overclocking???? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

overclocking????

does anyone know how to do this? i was wanting to look into doing this to my computer and don't know how, or what, needs to be done. i dont' want to harm my computer, but i want it to be alittle faster. i hope someone can help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 AM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
does anyone know how to do this? i was wanting to look into doing this to my computer and don't know how, or what, needs to be done. i dont' want to harm my computer, but i want it to be alittle faster. i hope someone can help me
Then don't overclock...look at other upgrades, like memory or HDD. Also, not all motherboards are able to overclook and not all processors are made equal.

I can throw a guild on how to overclock for you, but I would need the make/model of the motherboard first...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Fett
Then don't overclock...look at other upgrades, like memory or HDD. Also, not all motherboards are able to overclook and not all processors are made equal.

I can throw a guild on how to overclock for you, but I would need the make/model of the motherboard first...

i can't remember off the top of my head, i will look and get that info.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Consider adding RAM. If you're running XP, 1GB is the sweet spot for 'normal' uses, but if you're already at 1, you'll likely see some improvement with 2GB. If you're at <1GB, add RAM & prepare to be surprised at how much better your PC runs.

Then d/l & use this free defragger: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

In my experience, it kicks butt compared to the built-in Windoze defragger, and most commercial products as well.

From the web site:
JkDefrag is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, and Vista. Most defragmenters are based on this API, including commercial defragmenters. JkDefrag is therefore very solid and there is no risk of losing data. You can stop the program at any time, it will finish the current file in the background. If your disks use NTFS then you're even safe when the computer crashes in the middle of defragging. Nevertheless, it's still a good idea to backup before defragmenting, just like with other defragmenters, because the heavy use of the harddisk may trigger a hardware fault.

Even if you've been using another defragger, run it manually once & see how much file compaction it accomplishes, & how much faster your computer runs afterwards. Then use the task scheduler built into Windoze to set it to run periodically - a couple times a week should be adequate for most users.

Unless you have an overclocking-friendly mainboard, CPU & power supply, overclocking is probably not worth it.

2000 GT: Buncha stuff, more in the works
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

well, i only have 512mb ram, and i have been looking for more, cheap. i can't afford much at all if any for some. my computer has been acting really weird the last couple of days. i am using the Zune theme and the lower bar keeps turning white on me, it is running slower then normal, some programs dont' wanna open, like Spybot search and destroy, and i have no sound with games and movies, unless i use Classic Media Player, but i have sound for the chimes when turning off, booting up and all. i hope i dont' have to reformat again.

i have a Azza mobo #366x-as. it is running at 56 C
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

get ram.

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Osh10
get ram.
i have this online game i play and ram alone will not run it smoother. my computer at work is a 3ghz with 512 ram and runs that game 1,000,000,000 times better then mine at home. thats why iw as thinking about overclocking, to speed up the processor speed alittle.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 PM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
i have this online game i play and ram alone will not run it smoother. my computer at work is a 3ghz with 512 ram and runs that game 1,000,000,000 times better then mine at home. thats why iw as thinking about overclocking, to speed up the processor speed alittle.
You can only be as fast as whatever is bottlenecking you...for instance, if it's your RAM that is slowing you down(whither it is the amount of RAM or clock speed), it won't matter much how fast your processor is b/c the RAM is what is slowing you down...I'm not endorsing that RAM is your issue here (could be a number of things, software or hardware related) but I think it would be in your best interest to do a memory upgrade before doing overclocking. Just my .02

BTW, I looked that board up...looks like a VIA chipset, which is overclock-able.

Last edited by Bobba Fett; 10-25-2007 at 01:00 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Fett
You can only be as fast as whatever is bottlenecking you...for instance, if it's your RAM that is slowing you down(whither it is the amount of RAM or clock speed), it won't matter much how fast your processor is b/c the RAM is what is slowing you down...I'm not endorsing that RAM is your issue here (could be a number of things, software or hardware related) but I think it would be in your best interest to do a memory upgrade before doing overclocking. Just my .02

BTW, I looked that board up...looks like a VIA chipset, which is overclock-able.

im looking to either get rid of this computer and get another, or find some more ram for this one and go from there. i think the mobo is upgradable to either 2-3gb, i can't remember. i want go up to 1.5-2gb.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
duh...duh....duh

k. Did I miss the full PC specs so we can provide useful input or is it not posted?

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
k. Did I miss the full PC specs so we can provide useful input or is it not posted?
Athlon T Bird @ 1.2ghz 266FSB
512 PC 2100 (DDR I believe)
Azza 366x-as mobo

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 AM
duh...duh....duh

From my perspective, that really does not seem like it's worth the effort to O/C. I can't imagine the GPU is much better. What's the little rule of thumb if you O/C RAM, CPU and GPU...maybe 20% tops for a safe guesstimate with air cooling. More like 10-15% increase.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Athlon T Bird @ 1.2ghz 266FSB
512 PC 2100 (DDR I believe)
Azza 366x-as mobo

Your processor is really slowing you down if your trying to play games. 1.2ghz is pretty slow for any recent games. You should look into a new MOBO and processor combo.

FUCK Canada
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:34 AM
duh...duh....duh

For gaming purposes, really need to know your graphics card.

My '03 Sold.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
For gaming purposes, really need to know your graphics card.
are you talking to me? i only play one game on the computer, Nitto Legends. i have a Nvidia FX5200 128mb card.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 PM
老师

Quote:
Nitto Legends.
LOL!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 11:58 PM
IA2

Quote:
well, i only have 512mb ram, and i have been looking for more, cheap. i can't afford much at all if any for some. my computer has been acting really weird the last couple of days. i am using the Zune theme and the lower bar keeps turning white on me, it is running slower then normal, some programs dont' wanna open, like Spybot search and destroy, and i have no sound with games and movies, unless i use Classic Media Player, but i have sound for the chimes when turning off, booting up and all. i hope i dont' have to reformat again.

i have a Azza mobo #366x-as. it is running at 56 C
Clean up your system and see if that improves anything.

Right click on my system, find the c drive, right click, properties, go to the tools tab, and perform a disk error check. Once it reboots do the same but on the main tab select disk cleanup, and get rid of crap files.

http://www.trendmicro.com (follow the links to the free online scan)
http://security.symantec.com (free virus scan)
http://www.superantispyware.com (free spyware scanner)

Review installed programs and remove any you don't need, especially ones that load when you boot up.

512mb is crap for xp. Go to 1gb minimum.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin
LOL!!

best drag racing game i have found yet
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Clean up your system and see if that improves anything.

Right click on my system, find the c drive, right click, properties, go to the tools tab, and perform a disk error check. Once it reboots do the same but on the main tab select disk cleanup, and get rid of crap files.

http://www.trendmicro.com (follow the links to the free online scan)
http://security.symantec.com (free virus scan)
http://www.superantispyware.com (free spyware scanner)

Review installed programs and remove any you don't need, especially ones that load when you boot up.

512mb is crap for xp. Go to 1gb minimum.

i keep my computer clean. i use AVG, CCleaner and Adaware
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM
老师

Quote:
best drag racing game i have found yet
i was just laughing because your computer has problems running it
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin
i was just laughing because your computer has problems running it

it don't have problems running it, it could just run it better. the first Nitto game has no problems at all playing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement