Video card advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Video card advice

Been doing some research on my next vid card, narrowed it down to the 8800GTS and the 8800GT. The GT is the newer card with PCIe 2.0. I'm already getting a motherboard that does not have PCIe 2.0. Will this card not work on this motherboard or can I still use it? The GT outperforms the GTS and uses less power, also is slim (1 slot, not 2) and lastly the GT is cheaper. I'd much rather order the GT, but again, can I use it?

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
The Janitor

Is an 8800 GTX out of the cards (pun not intended)?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
Been doing some research on my next vid card, narrowed it down to the 8800GTS and the 8800GT. The GT is the newer card with PCIe 2.0. I'm already getting a motherboard that does not have PCIe 2.0. Will this card not work on this motherboard or can I still use it? The GT outperforms the GTS and uses less power, also is slim (1 slot, not 2) and lastly the GT is cheaper. I'd much rather order the GT, but again, can I use it?

PCI Express 2.0

PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[2] PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. PCIe 2.0 is still compatible with PCIe 1.1, so older cards will still be able to work in machines with this new version.

The PCI-SIG also said PCIe 2.0 also features improvements to the point-to-point data transfer protocol and its software architecture.[3]

In June 2007 Intel released the specification of the P35 chipset which does not support PCIe 2.0 only PCIe 1.1.[4] Some people may be confused by the P35 block diagram[5] which states the Intel P35 has a PCIe x16 graphics link (8 GB/s) and 6 PCIe x1 links (500 MB/s each), for simple verification one can view the P965 block diagram which shows the same number of lanes and bandwidth but was released before PCIe 2.0 was finalized. Intel's first PCIe 2.0 capable chipset is the X38 and boards are already shipping from various vendors (Abit, Asus, Gigabyte) as of October 21, 2007.[6] AMD starts supporting PCIe 2.0 from its RD700 chipset series. NVIDIA has revealed that the MCP72 will be their first PCIe 2.0 equipped chipset.[7]

Q5: Then PCIe 2.0 must be backward compatible with PCIe 1.1 and 1.0?
A5: Yes. The PCIe Base 2.0 specification supports both the 2.5GT/s and 5GT/s signaling technologies. A device designed to the PCIe Base 2.0 specification may support 2.5GT/s, 5GT/s or both. However, a device designed to operate specifically at 5GT/s must also support 2.5GT/s signaling. The PCIe Base specification covers chip-to-chip topologies on the system board. For I/O extensibility across PCIe connectors, the Card Electromechanical (CEM) and ExpressModule™ specifications will also need to be updated, but this work will not impact mechanical compatibility of the slots, cards or modules. Currently, the PCI-SIG is defining the PCIe CEM 2.0 specification which has been released to members for review at v0.5. There are currently no plans to adapt the PCIe Mini CEM specification for the faster bit rate as the market need has not yet materialized.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
Is an 8800 GTX out of the cards (pun not intended)?
Its not an option right now. The GT offers increased performance over the GTS for less money and is a middle-ground between the GTS and GTX. The GTX will be replaced by the 9800 series Q1 or Q2 next year and on top of that the GTX card is over a year old. The GT just came out and will not be outdated nearly as quickly as the GTX. It is a single PCIe slot card, uses less power to do more than the GTS and runs PCIe 2.0

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

That tells me a PCIe 2.0 motherboard will accept older cards. But will a PCIe 2.0 card work in older motherboards?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 AM
The Janitor

From what i gather on the Nvidia website, the 8800 GT is lesser performing than the GTX, so im not sure how the 88000 will be "dated" before the GT will be.

However, if the GT is slimmer, it should be easier if you have a smaller case or want to fit two of them in. I have no idea how hot the GT's run, but my GTX is a hot motherfucker.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
From what i gather on the Nvidia website, the 8800 GT is lesser performing than the GTX, so im not sure how the 88000 will be "dated" before the GT will be.

However, if the GT is slimmer, it should be easier if you have a smaller case or want to fit two of them in. I have no idea how hot the GT's run, but my GTX is a hot motherfucker.
The 8800GT has a faster core clock (700mhz) compared to the GTX (575) and faster memory (2000mhz) compared to the GTX (1800mhz). It does have less memory (768 vs 512) but even with the speed it uses less power, produces less heat and takes up less room. Also it is running on PCIe 2.0 standard so its throughput can be twice that of a typical PCIe 16x slot which makes its potential much greater than that of a GTX. I believe the GPU's architecture is smaller too (65 vs 55 i think it is)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement