My damn sound card wont work.. after HD transplant. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

My damn sound card wont work.. after HD transplant.

You may have read an earlier thread i had up about a hard drive swap i needed to do. well i pulled the one out of mom's old HP and put it in my gaming PC and for some magical reason i did not have to do a damn thing lol. it just booted windows right off. though it did tell me windows was in an unstable state. but i got that all worked out.

my most current problem is that my sound card which is a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital (model SB0220 by creative labs) will not function. obviously the new Hard drive does not have the right drivers since its new to this computer. so i go to creative's site to download them (of course) and when i do it runs a little setup thing which in the end gives me a window saying something like "No soundblaster hardware was detected on this computer, so we aint going to install your drivers. setup will now terminate" (not exact words, but close enough) well i am looking at the card plugged in to the damn motherboard as i type this. so im not sure if i need some kind of installation crap or what. I know the card is old but it does not have to be the best cause its only going to run World of wowcrack. any clue as to what i might need to do here?

and google dot com FTL. i tried it and all i came up with that was related to my problem was a guy who asked the same question back in feb of 04 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Lifer

Do you not have your CD for the soundblaster card?
Edit* Also does your system have an onboard sound card? If so just take out the soundblaster that may work too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

no i dont have the CD as the PC it's in used to be my GF's brother's but he got a better one. he does not have it either. where do i look for the onboard one?

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM
duh...duh....duh

1. On board sound...you'll know if there are audio outputs/inputs on something other then the actual sound card. In this case you'll need to goto the device manager and disable the on-board sound.

2. As for drivers and/or CD, just goto creative.com and download the drivers and apps. Pretty good site as far as that goes.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
1. On board sound...you'll know if there are audio outputs/inputs on something other then the actual sound card. In this case you'll need to goto the device manager and disable the on-board sound.

2. As for drivers and/or CD, just goto creative.com and download the drivers and apps. Pretty good site as far as that goes.

Take care,
yes i went there and downloaded prbly 6 or 7 things for my card (some even claiming to be "standalone" setups) and i still get the same message every time. im not quite sure whats happening. im thinking im prolly going to have to go wal mart and get a new sound card that comes with an instalation disc. or maybe i can just enable onboard sound and use that. but im not real sure if it will work with that card being plugged in.

Quote:

Quote:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Lifer

Take out the old sound card and plug in your speakers into the onboard plugs and see if it works or not before you buy a new card.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Time Served

This may not be applicable, but I have dealt with a few motherboards where the BIOS had options for disabling card slots. Can you get into the BIOS to see if that is the case? Also, what is Device Manager showing?

Hope this helps.

Mike Walsted

<A HREF="http://www.mikewalsted.com/tbird.html" TARGET="_blank">Some links about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird TurboCoupe</A>
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsted
This may not be applicable, but I have dealt with a few motherboards where the BIOS had options for disabling card slots. Can you get into the BIOS to see if that is the case? Also, what is Device Manager showing?

Hope this helps.
well the device manager shows.. something.. im just not sure what. i think its showing what was in the HP when the Hard drive was still in it.. and what is (and was) in the computer now. but i have a new development. i went to wally world and bought a new creative labs brand soundblaster audigy card and it works. sort of. it plays everything that it is supposed to, but i also have this buzzing sound that i hear coming through the speakers (or headphones if i hook them up). the sound is just like a TV that has its volume cranked all the way up.. but there is nothing on. you know, like if you turn your tv to a blank screen with nothing on and turn the volume all the way up. anyone know what this might be?

an afterthought:
i swear no matter what i do this sytem fights me every step of the way. its old and cantankerous but it is teaching me a lot about computers cause i can experiment on it without care of what might happen to it lol. anyone else ever have a system taht acted this way?

Quote:

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement