destructive system restore.. do all systems have it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

destructive system restore.. do all systems have it?

I bought some cheap HP new from wal mart back in 2000.. and it was quite unremarkable except for one feature that i really liked. It had something it called a destructive system restore, which would completely restore the computer to the state that it was in the day i first turned it on. everything good bad or ugly would be gone and it was as if i had just turned it on again for the first time. is this a hewlett packard thing.. or an XP thing? i am trying to figure out how to use this feature on another computer if i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
I bought some cheap HP new from wal mart back in 2000.. and it was quite unremarkable except for one feature that i really liked. It had something it called a destructive system restore, which would completely restore the computer to the state that it was in the day i first turned it on. everything good bad or ugly would be gone and it was as if i had just turned it on again for the first time. is this a hewlett packard thing.. or an XP thing? i am trying to figure out how to use this feature on another computer if i can.
Though XP does have a restore feature, it doesn't set back to the factory image. XP creates a restore point periodically and when you make a major change in hardware or software. When you restore to a point in time, it just looks at what changes you've made since the restore point you've chosen and reverses those changes. It leaves all of your personal data alone.

I've seen several manufacturers like, HP, Compaq, Packard Bell, etc supply a factory restore disc over the years to do what you were talking about. Lately, I had an Acer laptop that had a second partion on the HD with the factory image on it, so you didn't even need a CD to do it.

If you want to be able to restore back and start over, an easy way is to get a copy of Norton Ghost, set you pc up exactly like you want it and then ghost it to a 2nd HD. When you decide to set it back, just boot up with the ghost cd and restore it back. It only takes about 15 minutes to set it back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

I've seen several manufacturers like, HP, Compaq, Packard Bell, etc supply a factory restore disc over the years to do what you were talking about. Lately, I had an Acer laptop that had a second partion on the HD with the factory image on it, so you didn't even need a CD to do it.

yes that is exactly what im talking about. so it is a manufacturer thing. i have also heard that you can create a partition on your own that you can use in the same way.. do wipe everything and start at the image that you want. anyone know how to do this?

also.. is this pretty much what will happen if i were to get a new copy of windows and stick it in the CD drive? just a total wipe and reinstall? i mean i know its not the exact same thing but it has a similar effect. to get all the garbage off that you cant hunt down yourself.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Gunga galunga

^ norton ghost is the shit... It saves you hours upon hours of downloading and installing updates and software

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
^ norton ghost is the shit... It saves you hours upon hours of downloading and installing updates and software
x2...

To OP....they are just imaging the PC with their bloated boot/recovery CDs. This can be done with any PC via Ghost. I personally love ghost for personal use.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

thanks for the info guys. is ghost pretty easy to use? is it costly?

Quote:

Quote:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 AM
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
thanks for the info guys. is ghost pretty easy to use? is it costly?
Just get a free version of the tool, plenty of them out there that do the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement