Looking for new digital camera... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Question Looking for new digital camera...

Anybody have or heard about these HP's? It's $200 at Wal-Mart and wanted to get a new one for me. I dont do any photography or anything..jus something to use whenever..either that HP..or this Sony..which is $100 bucks more..anyone got anything to say about them??
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Ph...il.do#proddesc
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

'89 LX Hatchback 5.0 - 306, GT40 intake, Trickflow Fast As Cast 190cc, stock cam, 1.6 RR's, UD pullies, 3.73's, BBK shorties, Mac off-road H pipe, Flowmaster 44 series, Stage 2 clutch, Hurst shifter, k-member, control arms, coil-overs, 5-lug'd.
**14.2 @ 96 before motor build**14.3 @ 103 after motor rebuild** leaving off idle, grinding into 2nd gear, missing 3rd gear, on street tires. Need a good T5. Or a decent price on a rebuild. PM me?

Last edited by 306LX; 12-02-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 AM
PVC Racing

looks kinda of expensive IMO. But I have always just dealt with Kodak so those might be worth it. But my dad just order this one and it looks pretty sweet. makes me jealous cause now i want one,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186007546740

if I didn't just buy some christmas gifts and had more to buy i would get this.

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert

I have the 7 megapixel version of the Sony and I love it.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Sony and Casio are the better point and click cameras IMO. HP and Kodak simply have lower quality light sensors.

This Casio is the same as mine except it is a megapixel more in resolution:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Casio...oductDetail.do

7megapixels is enough for you to make an 8x10 picture.

In fact the the point and click cameras have a drawback with having these higher megapixel sensors. Point and click cameras have smaller aperture openings than something like a DSLR. When the aperture is too small, the picture quality can be affected especially in lower light situations.

Casio quality is really good too. Pretty much on par with Sony.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
I have the 7 megapixel version of the Sony and I love it.
yeah i really like that one too..i want a really slim camera..not that Kodak up there. The Sony looks cool..has great reviews..i might go up to Best Buy & Circuit City and see what they say about them.

'89 LX Hatchback 5.0 - 306, GT40 intake, Trickflow Fast As Cast 190cc, stock cam, 1.6 RR's, UD pullies, 3.73's, BBK shorties, Mac off-road H pipe, Flowmaster 44 series, Stage 2 clutch, Hurst shifter, k-member, control arms, coil-overs, 5-lug'd.
**14.2 @ 96 before motor build**14.3 @ 103 after motor rebuild** leaving off idle, grinding into 2nd gear, missing 3rd gear, on street tires. Need a good T5. Or a decent price on a rebuild. PM me?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Canon.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
\(_o)/

Taking with a Canon Rebel.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
You never go full retard

Here's the thing, any little pocket cam like that over 6 or 7 really becomes useless as the number of mega pixels go up. And I say that because the sensors on those cameras are going to be such low quality and so small that you really waste your money on buying an 8mp camera like that. If you're looking for a nice pocket camera like that i'd would check out the the sony, nikon, or canon line. Stay around 6mp, because you really won't notice any better picture quality between 6-8mp on a small camera pic like that.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I love Meat.

Kodak V1253 Zoom Digital Camera- 12 Mega Pixels

This is the digital camera I just bought and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...colorKey=black

2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Undietaker is my hero.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Kodak V1253 Zoom Digital Camera- 12 Mega Pixels

This is the digital camera I just bought and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...colorKey=black
As stated in my post above, you're really wasting money on a 12 mega pixel camera like that. You'll never get the 12mega pixel quality photos like you would think and that's because the sensors in those cameras are so small and of such low quality. Those little pocket cams are really only good up to about 6mega pixels.

For anyone that's looking for a quality camera review site then check these places out:

www.dpreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com
http://www.dcresource.com/

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I love Meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
As stated in my post above, you're really wasting money on a 12 mega pixel camera like that. You'll never get the 12mega pixel quality photos like you would think and that's because the sensors in those cameras are so small and of such low quality. Those little pocket cams are really only good up to about 6mega pixels.

For anyone that's looking for a quality camera review site then check these places out:

www.dpreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com
http://www.dcresource.com/
Not really worried about it.

2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
This is exactly why if I ever have a daughter, I'm going to teach her to swallow early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Undietaker is my hero.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by Undertaker; 12-03-2007 at 02:28 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

One of the problems i had with my old digital cam..its a Sanyo VPC-503 with 5 megapixels..one thing i dont like is how long it takes to actually take the picture..it flashes like 2 times then once more to actually capture the picture..that thing kinda pisses me off cuz if im with my gurl jus takin some quick pics for myspace..i have to hold the pic in front of us for like 5 seconds..i want to just click the button and want it to just TAKE the picture like right then..no flashes no bullcrap. Is that the "point and click" cams?? I want a nice slim camera that i can just use whenever..no bulkyness. Just a nice decent digital cam that i can take pics of me and my girlfriend and my car later in the future. Reccomendations?

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Don't fall into the Megapixel trap like most idiot consumers do. Anything more than 6 or 8 is too much unless you turn your pictures into wall-covering murals. Do some research and read as many reviews as you can. I was in the same boat 3 months ago when needing a compact point and shoot for vacation. After literally a couple weeks of research, I decided on the Canon SD850IS. It was the best camera in my price range and had features most of the other manufacturers don't.

All point and shoots will have some delay between pressing the button and the picture taking, you just have to find the models that have the least. That was one positive for the Canon I chose.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Check out the Canon ELPH series cameras.

Canon ELPH

Great pics, ok vids and fits in your back pocket.

Edit: and make sure you pick up at least 1GB memory card.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Don't fall into the Megapixel trap like most idiot consumers do. Anything more than 6 or 8 is too much unless you turn your pictures into wall-covering murals. Do some research and read as many reviews as you can. I was in the same boat 3 months ago when needing a compact point and shoot for vacation. After literally a couple weeks of research, I decided on the Canon SD850IS. It was the best camera in my price range and had features most of the other manufacturers don't.

All point and shoots will have some delay between pressing the button and the picture taking, you just have to find the models that have the least. That was one positive for the Canon I chose.
Nice cam..how much was it? Do you know if it comes in any other colors? I was wanting a white-ish cam..I'm done with the silver lol..tired of it. Either white or black..

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstang
Nice cam..how much was it? Do you know if it comes in any other colors? I was wanting a white-ish cam..I'm done with the silver lol..tired of it. Either white or black..

You dont buy a camera based on it's color, you buy it based on it's performance and picture quality. That's seriously the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
You dont buy a camera based on it's color, you buy it based on it's performance and picture quality. That's seriously the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
I didn't say i was buying based on color..that would jus be a plus. Gosh! What would you say is the best camera in the $250-$350 price range?

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:07 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Taking with a Canon Rebel.
And a terrible depth of field setting. The Duc is out of focus! Rebels aren't point and shoot, they are complete overkill for anyone looking for something to carry around in a pocket. Great cameras but it's like someone buying an F-1 car to autocross.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I didn't say i was buying based on color..that would jus be a plus. Gosh! What would you say is the best camera in the $250-$350 price range?

It really depends on what you're going for... do you want something strictly point and shoot, do you want something with a few programmable features, are you looking for something with a better image sensor, something with a better lens?

Something that fits right in your pocket, something that's just small and compact, something with a flip out screen?

There's alot to consider...

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
And a terrible depth of field setting. The Duc is out of focus! Rebels aren't point and shoot, they are complete overkill for anyone looking for something to carry around in a pocket. Great cameras but it's like someone buying an F-1 car to autocross.
sup i just point and click, some of the pictures came out insanely bad ass.

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
sup i just point and click, some of the pictures came out insanely bad ass.
While that is true, you would do vastly better to learn a bit more about it.

In that picture, it isn't that the Ducati is out of focus, the problem is the aperture setting. Aperture settings would allow objects further away to be out of focus while nearer objects are in focus. The opposite can be done as well. But in this case you wanted both bikes in focus. Learning about Aperture settings, ISO, and white balance can get you great pictures more often than not...

BTW, the Canon Rebel is a fine assed camera. I'd say its better than my Olympus E-volt 500.

Here's a bit of what I've done with it...

But I was able to do this with just a point and click Casio EX-Z60

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I paid $300 for it back in Sept. It's down to $255 now with a free memory card and case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120208

This site is the best when it comes to comparing cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

And this site is GREAT for reviews: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd850-review/

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Lifer

My future camera of choice..

Canon G9

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...3.html?tag=txt

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

If someone on here could just help me out really quick..i am really leaning towards this camera. If anyone knows..pros n cons? Anyone have this camera?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1183160353618

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
If someone on here could just help me out really quick..i am really leaning towards this camera. If anyone knows..pros n cons? Anyone have this camera?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1183160353618
not a bad camera, for a pocket point and shoot... Anything in the sony, nikon and canon lines is going to be pretty rock solid.

It has some internal storage but not much, so plan on picking up a pro duo memory stick, and since it uses proprietary rechargeable batteries it would be a good idea to buy an extra to have charged and ready is need be

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
You never go full retard

That's a pretty decent little camera... as jake stated, make sure you pick up a good memory stick. Also if you're planing on shooting at a 3200 ISO you'll need a small tripod because there's no way you're holding that thing still enough for night shots.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
That's a pretty decent little camera... as jake stated, make sure you pick up a good memory stick. Also if you're planing on shooting at a 3200 ISO you'll need a small tripod because there's no way you're holding that thing still enough for night shots.
Sorry i dont know much about cameras..just the basics..what is this ISO stuff? Not really planning on taking pics at night..but would be nice to know all that i can..

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Sorry i dont know much about cameras..just the basics..what is this ISO stuff? Not really planning on taking pics at night..but would be nice to know all that i can..
This is a basic example and by no means technical...

ISO is the sensitivity of the sensor to light. If you increase he ISO numerically you are making the sensor more sensitive to light and will help to get proper exposure in low light situations. I'm guessing this camera probably starts at 80, and then goes to 3200. You always want to use the lowest possible ISO setting and still have proper exposure. Think of it like an audio recording, there is always some noise (hiss etc) in the background, at low volume levels its not noticeable, as you turn up the volume it gets louder and much more noticeable. Same with ISO settings; as you increase the sensitivity it is going to pick up more "noise" and create grainy images, its worse when dealing with small, lower quality sensors on point and shoot cameras.

For the most part you will never mess with this setting, since you will most likely stick to auto mode most of the time. On a camera like this, anything above ISO 800 I would guess is unusable for even regular prints. The quality is going to be shitty, that said it will be rare that you need anything this high unless you're doing a lot of night time shooting without a flash etc. In the case you were doing this type of photography then you wouldn't be looking at these type of cameras

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
For the most part you will never mess with this setting, since you will most likely stick to auto mode most of the time. On a camera like this, anything above ISO 800 I would guess is unusable for even regular prints. The quality is going to be shitty, that said it will be rare that you need anything this high unless you're doing a lot of night time shooting without a flash etc. In the case you were doing this type of photography then you wouldn't be looking at these type of cameras
Well im sure i will end up takin pics at nite..so i might jus go ahead n pick this camera up..u guys say its a good cam..and it looks sexy haha..thanks guys.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Well im sure i will end up takin pics at nite..so i might jus go ahead n pick this camera up..u guys say its a good cam..and it looks sexy haha..thanks guys.
Before you just go buy a camera, go over to a best buy of circuit city and handle the cameras, play with the features, check out the interface and see what you like. For all you know you could get there and hate how the camera feels. Get what's in your price range and feels comfortable.

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Say What?

Quote:
Before you just go buy a camera, go over to a best buy of circuit city and handle the cameras, play with the features, check out the interface and see what you like. For all you know you could get there and hate how the camera feels. Get what's in your price range and feels comfortable.
I will be sure to test out some cams before i put it on my Christmas list Thanks for that bro..

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I will be sure to test out some cams before i put it on my Christmas list Thanks for that bro..
I made that mistake whenever I bought my first rebel 35mm... I bought $1100 worth of camera equipment and returned it all 4 days later. All because I didn't take the time to see how it felt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement