Ubuntu? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
老师

Ubuntu?

Anyone on here use it with any kind of regular frequency? I have a buncha friends who use it, and I was gonna taek the dive into linux and learn a few things using my desktop as kinda a linux learning mule. I already know about the Ubuntu forums and all that jazz, I was just looking for some advice from anyone on here that uses it regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
\(_o)/

What advice do you want?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
What advice do you want?
is it better than the other ones? seems to be the concensus so far...

edit: i just want a user-friendly linux that i can use to start learning.

Last edited by Neiladin; 10-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Pushed to the limit

It is very user friendly. I use the Gnome Desktop Environment on version 6.06 Dapper Drake at home and I am pretty happy with it. The Open Office suite came with my distro and we use it for all of our existing word and excel documents with no problem. The only issue we had is that my wife uses Quicken to keep track of our finances so I had to get Crossover to run it. Evolution email has crashed on us a couple of times but it didn't take the whole system down. In fact, the system has only been down for routine maintenance (twice) in well over 6 months. Wireless networking works better for me under Ubuntu than it ever did under Windoze.

You will have to read quite a bit to learn how to add and remove software like the codecs to make DVD playback work as linux does not come with DVD playing capabilities because of legal crap. CD and DVD burning is a breeze with the Gnomebaker software which is free. Learn some basic command line stuff and you will be golden.

Buying dogs kills.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
\(_o)/

Ubuntu is to linux what Mac OSX is to Windows.

Its about as simple as you can get when it comes to Linux. Will you become a bad ass? No, but if you want to get you feet in the water, then by all means. I started reverse, went with the hardest fucking distro i could find, and made shit work. It was more headache, but i learned everything the hard way which helped me in the present.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Ubuntu is to linux what Mac OSX is to Windows.

Its about as simple as you can get when it comes to Linux. Will you become a bad ass? No, but if you want to get you feet in the water, then by all means. I started reverse, went with the hardest fucking distro i could find, and made shit work. It was more headache, but i learned everything the hard way which helped me in the present.
so what distro did you go with?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
\(_o)/

Freebsd, then redhat then slackware, been slackware for almost 7 years now. Redhat back in the day was a piece of shit.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
老师

Quote:
Freebsd, then redhat then slackware, been slackware for almost 7 years now. Redhat back in the day was a piece of shit.
i seem to remember my linux it nerd friends complaining about redhat and preferring suse. but i like the way the ubuntu interface looks, and i think i will try it out. i don't need to be a linux genius, i just want to know ho to supposrt it a little bit.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:14 AM
\(_o)/

In linux, you can run any distribution and the interface can look exactly the same. Suse is a piece of shit. Your IT nerds are retarded if they think SuSE is anything special.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
IA2

I just built a LAMP server using ubuntu to run vbulletin and it was pretty easy. I still have a lot of tightening up to do to secure the box before it goes on the net.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i was running ubuntu studio on my laptop with beryl manager on it. the thing i liked about it was that you could do a lot of cool bells and whistles kind of stuff with it. plus it performed way faster. It would fully boot from being off, in less than 15 seconds every time. But it had problems holding the drivers for my built in wi fi car so i ultimately went back to windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement