Toshiba or Western Digital for MacBook HD upgrade? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Toshiba or Western Digital for MacBook HD upgrade?

Between those two what would you go with. Both have pretty much the same specs and the same price with the Toshiba being slightly thinner and slightly cheaper (9.5mm thin and a buck cheaper).

Looking to upgrade my MacBook HD from 80GB to 160GB and use the OE HD in an external USB Powered Firewire HD Enclosure to have some extra portable storage on the fly that doesn't need to be plugged into an AC outlet. With a bunch of music, pictures, and ripped movies (not to mention WinXP and Ubunto loaded up in Parallels) I'm constantly having to deal with 5 GB or less of free HD space

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Between those two what would you go with. Both have pretty much the same specs and the same price with the Toshiba being slightly thinner and slightly cheaper (9.5mm thin and a buck cheaper).

Looking to upgrade my MacBook HD from 80GB to 160GB and use the OE HD in an external USB Powered Firewire HD Enclosure to have some extra portable storage on the fly that doesn't need to be plugged into an AC outlet. With a bunch of music, pictures, and ripped movies (not to mention WinXP and Ubunto loaded up in Parallels) I'm constantly having to deal with 5 GB or less of free HD space

Damn, sounds like you've got alot of shit on there for a laptop. Did you already add extra memory to that?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Damn, sounds like you've got alot of shit on there for a laptop. Did you already add extra memory to that?
Running 2GB (upgraded from 512MB and paid close to $200 for it when I first got the laptop back in Summer 2006).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Running 2GB (upgraded from 512MB and paid close to $200 for it when I first got the laptop back in Summer 2006).

Good man... I couldn't really answer your other question, just wanted to make sure you upgraded the ram though.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Lifer

well, if it was me, i would go with the WD
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

yea western digital seems to be more known

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Two weeks ago, I upgraded my macbook pro with a western digital 2.5" SATA 250GB drive. MicroCenter had it for $149.99.

No problems thus far.

I also upgraded the memory to 3GB. Hella fast just went up to Ludicrous Speed
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Jose, you've got an Intel based notebook, right? If so, double check the compatibility of the Toshiba before getting it. Not all notebook drives will work in a Mac.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Two weeks ago, I upgraded my macbook pro with a western digital 2.5" SATA 250GB drive. MicroCenter had it for $149.99.

No problems thus far.

I also upgraded the memory to 3GB. Hella fast just went up to Ludicrous Speed
Whats the most you can upgrade those to for memory?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Jose, you've got an Intel based notebook, right? If so, double check the compatibility of the Toshiba before getting it. Not all notebook drives will work in a Mac.
I've got a 2GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I'm buying it from OWC.com and they have specific categories for Intel processors and Pre-Intel so I'm sure this brand and model HD should work.

How much RAM where you running before the 3GB? I'm running 2GB and no problems what so ever but I'm far from a power user. Only reason I bought the 2GB was to make sure I didn't have issues with running Parallels and a few apps along with OS X at the same time.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Whats the most you can upgrade those to for memory?
I think 4GB.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I think 4GB.

Damn... is that one of the brand new Macbook Pro's?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Damn... is that one of the brand new Macbook Pro's?
I'm just going by the max option of memory when ordering from Apple's website. Just curious but would you need more than 4GB?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The NEW MacBook Pros (that came out in July) can access up to 4GB or RAM.

However anything older than that (like mine) can only access 3GB or RAM. Even though you can plug 2 x 2GB SoDIMMs in it, there is a motherboard limitation that keeps it from addressing anything over 3GB.

I had 2GB originally but I've upgraded to 3GB because I'm running multiple virtual machines in a lab. One is Win2k3, the other is a virtualized install of VMware ESX3i. I also do a ton of other things (at the same time) that simply behave better with enough RAM.

I'm thinking about buying a MacPro tower next year.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

What virtualization software are you using?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I'm just going by the max option of memory when ordering from Apple's website. Just curious but would you need more than 4GB?

The only reason you'd need more then 4GB of ram for a laptop is if you were constantly working with programs like Final Cut Pro, or 3D animation programs where you're rendering stuff. 4GB of ram for a laptop is more then enough for everyday work. I just didn't realize they were explandable to that much.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
The only reason you'd need more then 4GB of ram for a laptop is if you were constantly working with programs like Final Cut Pro, or 3D animation programs where you're rendering stuff. 4GB of ram for a laptop is more then enough for everyday work. I just didn't realize they were explandable to that much.
I would think that if you were doing a bunch of that stuff they wouldn't be on a laptop.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I would think that if you were doing a bunch of that stuff they wouldn't be on a laptop.

You'd be surprised... I've got a buddy that has one of the 17inch Powerbook G4's and he does a ton of video editing on it. Reason he uses a lap top is because of all the travel he does, so he can edit videos on the fly. I also have yet to see Final Cut Pro on a PC.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Just curious but would you need more than 4GB?
You can get up to 16 gb of ram in a MacPro!

We have 8 gb of ram in the MacPro in my a/v tech class at my school, but it also is used almost solely for rendering and exporting video, so that 8gb of ram is a big timesaver for us.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
You can get up to 16 gb of ram in a MacPro!

We have 8 gb of ram in the MacPro in my a/v tech class at my school, but it also is used almost solely for rendering and exporting video, so that 8gb of ram is a big timesaver for us.

Well fuck me.... i couldn't imagine a laptop with that much. But i know when i've used Maya and 3D studio max in the past i've wished I had more ram on the computer i was using.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
What virtualization software are you using?
VMware Fusion. Parallels is fine but Fusion seems to be more stable and does a better job of supporting 3D rendering on DirectX 8 and 9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement