Who knows network security and setting up networks? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Who knows network security and setting up networks?

I need someone to test the security of our office network, and possibly setup a new network. Our server is going to be reformatted and setup again.

Currently have a SonicWall tz170 for a hardware firewall, use XP for the VPN. Also needing some type of calender program suggestion. We are using Yahoo Intellisync to use our calenders. Basically we need a way to do a company calender, and also have the ability to see individual worker calenders. Any suggestions?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 PM

As far as auditing your firewall security. You should just use http://www.nessus.org/nessus/. It will check for the normal kind of stuff. Internal audits shouldn't take long considering you probably only have a few machines.

What kind of server do you have? MS Server 2000, 2003, Linux based? What is it doing (file and print share, Active Directory, etc)?

I'm not too up to date on the SonicWall products but have heard good things. I typically use Watchguard or Netscreen. Hell I have a site to site VPN from my home to work. The small box I use at my house retails for less than 500 and has built in wireless (multiple SSIDs, one can be secured the other unsecured).

Not sure about your calendar question as we use Exchange for everything. You might want to look into a hosted Exchange solution that includes Exchange ActiveSync for smartphones (MS answer to blackberry, email is pushed to your phone).

I do this sort of thing for SMBs all day, PM for more details.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
El Camino

I'm also up for side work if you need a 2nd opinion.

I work in IT security and do pen tests/risk assessments, etc.

I can list more resume fodder if you need it but there's plenty of sharp people on this site.

For calendaring the standard is exchange. If its a small office you might look at the Small Business server to save on licensing.

Louts Notes is ok but I'd stick with Exchange.

For the free stuff look at MS MBSA for security reviews along with nessus/nmap. If your using Active Directory I'd get some help going in the right direction using Group Policies.

WSUS is also a nice freebie from MS to automate the patching of your MS workstations.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 AM
duh...duh....duh

Typically I'd offer up the services of the company I am apart of. However, in this case it is a relatively small job and probably better serviced by folks who have zero overhead as side work.

However, if you're in the market for a new firewall - I'd suggest the ASA 5505. Via a few places they can be obtained for 350-400 dollars for the lowest model. The lowest model...

10 - Standard IPSEC VPNs.
2 - SSL VPNs
8 - Ports
2 - of 8 Ports are POE (Power over Ethernet)

This firewall is identical to the enterprise level ASAs (5510, 20, 30 40...50) as far as features and configuration goes.

Great firewall for 25 or less users in an office.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Custom Title

Youll need a WEP key.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement