cant validate my copy of xp. wtf? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

cant validate my copy of xp. wtf?

many of you may have read on this forum that i recently transfered my hard drive out of my old hewlet packard into a newer better pc that is for gaming.(the gaming one's hard drive crapped out completely) I BOUGHT the old hewlett packard brand spankin new. therefore that copy of XP was mine. i have long scince lost the xp disc that came with it but that should not matter. the gaming pc was built by me so it doesnt have a disc, and shouldnt need one scince i already have a hard drive with xp on it that i am using in it. but of course microsoft is piss scarred of someone pirating and now that the hard drive is in it's new home, i cant update windows media player or internet explorer. but for some reason, xp downloads updates for itself, regularly. this seems like they are contradicting themselves. so, naturaly i got to microsoft dot com and attempt to validate it.

what happens then? my liscence key has been blocked. yes i still have the liscense key to windows its on the side of my old hewlet packard's case. so now what am i supposed to do? are they that stupid that they dont realize that yeah.. somtimes their customers are going to need to move stuff. and when they have the damn key.. thats a good indication that they are the original owner. any thoughts on what i can do to resolve this very iritating matter?

edit. if it seems like i may be a lil to annoyed by this it's becasue i AM the customer, not the pirate. i should not have to put up with and have to try to find ways around things the same way the pirate would, cause i paid the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

OEM versions of Windows are locked to the PC that they came on. Only boxed retail versions can be moved PC to PC. The version that comes preinstalled is an OEM, so in MS's eyes, you are a pirate.

No you may not suggest that.

Last edited by AbecX; 09-18-2007 at 04:05 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Lifer

call windows and give them the code on the xp sticker on your computer and they will give you another install code. its easy

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks
call windows and give them the code on the xp sticker on your computer and they will give you another install code. its easy
x2, slight PITA, but I've never had a problem past this point. Even when I had to actually talk to someone...they just gave me a key.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

ok thank you.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
x2, slight PITA, but I've never had a problem past this point. Even when I had to actually talk to someone...they just gave me a key.
in my experience its easier to talk to someone rather then a machine

last time they asked me how many compters in the house did i use the key on.

my answer is always no other computers
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
i cant update windows media player or internet explorer.
they are doing you a favor.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
they are doing you a favor.
lol
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

update: i guess im screwed. somehow somewhere sometime my computer got professional on it. i do not know how. the sticker says home edition but the computer says professional. so i talked to the microsoft people and because of that i need to "back up all my files and purchase a new copy"

i really dont know what the fucking difference is. this is probly just a way for them to get more money. cause thats what microsoft needs, is more money.

Quote:

Quote:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpSteel
OEM versions of Windows are locked to the PC that they came on. Only boxed retail versions can be moved PC to PC. The version that comes preinstalled is an OEM, so in MS's eyes, you are a pirate.

No you may not suggest that.
Sweet! I've always wanted to be a pirate and now i've found a way to get publicly recognized as one. Who knew becoming a pirate was so simple? YARRRRRR
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
IA2

Quote:
update: i guess im screwed. somehow somewhere sometime my computer got professional on it. i do not know how. the sticker says home edition but the computer says professional. so i talked to the microsoft people and because of that i need to "back up all my files and purchase a new copy"

i really dont know what the fucking difference is. this is probly just a way for them to get more money. cause thats what microsoft needs, is more money.
Find an old copy of windows and install that, and then find a copy of xp pro upgrade and upgrade the old version. Probably would be cheaper than buying a copy of xp pro outright. xp home upgrade was $100 the last copy i bought.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
11-05-09

Quote:

Maybe it's time for you to hang up your PC gloves, and pay someone else some cash to do the work for you. No offense, but obviously you're having a very hard time with these things. Take it with a grain of salt.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
Maybe it's time for you to hang up your PC gloves, and pay someone else some cash to do the work for you. No offense, but obviously you're having a very hard time with these things. Take it with a grain of salt.
well i learn best through hands on. 1. i want to learn how to do all this stuff so i know more about it all. 2. i dont want to have to pay anyone anything.

Quote:

Quote:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Just run anti wga tools and use windiz updates thru firefox.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Just run anti wga tools and use windiz updates thru firefox.
sorry im stll learning all this. can you please elborate? where do i get this? are you saying ill be able to get around the [email protected]#%^ #@!$ validation process?

Quote:

Quote:
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
sorry im stll learning all this. can you please elborate? where do i get this? are you saying ill be able to get around the [email protected]#%^ #@!$ validation process?
WGA Remover

Windiz Update

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck

can you post me an updated link please? im afraid that none of those mirrors from that link still work.

and by the way, why are they called mirrors?

oh and thats an interesting point you make in your quote.

Quote:

Quote:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
can you post me an updated link please? im afraid that none of those mirrors from that link still work.

I think you have the most "I need help" threads here.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/0...ns-nag-screen/ = how to...

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
I think you have the most "I need help" threads here.
yeah well, i go for like 6 months without posting then i post up a few right in a row. so it evens out.

Quote:

Quote:
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 AM
11-05-09

Quote:
yeah well, i go for like 6 months without posting then i post up a few right in a row. so it evens out.
Haha! Well, to be fair, everybody has to start somewhere. Good luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement