Using home speakers on a pc? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: north dallas
Posts: 397
Using home speakers on a pc?

I have a pc in the garage that I want to play mucis on to the backyard. I will control it from the office by VNC. I have a set of outdoor speakers. Do they make some kind of adapter so that I can use the speaker wire in the the sound card of the pc? I already have the wire ran from the back porch to the garage. Or is there a certain connector that I need to splice so that it will work. From what I have read I will also need an amp to power the speakers, is that true?
cor302 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor302
I have a pc in the garage that I want to play mucis on to the backyard. I will control it from the office by VNC. I have a set of outdoor speakers. Do they make some kind of adapter so that I can use the speaker wire in the the sound card of the pc? I already have the wire ran from the back porch to the garage. Or is there a certain connector that I need to splice so that it will work. From what I have read I will also need an amp to power the speakers, is that true?

They make a fitting the plugs into the sound card and then splits into the Aux cords (red and white) I'm using a cheap 5.1 surround sound for computer speakers... Sounds decent..... When I had it connected to the surround sound for my TV it sounded Amazingly nice.


I don't think a computer sound card puts out enough power to make a speaker run or let alone sound good in less you have a high dollar sound card You gonna have to have an amp or some type of way to power the speaker.

I'd buy a cheap surround sound from wal-mart and the adapter and run it into the surround sound and just hook your out door speakers up to that. ?


1990 Coupe Sold 2/10/10
V6 auto ( daily ) Traded in 6/14/10
2010 GT
JJs89lx is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: north dallas
Posts: 397
I want to have the ability to control it from a pc in the house. I already have a 5.1 system in the house. I am trying to find a chap way to power two outdoor speakers from a pc. I don't want to have to go in the garage to change songs or the volume.
cor302 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
a sound card doesn't put out a high enough signal to directly power speakers like that. Your best bet is to use an amp to power the speakers with the sound card providing the signal to the amp. They make a 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter so it should be pretty easy

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: north dallas
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
a sound card doesn't put out a high enough signal to directly power speakers like that. Your best bet is to use an amp to power the speakers with the sound card providing the signal to the amp. They make a 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter so it should be pretty easy
What kind of amp do you suggest? Is there a pretty cheap one out there? Thanks for the help
cor302 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
I've done this using an old old stereo amplifier. Its the age that its all silver. I run the output of the sound card into the audio input on the amp. I was using it briefly to push a 10" sub in a bandpass box and I'm using the same amp this weekend at our block party to push a pair of old 15" 3 way Fisher home speakers.

Its about the same size as a stereo reciever but its got a built in eq and I got it free.

I'm just going to feed the audio via an mp3 player but similar idea.

Something like this would work or just check craigslist for an old stereo reciver or pro logic that someone is getting rid of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-ELITE-M-...QQcmdZViewItem

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
I've done this using an old old stereo amplifier. Its the age that its all silver. I run the output of the sound card into the audio input on the amp. I was using it briefly to push a 10" sub in a bandpass box and I'm using the same amp this weekend at our block party to push a pair of old 15" 3 way Fisher home speakers.

Its about the same size as a stereo reciever but its got a built in eq and I got it free.

I'm just going to feed the audio via an mp3 player but similar idea.

Something like this would work or just check craigslist for an old stereo reciver or pro logic that someone is getting rid of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-ELITE-M-...QQcmdZViewItem
yeah that would be perfect, you should be able to find something really cheap no problem

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: north dallas
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
yeah that would be perfect, you should be able to find something really cheap no problem
The shipping on that is 100.00. Thats a little more than I want to spend. I might hit up a pawn shop this weekend.
cor302 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor302
The shipping on that is 100.00. Thats a little more than I want to spend. I might hit up a pawn shop this weekend.
I never personally find good deals at pawn shops. I look at sticker and even if I thought they'd take 50% off it still does not look like a good deal half the time for some beat up turd.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
x2 for pawn shops

what kind of reciever are you talking about and how far is it located from your backyard? i know with my reciever, it has a/b outputs so i can actually set up my 5.1 in my living room into one set of outputs on reciever and ONLY hear the speakers inside, and press a button and listen to only the outside speakers... cool shit. your computer would connect to your AUX input on your reciever via a RCA to 1/8 inch (minijack) cable. cable costs about $10 for a decent one at radio shack

if your reciever doesnt have this feature, you could sell your current and upgrade OR you can use a speaker selector/switch and have channel one with ur surround sound and channel 2 with your outdoor. pm me if you need help with this OR anyone feel free to post anything they could find like this that is cheap... all i could find is expensive HDMI combo switched that are $100+... radioshack used to sell just the audio switches but i havent seen them lately.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Lifer
 
stacy532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: lubbock,tx
Posts: 1,367
I have a sherwood pos receiver with polk audio 5.25" bookshelf speakers and a 10 audiosource powered sub my pc has the front little audio out jack and all I have coming out is the wire that looks like a headphone jack with two rca jacks coming off of it ...

1995 cobra bolt ons red with black cloth 1.76 60'


13.27 at 102.83 6123' air ... in shop getting procharged d1sc canfield heads etc etc
stacy532 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
i'm sure you could find a cheap sony receiver at best buy or circuit city for just under $100. Then get a 1/8 to aux ( red white ) cable to go from the sound card to the receiver.
hndaklr is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
If you want a stereo that I was using for that specific purpose in my garage come get it. Its an early 90's Pioneer mini component that probably has about 40 watts x2. Has a built in logic dual cassette deck with dolby but it needs new belts, also has like 6 EQ settings, a built in CD player that works, an am/fm tuner, and an aux input. I even still have the remote. If you want it PM me.

FUCK Canada

Last edited by ram57ta; 10-15-2007 at 02:04 PM.
ram57ta is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
If you want a stereo that I was using for that specific purpose in my garage come get it. Its an early 90's Pioneer mini component that probably has about 40 watts x2. Has a built in logic dual cassette deck with dolby but it needs new belts, also has like 6 EQ settings, a built in CD player that works, an am/fm tuner, and an aux input. I even still have the remote. If you want it PM me.
i used to use one of my old 2 ch DJ amps (about 800 watts) and a mixer for EQ's and recently had to use them again for gigs. i pulled out my old school Aiwa stereo (nearly identical to the one your selling) that i believe is 50x2 and use it for my computer. I have 2 bookshelf speakers and a passive 12" sub and it sounds fricken awsome! nearly as good as my pain in the ass setup. lol. this would be a great buy and easy sollution. as stated above, all you need is a mini-jack to RCA and some speakers and your good to go.

I got my pioneer bookshelfs for $50 on sale @ best buy

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/needlesharp/bevisandbuthead.gif" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: north dallas
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
If you want a stereo that I was using for that specific purpose in my garage come get it. Its an early 90's Pioneer mini component that probably has about 40 watts x2. Has a built in logic dual cassette deck with dolby but it needs new belts, also has like 6 EQ settings, a built in CD player that works, an am/fm tuner, and an aux input. I even still have the remote. If you want it PM me.
Thanks for the offer but I grabbed on from my old man. Got it set up and running. Thanks for all the input guys.
cor302 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome