I need internet! - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
I need internet!

I have att yahoo DSL at my old house, but they told me that they don't have it available at the new house in any way. Through who or by what means can I get high speed internet? I hear charter isn't available in the area either.
TIA,
M

2008 Chevy Tahoe
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
GREENMAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Where is your address? Satellite internet is always available, if you have cable tv, you're most likely eligible for cable internet.

AbecX is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
South Fort Worth 76134

2008 Chevy Tahoe
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
GREENMAN is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 AM
May the Force be w/you
 
chuckacosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: El Paso, Tx
Posts: 3,128
Try the Dot11 network. My father in-law uses them and he lives in 76140
chuckacosta is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
Posted this up a while back and everything that I have found to be available is expensive as fuck, I'm used to paying 15 bux for DSL, anyone have any other cheap available alternatives?

2008 Chevy Tahoe
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
GREENMAN is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Dial up.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENMAN
Posted this up a while back and everything that I have found to be available is expensive as fuck, I'm used to paying 15 bux for DSL, anyone have any other cheap available alternatives?
High speed and cheap don't co-exsist.

Either pay the ~$45 a mo, or use dial-up.

FiOS FTMFW.
Osiris is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
if you have a cellphone with data capability and have a data cable you COULD get a data plan on your service and use the cell network to get SEMI-high speed internet. I have an unlimited data plan with my ATT/Cingular for 14.99 a month and connect all the time with my laptop at 480kb/sec....not blazing fast but WAY better than dialup. I use it on my home computer if the DSL service goes down which is rare..but it does happen.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
if you have a cellphone with data capability and have a data cable you COULD get a data plan on your service and use the cell network to get SEMI-high speed internet. I have an unlimited data plan with my ATT/Cingular for 14.99 a month and connect all the time with my laptop at 480kb/sec....not blazing fast but WAY better than dialup. I use it on my home computer if the DSL service goes down which is rare..but it does happen.
Yeah, that's what I am doing now but it's about the same speed as dialup. Basic dsl was only 15 bux and was way faster than dialup. Do you know how to optimize the settings to get the fastest speed out of the cell connection?

2008 Chevy Tahoe
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
GREENMAN is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 AM
老师
 
Neiladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: OKC
Posts: 12,120
dude, what you're looking for doesnn't exist. and dsl is no longer, in my book, considered "high speed." it may have been one of the first, but can't really hold a candle to cable or FiOS especially.
Neiladin is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin
dude, what you're looking for doesnn't exist. and dsl is no longer, in my book, considered "high speed." it may have been one of the first, but can't really hold a candle to cable or FiOS especially.
I guess what it comes down to is that DSL IS fast enough for me, unfortunately you can get it anywhere else except where I live.

2008 Chevy Tahoe
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
GREENMAN is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENMAN
Yeah, that's what I am doing now but it's about the same speed as dialup. Basic dsl was only 15 bux and was way faster than dialup. Do you know how to optimize the settings to get the fastest speed out of the cell connection?
Unfortunately the Unites States is only slowly catching up to what Europe has had for years with cell phone data. 3G is fast as hell in Europe but is presently not supported by US carriers to my knowledge. USB 2.0 connections should allow you to connect at about 460kbps which is what I am getting. Thats about it.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
Unfortunately the Unites States is only slowly catching up to what Europe has had for years with cell phone data. 3G is fast as hell in Europe but is presently not supported by US carriers to my knowledge. USB 2.0 connections should allow you to connect at about 460kbps which is what I am getting. Thats about it.
AT&T has 3G
BP is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
AT&T has 3G
Interesting...I have AT&T and my phone is 3G but I dont connect at that speed. May have to look into that.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome