video card upgrade - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

video card upgrade

Ok so I'm looking at replacing my video card but I'm way out of the loop on what's out and what would be a good choice to replace mine with.

My system is about 5 years old but still runs like a champ and is as follows:

2.6 Pentium 4
1gig DDR ram
128Mb GeForce4 4600 TI.

I'm looking for somthing that will preform better then my current card, probably a 256mb card but I don't want to have to replace the power supply. Any recommendations?

I was thinking going with a GeForce FX 5200 but wanted to see what you would recommend.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
11-05-09

the 5200 isn't much of an upgrade. shoot higher. Try something in the 6xxx series.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I appreciate the input. As I stated, I haven't bought a video card since I got the computer so I'm way behind on what's out.

Here's another question, if I go and get another 1gb of memory, will that help the performance of my video card at all?

And does anyone know of a site where it will tell me what sort of power supply is needed to run a particular video card?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Last edited by MotoMan; 11-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
I appreciate the input. As I stated, I haven't bought a video card since I got the computer so I'm way behind on what's out.

Here's another question, if I go and get another 1gb of memory, will that help the performance of my video card at all?

Honestly, it may be time to upgrade that pc. I have one thats about 3 years old, and wouldn't run my games properly. I had to build a new one.

Another gig of ram will definately help the pc run better, but *don't* think it will help the video card very much. What memory do you have? DDR? SD? What hz?

The processor might also be a bottleneck on that too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Yeah I was thinking that it might need to be upgraded and I'm trying to do so without having to buy a new one. I currently have 1gb of DDR memory and it's a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4. It's got an extra slot to put another 1gb of memory. I know that most standard memory is DDR2 now and I think to run DDR2 memory I would need to get a new motherboard.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Lifer

well, the computer you have is way better then mine. i have Athalon 1.2ghz, 512ram and a Nvidia Gforce FX5200 128mb card. i only play one game, and it runs that one pretty good, i just know my computer as a whole slows it down
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

If I could rebuild it with much new components I would. But I have no clue where to start on motherboards, hard drives and such. I know it could probably use new USB ports as well. I don't need a computer that's maxed out for graphics and such but it would be nice to build one that is able to keep up with the much newer games.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

it should say on the box of the card how much power it needs. you'll probably need to upgrade the power supply most likely.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Lifer

Check tiger direct for a bare bone kit, they have ran some good deals lately. Build up time!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
it should say on the box of the card how much power it needs. you'll probably need to upgrade the power supply most likely.
Yeah i figured that. I was just trying to see what my current videocard required and I was going to see if there was anything worth upgrading to based off of that.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Check tiger direct for a bare bone kit, they have ran some good deals lately. Build up time!!

I'll check them out.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent price for the set up if I'm wanting something geared a little more towards gaming?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6888&CatId=333

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
dead

we are at about the same place. i have a ti4800 and an amd xp 2800+ setup.

going to look at going with an:

intel e6750 core 2 duo processor
2 gb ddr2
nvidia 8800gt
sata 2 drives

not sure on mobo, probably better/best intel mobo with 2 x16 pci slots. idk, never built an intel system before and thinking about trying it out.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
Can anyone tell me if this is a decent price for the set up if I'm wanting something geared a little more towards gaming?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6888&CatId=333

not bad.

keep in mind you will need to buy hard drive, dvd/cd drive, and vid card too.

so add like 300 bux more to that price.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
we are at about the same place. i have a ti4800 and an amd xp 2800+ setup.

going to look at going with an:

intel e6750 core 2 duo processor
2 gb ddr2
nvidia 8800gt
sata 2 drives

not sure on mobo, probably better/best intel mobo with 2 x16 pci slots. idk, never built an intel system before and thinking about trying it out.
I'm VERY happy with my intel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement