DreamWorks, Paramount pick HD DVD - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
DreamWorks, Paramount pick HD DVD

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/20/tech...ion=2007082015


ugust 20 2007: 3:09 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -- Viacom Inc's Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation said on Monday they will release their DVD titles exclusively on HD DVD ahead of what they say could be the biggest holiday season ever for DVDs.

Paramount had sold titles in both the new high-definition formats - HD DVD and Blu-Ray - but settled exclusively on HD DVD after deciding that it offered better quality, lower-priced players and lower manufacturing costs, Kelley Avery, president of Paramount Home Entertainment, told Reuters.
Video More video
Will a self-serve video machine be the next big thing? Affiliate KESQ reports. (March 7)
Play video

"This has been the biggest summer on record for movies, it will be the biggest fourth quarter for popular movies for consumers," Avery said. "At the same time, we have HD DVD players that are truly affordable."

HD DVD and Blu-Ray are waging a battle to dominate the next generation of DVD players that promise better pictures, sound and in some cases more content, in the multibillion-dollar home-entertainment arena
Research: 32 million high-def players to sell by 2011

So far, most of the major Hollywood studios are selling Blu-Ray titles, and HD DVD sales have lagged. But some HD DVD supporters hope to broaden their appeal to consumers based on cost.

The lowest-priced, stand-alone HD DVD player sells for $299, compared with $499 for the lowest-cost Blu-Ray option.

Paramount's first releases under the exclusive HD DVD program include "Blades of Glory" on Aug. 28 and the summer blockbusters "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," due for release later this fall.

DreamWorks Animation (Charts), maker of the blockbuster "Shrek" animated movie franchise, had not committed exclusively to either high-definition format but was swayed to HD DVD by the lower-cost player, DreamWorks Animation Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Katzenberg said.

"They have a high-quality consumer experience that is now being offered at a price point that we believe is going to connect with the consumer," Katzenberg told Reuters.

Katzenberg said timing also played a part, with the holiday season "sure to be the biggest quarter in the history of the home-video market" and consumers facing the 2009 switch to a high-definition broadcast signal.

"This seems to us to be the right product at the right price at the right time," Katzenberg said.

DreamWorks Animation titles are distributed on home video and DVD by Paramount.

The exclusive agreement does not include movies directed by Steven Spielberg for DreamWorks SKG, a Paramount unit. It does include all other movies distributed by Paramount, DreamWorks, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films.

HD DVD was developed by Toshiba and backed by Microsoft (Charts, Fortune 500) and is supported by Warner Bros., Universal Studios, New Line Cinema, HBO and the Weinstein Co. Blu-Ray discs use Sony (Charts)-backed technology and are supported by most of the major U.S. movie studios.

Both formats came on the market last year. Blu-Ray outsold HD DVD 2-to-1 in the United States in the first half of 2007. An estimated 3.7 million high-definition discs have been sold, overall, including 2.2 million in Blu-Ray and 1.5 million in HD DVD through July, according to Home Media Research. Top of page

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Well, that sucks.
Osiris is offline  
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Who, so far, has chosen to go exclusively Blu Ray?
exlude is offline  
 
post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Blu-Ray is a better disc, grats on failing paramount.

AbecX is offline  
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Blu-Ray is a better disc, grats on failing paramount.

SONY FANBOI

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Playa from tha Himalayas
 
Thomas99GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,186
Damn I'm pissed I won't be able to get transformers on blu-ray. I'm not buying a HD DVD player though. If blu-ray is already outselling 2-1 why would they go exclusively with HD DVD?

Thomas99GT is offline  
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!
 
Whitesmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas99GT
Damn I'm pissed I won't be able to get transformers on blu-ray. I'm not buying a HD DVD player though. If blu-ray is already outselling 2-1 why would they go exclusively with HD DVD?
Because they are Viacom and Viacom does whatever they want



Whitesmoke is offline  
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas99GT
Damn I'm pissed I won't be able to get transformers on blu-ray. I'm not buying a HD DVD player though. If blu-ray is already outselling 2-1 why would they go exclusively with HD DVD?
because the quality is so much better on hd dvd
Cartman is offline  
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
because the quality is so much better on hd dvd
No its not. The size of information you can hold on a Bluray disk is much more than a HD DVD ergo higher quality video. A bluray can theoretically host 200GB of data, a HD DVD would max out at 50GB, with mpeg2 codec, thats a lot of fucking video in high qual for the bluray ( about 15 hours vs. 4 hours in mpeg2 ). HD DVD is pretty much 'of level' in current technology, the bluray is able to expand and will be a longer lasting medium.

Again grats, on a stupid ass decision Paramount.

AbecX is offline  
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
No its not. The size of information you can hold on a Bluray disk is much more than a HD DVD ergo higher quality video. A bluray can theoretically host 200GB of data, a HD DVD would max out at 50GB, with mpeg2 codec, thats a lot of fucking video in high qual for the bluray ( about 15 hours vs. 4 hours in mpeg2 ). HD DVD is pretty much 'of level' in current technology, the bluray is able to expand and will be a longer lasting medium.

Again grats, on a stupid ass decision Paramount.

Wasn't Betamax way better than VCR too?

What happened there?

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
No its not. The size of information you can hold on a Bluray disk is much more than a HD DVD ergo higher quality video. A bluray can theoretically host 200GB of data, a HD DVD would max out at 50GB, with mpeg2 codec, thats a lot of fucking video in high qual for the bluray ( about 15 hours vs. 4 hours in mpeg2 ). HD DVD is pretty much 'of level' in current technology, the bluray is able to expand and will be a longer lasting medium.

Again grats, on a stupid ass decision Paramount.
But if it was as cut and dry as you make it then why the big battle between the two?
Lason is offline  
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
I read a discussion on slashdot about this and the consensus is that people don't really care about the format war, and no one is going to jump in until dual format players come out around the $200 price point. Apparently one thing that HD-DVD has going for it is that existing DVD machines can be adapted to make them whereas blu-ray takes new equipment.
mikeb is offline  
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
No its not. The size of information you can hold on a Bluray disk is much more than a HD DVD ergo higher quality video. A bluray can theoretically host 200GB of data, a HD DVD would max out at 50GB, with mpeg2 codec, thats a lot of fucking video in high qual for the bluray ( about 15 hours vs. 4 hours in mpeg2 ). HD DVD is pretty much 'of level' in current technology, the bluray is able to expand and will be a longer lasting medium.

Again grats, on a stupid ass decision Paramount.
put them side by side on the same movie on the same tv and you will see that hd dvd is better format
Cartman is offline  
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
But if it was as cut and dry as you make it then why the big battle between the two?
$$$

Bluray uses a blue ray laser, which is recent technology so it costs more money. HD DVD is cheaper for now since it using a red laser. Since its almost xmas and this summer/spring had huge movies, they are going to go with whats cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
put them side by side on the same movie on the same tv and you will see that hd dvd is better format
That makes no difference. Data is data is data is data. They both host the same information, its not going to output any differently unless your TV sucks. Bluray disc's don't change the way 01101100 is output, thats up to your receiver, aka decompresser which has nothing to do with the type of disc. The only difference is that bluray can host more data ( 4 times more ) than the limits of HD DVD which means they can change the compression algorithm to not suppress/compress data which in turn can generate a higher quality picture in the future for you, or longer/more behind the scenes and special features on your movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Apparently one thing that HD-DVD has going for it is that existing DVD machines can be adapted to make them whereas blu-ray takes new equipment.
Very true, for now. I am sure if bluray does come out ahead, will see multihead readers that can use red and blue lasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Wasn't Betamax way better than VCR too?
What happened there?
No. The original problem was that beta only kept about an hour worth of video ( they were made for camcorders ). JVC said oh sup most any TV worth a shit or even movies are longer in time so they made VHS. Basically the reverse of whats going on right now, this time HD DVD is betamax.

AbecX is offline  
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
How many people actually watch all the special features and all that bullshit?

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:47 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
How many people actually watch all the special features and all that bullshit?
I like to watch the making of stuff

The main point is that they can lower the compression ratio, ie less dropped pixels per frame do to space saving and higher audio quality. I'd pay $$$ to have Star Wars trilogoy in a near uncompressed format with bad ass lossless audio.

AbecX is offline  
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke
 
8mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: id rather be cummin than strokin
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
How many people actually watch all the special features and all that bullshit?
not me

and I dont care which one wins because I aint buying shit until the players are WAY cheaper and I can burn HDDVD/BlueRay

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
8mpg is offline  
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I like to watch the making of stuff
I'd pay $$$ to have Star Wars trilogoy in a near uncompressed format with bad ass lossless audio.
Why am I not surprised. A co-worker is a super star wars nerd and has said nearly the same thing for the past several months.
Mychael101 is offline  
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Boss
 
SVTbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 1,034
Well have a bunch of people come over to the apt and watch movies and we'll all sit there and go through special features and out takes etc. I love seeing how a movie was made behind the scenes, commentary and all the extras. We've got a PS3 and a 360 Elite with the hd-dvd add-on at the apt and there is no difference at the moment between the images. Now when it comes to gaming thats a whole different story, the 360 is already starting to suffer by not adopting HD-DVD as the standard for it's game discs. Games are already being produced that will take two-disc's for the 360 version while it's not a concern for PS3 users with Blu-ray. I don't care what you say, the PS3 is a large part of that 2:1 ratio in sales.
SVTbasher is offline  
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
The space battles and ATDT walker scenes are so incredible. I wish companies would use models again, I hate cgi crap.

AbecX is offline  
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
The Janitor
 
32VfromHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sacred Heart Hospital
Posts: 16,424
AT-AT and AT-ST, noob
32VfromHell is offline  
post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I like to watch the making of stuff

The main point is that they can lower the compression ratio, ie less dropped pixels per frame do to space saving and higher audio quality. I'd pay $$$ to have Star Wars trilogoy in a near uncompressed format with bad ass lossless audio.

YOU DONT EVEN OWN A 480I TV!

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
YOU DONT EVEN OWN A 480I TV!
My computer monitor nig!

AbecX is offline  
post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET
 
Shorty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gone
Posts: 7,886
porn industry picked hd dvd. hd dvd will win.
Shorty is offline  
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:25 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
porn industry picked hd dvd. hd dvd will win.
Blockbuster is only carrying Bluray discs now.
Target is only selling bluray discs and players.

The porn industry is only a billion dollar a year business, when you compare it to the $45 billion dollar a year cable, $25 billion tv, let alone the movie industry, its piddle sqaut. Anyone who thinks the porn industry really makes a difference one way or another is retardz.

PS. Here is a list of the ppl that want Bluray to win and they are on the Board of Directors with the blu-ray association.

* Apple Inc.
* Buena Vista Home Entertainment
* Dell
* Hewlett Packard
* Hitachi
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* Sun Microsystems
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
* Warner Home Video Inc.

AbecX is offline  
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Blockbuster is only carrying Bluray discs now.
Target is only selling bluray discs and players.

The porn industry is only a billion dollar a year business, when you compare it to the $45 billion dollar a year cable, $25 billion tv, let alone the movie industry, its piddle sqaut. Anyone who thinks the porn industry really makes a difference one way or another is retardz.

PS. Here is a list of the ppl that want Bluray to win and they are on the Board of Directors with the blu-ray association.

* Apple Inc.
* Buena Vista Home Entertainment
* Dell
* Hewlett Packard
* Hitachi
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* Sun Microsystems
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
* Warner Home Video Inc.
* Stephen aka, Hollywood
fixed
Hollywood is offline  
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Just fucking face facts guys, when it comes to this forum, I am right and always will be. GTFO.

PS3 will prevail over XCrap360
Bluray will LMFAO @ HD DVD

Oh sup, check out my linux box uptime for abecx.net

[email protected]:/var/dns/namedb2/root# uptime
1658 up 1067 days, 6:57, 7 users, load average: 1.66, 0.77, 0.68

AbecX is offline  
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
My computer monitor nig!

BUY THIS.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/projector...too-255067.php

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
lmfao @ the quote in the pic.

AbecX is offline  
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Blockbuster is only carrying Bluray discs now.
Target is only selling bluray discs and players.

The porn industry is only a billion dollar a year business, when you compare it to the $45 billion dollar a year cable, $25 billion tv, let alone the movie industry, its piddle sqaut. Anyone who thinks the porn industry really makes a difference one way or another is retardz.

PS. Here is a list of the ppl that want Bluray to win and they are on the Board of Directors with the blu-ray association.

* Apple Inc.
* Buena Vista Home Entertainment
* Dell
* Hewlett Packard
* Hitachi
* LG Electronics
* Mitsubishi Electric
* Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
* Pioneer Corporation
* Royal Philips Electronics
* Samsung Electronics
* Sharp Corporation
* Sony Corporation
* Sun Microsystems
* TDK Corporation
* Thomson
* Twentieth Century Fox
* Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
* Warner Home Video Inc.

LMFAO @ blockbuster.

Man, they seem doing bad ass lately anyways.

http://www.cinemablend.com/dvdnews/B...licy-5885.html

I mean cmon, they bought movielink... one of the biggest failures EVAR!

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #31 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
AT-AT and AT-ST, noob
rofl atdt is a modem command GG LINUX NERD

AbecX is offline  
post #32 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
I think it was a smart choice by Paramount.

Right now the average HD DVD player is cheaper than Blu-Ray and the playback quality is the same to the human eye. Blu-Ray has more capacity, but big deal really. HD DVD gets the job done cheaper. I think that will keep them competitive against Blu-Ray, if not put them ahead of the game down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #33 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Right now the average HD DVD player is cheaper than Blu-Ray and the playback quality is the same to the human eye.
Cheaper because it using technology that is 10 years old, and its not the same to the human eye ( mpeg2 compression wont be around in 2-3 years ). What you're seeing right now is a very compressed image frames and compressed audio files from the original source, there is a LOT that you don't see. For instance you might be watching a scene with sky or mountains, and alot of the texture is similar in detail for multiple frames so it compresses that down so it stays the same in that pixel for a bunch of frames. With lossless video you will get a MUCH clearer picture than what you're currently getting. HD DVD is based on old technology and you wont be able to get the kind of space required on its disc to support that.

and dont get me started on lossless audio, if you cant tell the difference between a 128k mp3 and a ogg lossless compressed file, you're just old.

Quote:
Blu-Ray has more capacity, but big deal really. HD DVD gets the job done cheaper. I think that will keep them competitive against Blu-Ray, if not put them ahead of the game down the road.
So you would you buy a computer thats only 1GHz because it gets the job done? Thats horrible logic.

AbecX is offline  
post #34 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
Cheaper because it using technology that is 10 years old, and its not the same to the human eye ( mpeg2 compression wont be around in 2-3 years ). What you're seeing right now is a very compressed image frames and compressed audio files from the original source, there is a LOT that you don't see. For instance you might be watching a scene with sky or mountains, and alot of the texture is similar in detail for multiple frames so it compresses that down so it stays the same in that pixel for a bunch of frames. With lossless video you will get a MUCH clearer picture than what you're currently getting. HD DVD is based on old technology and you wont be able to get the kind of space required on its disc to support that.

and dont get me started on lossless audio, if you cant tell the difference between a 128k mp3 and a ogg lossless compressed file, you're just old.


So you would you buy a computer thats only 1GHz because it gets the job done? Thats horrible logic.
I don't know where you get your information, but you should consider a better source.

HD DVD supports and features lossless Dolby TrueHD audio

HD DVD supports and features MPEG2, MPEG4, and VC1 Encoding

Again, it's cheaper and does the same thing. It has less capacity than Blu-Ray, but if it can play a hi-def movie+soundtrack then what's the point of paying more money for Blu-Ray? Plus, capacity is ephemeral in the tech world. When they start layering the discs the capacity will go through the roof.

You spend $1,000 on your Blu-Ray player and I'll spend $500 or less on the HD DVD player to do the exact same thing. And then you can be king of the hill on your capacity spec's. I'd rather save a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #35 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Like it fucking matters.


90% of Americans don't notice the shit we do.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #36 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
I don't know where you get your information, but you should consider a better source.

HD DVD supports and features lossless Dolby TrueHD audio

HD DVD supports and features MPEG2, MPEG4, and VC1 Encoding
Again, sigh. It will support all the current technology, but once we start coming out with new compression techniques for video that requires more space, HD DVD will not be able to fit it on a disk.

Per layer, Bluray will always have more space so your theory that multi layering will save HD DVD is moot. Both are currently using traditional techniques that DVD's have been using, using your logic we should just stick to DVD's because they get the job done.

Bluray is by far the better disc, more bandwidth, more space, better native support vs added overhead, its just better.

Just like dvd players where $1k when they came out, I can go buy a new one for $30 now. I guess we should've stayed with Super VHS.

AbecX is offline  
post #37 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 PM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Wasn't Betamax way better than VCR too?

What happened there?
The beta players wouldn't play older vhs.

Although very similar situation, you really can't compare beta and vhs to hd-dvd and blu-ray.

Here we have an existing medium (dvd) that newer mediums (bd and hd-dvd) players will play. Also, the fact that there are two new mediums and not just one is another point too.

Just my .02


Oh, and I'm 150% behind Abecx, everything thing he has stated is true.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #38 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
I don't know where you get your information, but you should consider a better source.


You spend $1,000 on your Blu-Ray player and I'll spend $500 or less on the HD DVD player to do the exact same thing. And then you can be king of the hill on your capacity spec's. I'd rather save a few bucks.
$1000 for a blu-ray player?! "I don't know where you get your information," but thats the price for LG's bd and hd-dvd player.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #39 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
Man, I did agree with everything you said, Abecx... but they both use a blue laser...


http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....page=techspecs

and one other thing... its actually being said, that there IS NO MEDIA BATTLE, and that they will both be going strong for years. LG already makes a multi format player that plays both and I know for sure Samsung is in the process of making one.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #40 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
and one other thing... its actually being said, that there IS NO MEDIA BATTLE, and that they will both be going strong for years. LG already makes a multi format player that plays both and I know for sure Samsung is in the process of making one.
I think one will prevail over the other. Yes, you have companies getting smart and making players that do both, but you also have big companies (obviously) choosing one over the other. I think that soon enough one will be a memory and the other will be the new standard.

I wish they would hurry up already. I've been planning on getting a PS3 and calling it done, but now with this, there will be movies available that I won't be able to buy for it. Fuck.
jluv is offline  
post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
I bet if they did a nation wide quiz, over 80% of americans wouldn't know what the fuck mpeg2 and vc1 etc shit is.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:31 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
I'm going to TTT this thread in 1 year when i get proven right, yet again.

AbecX is offline  
post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 PM
B-WIZ
 
KOZMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I think one will prevail over the other. Yes, you have companies getting smart and making players that do both, but you also have big companies (obviously) choosing one over the other. I think that soon enough one will be a memory and the other will be the new standard.

I wish they would hurry up already. I've been planning on getting a PS3 and calling it done, but now with this, there will be movies available that I won't be able to buy for it. Fuck.

Surely after a few years, but if thats the case, it will be blu-ray ftw. Because as Abecx stated earlier, more storage capacity. At the rate were going with HD I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 1440p becoming more available and they will have no choice really but to put that on blu-ray.




DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
KOZMO is offline  
post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Lifer
 
Lason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: arlington
Posts: 11,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Surely after a few years, but if thats the case, it will be blu-ray ftw. Because as Abecx stated earlier, more storage capacity. At the rate were going with HD I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 1440p becoming more available and they will have no choice really but to put that on blu-ray.

Do you have a shrine to Cruz in your closet? Sacrafice rabbits and spill their blood all over Blu Ray's while you touch yourself to please him? LOL, man you have mentioned his name in every post.
Lason is offline  
post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Do you have a shrine to Cruz in your closet? Sacrafice rabbits and spill their blood all over Blu Ray's while you touch yourself to please him? LOL, man you have mentioned his name in every post.
Dont act like you dont fag.

AbecX is offline  
post #46 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
The PS3 is going to win the console wars. Microsoft screwed up when they decided not to use the HD DVD media for gaming. They are limited to around 8.5 gigs.

The soundtrack for Heavenly Sword is over 10 gigs alone. Unreal 3 will have to downsize to fit an Xbox disc, meaning less maps. This is just the start, games won't get smaller on the higher end consoles and the 360 is already maxed out. Sure you could download the additional content, for a fee of course (this is Micro$oft) but with the PS3 it's already there on the disc.

As for video playback, yeah they are the same. You can only use up so much space for a 2 hour movie. Even with a TrueHD soundtrack and 1080p you won't be close to 20 gigs.
BP is offline  
post #47 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Blu-Ray FTW
Osiris is offline  
post #48 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
I'm going to TTT this thread in 1 year when i get proven right, yet again.
In for this.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
post #49 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
$1000 for a blu-ray player?! "I don't know where you get your information," but thats the price for LG's bd and hd-dvd player.
I wasn't talking about the hybrid dual format player. I'm talking about a HD DVD standalone player which you can get for about $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 08-23-2007 at 04:12 AM.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
post #50 of 133 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Lifer
 
Mustangman_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: D/FW
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP

As for video playback, yeah they are the same. You can only use up so much space for a 2 hour movie. Even with a TrueHD soundtrack and 1080p you won't be close to 20 gigs.
Exactly.

They are the same on video playback because they use the same codec. It's a matter of capacity, which is not an issue for a standard 2 hour movie HD content movie + multichannel soundtrack. In terms of watching a HD DVD movie you will get the same result, which for me is why I find debates like this rather futile.

It's quite simple actually.....

HD DVD = 1080i/1080p video + lossless Dolby TrueHD audio plus, it's cheaper to manufacture the discs and cheaper for the end user. I really don't see what the downside is regarding watching movies. I can understand the benefits of greater capacity in terms of gaming, but that's about it. I think some people just tend to think in terms of more is always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome