External HDD and Backup Software - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
External HDD and Backup Software

I am looking into getting these items but need some advice/opinions.

I don't need a ginormus drive, something under say 150gig preferable USB2.0/Firewire and 7200 RPM.

Backup Software: Is this good? Yay/Nay and why or recommend please.

Thanks,
Bryan

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Gunga galunga

what do you want to back up... Enitire system, or just data?

Most of the retail external drives come with backup software that will do data, if you want to backup the OS then I would look into norton ghost.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

<---- kinda clueless about this stuff.

Pros-cons of both prease.

I guess doing the whole shabang would be easier than reloading OS and all updates... or is it not just that easy to do a "ghost"?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Gunga galunga

Ghost basically makes an image of your hard drive. So if you have crash, or you just want to go back to fresh/clean install you can do quickly.

Personally my desktop has two partitions, C: has windows, and software. D: music, videos, emails, documents, etc. etc.

I use ghost for my C drive. After I last installed XP got it completely up to date, and installed any software that I always need, I made an image with ghost and put that on my external drive. For my data, i try to back it up twice a month staight to the drive on seperate partition. I do this because I can get to my data using my external drive with my laptop aswell.

"Apres moi le deluge"

Last edited by jakesford; 11-01-2007 at 08:42 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 AM
duh...duh....duh

I basically do the same as jakesford. I put all the interesting stuff on an external drive, but create an image after the intial OS and apps are installed, patched and working well. That image is backed up to a NAS that is also backed up...

My "gaming" pc is like 4-5 years old so I can afford to run any AV...etc on it. So I just reimage every so often or when I feel it is getting sluggish. However, an OS image is perfectly acceptable for a backup of it. Takes about 30-60 minutes to be running 100% again too. Pretty slick.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Jakesford is pretty much right on for an entire system backup. However I recommend Acronis over Ghost. I've had lots of success with the Server and Home versions of it.

However if you just want to backup files and folders, you can use NTbackup which is included in Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

This is my recommendation:
1. Get Acronis and make a full image backup of your system every 3 to 6 months.
2. Use NTBackup to backup files and folders that you don't want to lose. Run NTBackup every day or week depending on how often you want files backed up. You can schedule it to run automatically.....

As for me, I now use TimeMachine for the Mac. It backs up everything on the fly. If my system dies, I just put in my OSX install disk and perform a restore from the USB drive. TimeMachine is incredibly powerful but simple to use. But that's to be expected from an Apple product
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 AM
The token Asian guy

For the less nerdy approach....

I just have an external USB drive. It is normally powered off unless I'm saving files. Once in a while, I turn the USB drive on then drag and drop specific folders onto the USB drive. When it's done copying, I turn it off. End of story.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
duh...duh....duh

1. You're approach is the nerdy approach.
2. Bad idea to just turn off a USB drive when connected, can cause data corruption.
3. The other posts thus far are the Geek approach, with a capital G. Far superior to the nerd approach with the lower case n.
4. Nerd solution does nothing for OS restoration if there is a problem.
5. Nerd solution does not account for corruption on both main and backup drive. (however unlikely)

Bow to the Gs.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
The token Asian guy

I tell Windows to disconnect the USB drive before I power it off. Restoring an OS is for wusses. I rebuild the whole thing when needed. Apps, updates and all. There's some level of pleasure it that. More fun than just restoring an image that's going to need updates anyway.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
I tell Windows to disconnect the USB drive before I power it off. Restoring an OS is for wusses. I rebuild the whole thing when needed. Apps, updates and all. There's some level of pleasure it that. More fun than just restoring an image that's going to need updates anyway.
Ya see, thats why you are a Nerd.

While you spend hours reinstalling your OS, reinstalling your apps, installing patches, blah blah blah.... We've done a complete restore and are getting laid...

This is why Nerds are virgins. They're too busy rebuilding their computers.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
duh...duh....duh

lol, nerds are such newbs they still enjoy watching the progress bars of their favorite OS installation.

My '03 Sold.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Thank yall so much. Is there a preferred external drive?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Pushed to the limit

I would just set up a raid and mirror my hard drive. If your primary drive takes a crap, just move over to your secondary drive.

Buying dogs kills.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
I would just set up a raid and mirror my hard drive. If your primary drive takes a crap, just move over to your secondary drive.
That's a very valid/simple option.

To OP, WD sells a 1TB drive (NAS I think) that is RAID 0 - if thrown to RAID 1 it would be 500GB...for about 250 I think at Costco. I bought my 1TB, RAID 5 NAS for 500ish.

Several options out there. A simple USB/Firewire drive for backups along with imaging is the cheapest solution IMO though.

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
Well, in RAID1 mirroring, you don't have to move anything to the secondary drive because it is already there. You just replace the dead drive and rebuild the mirror... Also mirroring is not a backup solution at all. It is simply provides for redundant storage incase of a hard drive crash.

The draw back is if you want to restore files and folders that have been deleted (intentionally or by a virus or other activity) If that happens, you're fucked because those files and folders will have been erased from the mirrored drive too... You won't be able to do any kind of restoration..

All mirroring does, is provide storage redundancy. Redundancy is a good thing, but it isn't a substitute for backups.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Almost all of them are decent.

I have a personal preference for Lacie and Western Digital external drives.

Some things go consider.......
1. USB2 is fast with a max burst speed of 450Mbps. However, Firewire 400 gives a CONSTANT speed of 400Mbps. Firewire 800 gives you a constant 800Mbps. If you're system has a firewire port (also known as an 1394a or 1394b port) then get an external drive that supports it. BTW, I use a Lacie drive that has a firewall 800 port. It is HELLA FAST.

2. If you have a gigabit network running at your house (1000Mbps) then consider buying an external drive with a gigabit Ethernet port. The transfer rates can be much higher and there are several other features that you may be able to take advantage of.

3. There is a newer option that is even faster. It is called ESATA (External Serial ATA). I've noticed that most newer desktops and laptops are coming with eSATA ports. There are also external drives with these ports. This is the absolute fastest file transfer speed you can get. Transfer speeds can be as high a 3Gbps. (3000Mbps)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:46 AM
The token Asian guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
If you do the simple approach I suggested then any USB drive will do. Cheap and simple. That's my style.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
lol, nerds are such newbs they still enjoy watching the progress bars of their favorite OS installation.
How bout the defrag window of win98 or XP? I enjoy watching that and trying to gigure out WTF it's doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement