the P's and look at PS2 System Data. Download it and you are FUCKING PLAYING PS2 GAMES ON THE PS3 with the 40 gb. Now suck some dick bitches. Bet neither of you have PS3's for sho!

Quote:
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...

Last edited by Beenfetchedlately; 12-16-2007 at 12:28 AM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Hmm... PS mother fucker?

Before you start beating your chest, you might want to re-read exactly what it is you posted. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Quote:
Here you go dude. I cant provide the link to the software because im on my PC right now.

"#

# Can I still play my PlayStation®2 games, DVD movie, and CD music collection on PLAYSTATION®3?

Yes, you can play your DVD and CD collection, as well thousands of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles on your 80GB PS3. . Many PlayStation®2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility. Visit www.us.playstation.com for system software updates."

See the bold. YOu can go online via your PS3 and its the software NOT the hardware itself that plays the PS2 games. You can download the software BUT it does take up 10GB of space on your hard drive.

Do you even own a PS3 or you just another tire kicker? Im guessing a tire kicker. No one calls bluff on me, im not here to mislead anyone in anyway. Yes, I do own a PS3 and just so happens to be a 60 GB unit, but I was browsing the PLaystation online store and saw the software to download for FREE. I asked the nice folks at GameStop if it was true and indeed they confirmed my claim but did warn of the size of space it takes up.

PS mother fucker.

Go to Playstation store on the PS3.

Log in. Go to View all. Look under the O-P category. Go to the P's and look at PS2 System Data. Download it and you are FUCKING PLAYING PS2 GAMES ON THE PS3 with the 40 gb. Now suck some dick bitches. Bet neither of you have PS3's for sho!
Failure is you.

And to make absolute certain you're clear on this:
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

Quote:
40GB PLAYSTATION®3 System
This model of the PLAYSTATION®3 system is designed to play PLAYSTATION®3 format software and has limited backward compatibility. This system is not compatible with and will not play PlayStation®2 format software. Some PlayStation® format software may play on this system.

DarkWolf
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Hmm... PS mother fucker?

Before you start beating your chest, you might want to re-read exactly what it is you posted. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Failure is you.
I'm sitting online with my PS3 you stupid fuck. If I could copy and paste from the store I would.

Like I said....Answer this. DO you own one right now? If not SHUT THE FUCK UP!

If that was the case, why am I finding the software download in the Playstation store? ITS THERE FOR THE UNITS THAT DIDN'T COME WITH IT PRE-INSTALLED!!! Gee wally, Im a bright mother fucker!

You're the webmaster...LMGDAO!

Quote:
Quote:
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Hmm... PS mother fucker?

Failure is you.

And to make absolute certain you're clear on this:
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

[/size][/font]
Like I asked earlier and already know....Do you OWN ONE?

Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I went looking for your PS2 System Data. It's there alright. You wanna know what it's for?

It's for PS2 games that needed to install data to the hard drive. The only major one being Final Fantasy XI. But there were a few others that also used the PS2 HDD.

If you don't play the games that needed the PS2 HDD, then you don't need the PS2 System Data update.

I know it hurts to be wrong, but continuing to make yourself look like a jack ass isn't going to suddenly make things right.

[edit]Here's the official link to information about the PS2 System Data
http://manual.playstation.net/docume...ddinstall.html

It has nothing to do with backwards compatibility.

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-16-2007 at 01:16 AM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:04 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Seriously, dude... you're not helping yourself.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/faq
"Can I still play my PlayStation®2 games, DVD movie, and CD music collection on PLAYSTATION®3?

Yes, you can play your DVD and CD collection, as well thousands of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles on your 80GB PS3. . Many PlayStation®2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility. Visit www.us.playstation.com for system software updates.

The 40GB PS3, however, does not include PlayStation 2 compatibility."

It's on their FAQ, it's on their support pages. The 40GB PS3 does NOT have backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

Give it up.

Quote:
Like I said....Answer this. DO you own one right now? If not SHUT THE FUCK UP!
What the fuck does it matter if I own one? Christ dude, SONY SAYS IT'S NOT COMPATIBLE. They don't say "It's not compatible, unless you download this software upate." They say it's not compatible. Period. END OF FUCKING STORY.

DarkWolf
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Lifer

As far as I know, Darkwolf is correct. I own a 60gb and my brother-in-law owns the 40, he can't play ps2 games.

Quote:
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:

Does Rock Band uses corded controllers? You don't need USB ports to have multiple wirless controllers.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Does Rock Band uses corded controllers? You don't need USB ports to have multiple wirless controllers.
I'm not certain, but I think Rock Band uses wired equipment.

Well, according to this, the guitar can be wireless. The mic is wired (however, it lets 360 users use their headset, so maybe you could do the same with a bluetooth headset on the PS3). I couldn't find anything on the drums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_(video_game)#Instrument_peripherals

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement