Apple/iPhone Under Fire (by idiots) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Apple/iPhone Under Fire (by idiots)

Wow. How stupid. Make Apple give people free batteries because they wear out? HOLY SHIT! BATTERIES WEAR OUT? Come on now...

"In June, The Foundation For Taxpayer and Consumer Rights also objected to the battery replacement policy, and called on Apple and AT&T to offer free batteries for the life of the iPhone. The group also objected to AT&T's $175 cancellation fee for early termination of the service."

If you don't like their terms, don't do business with them...

iPhone Buyers Were Ill-Informed About Battery, Lawyer Argues

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek Wed Aug 1, 6:04 PM ET

The lawyer who has filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple and AT&T said Wednesday the companies duped iPhone buyers by failing to disclose how expensive it would be to replace the battery.
ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Drury filed the suit last week in Circuit Court in Chicago, joining others in accusing Apple of failing to make clear to iPhone buyers how much it would cost to replace the battery. On Monday, the Consumer Protection Board in New York called on Apple to make replacing the battery easier and less expensive.

Drury told InformationWeek that Apple and AT&T, the exclusive service provider, sold the iPhone without fully disclosing the cost during its lifetime. "As a mater of policy and good business practices, they should have disclosed to the public, who is paying a considerable amount of money for this phone, exactly what it was going to cost them at the end of the day," Drury said.

The Consumer Protection Board echoed those allegations, saying in a letter to Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs that Apple should "review its practices in disclosing contract terms and conditions, warranties and return policies." Board Chairwoman and Executive Director Mindy A. Bockstein said disclosures on the cost of replacing the batter should be more prominently displayed in Apple stores and online.

"A high-end cell phone shouldn't have to have low-end customer service," Bockstein said.

An Apple spokeswoman told InformationWeek the company does not comment on pending litigation.

At issue is the fact that buying an iPhone, which depending on the model can cost as much as $600, means eventually having to send the device back to Apple to replace the battery for $79, plus a shipping fee of $6.95. For people who can't live without a phone for the three days it would take to repair it, Apple will rent a phone for $29.

The CPB also objected to the iPhone's 14-day trial period offered by Apple, while the AT&T telephone service comes with a 30-day grace period in which a customer can cancel without penalty.

Drury filed the lawsuit on behalf of plaintiff Jose Trujillo, accusing the defendants of "purposeful and fraudulent concealment" of the additional battery costs. "Purchasers should have known before purchasing the phone, so they could have made a reasonable decision," Drury said.

The suit contends that the battery can only be charged 300 times before it needs to be replaced, which for many buyers would mean paying for a new power supply once a year. Apple, however, claims the battery lasts a lot longer, because a charge cycle runs from zero to fully charged. Charging a half-spent battery, for example, would only be half a charge cycle.

The lawsuit does not ask for a specific amount of damages, but says the companies should be ordered to pay actual, compensatory, and punitive damages, as well as attorney fees and costs.

In June, The Foundation For Taxpayer and Consumer Rights also objected to the battery replacement policy, and called on Apple and AT&T to offer free batteries for the life of the iPhone. The group also objected to AT&T's $175 cancellation fee for early termination of the service.

In releasing quarterly earnings last month, Apple said it expected to sell a million iPhones by the end of the current quarter, and 10 million within the first 12 months. The combination phone, media player and handheld computer went on sale on June 29.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Ipod anyone?

macbook anyone?

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Custom Title

Razr FTW!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
At issue is the fact that buying an iPhone, which depending on the model can cost as much as $600, means eventually having to send the device back to Apple to replace the battery for $79, plus a shipping fee of $6.95. For people who can't live without a phone for the three days it would take to repair it, Apple will rent a phone for $29.
I have to admit, that's pretty gay. I knew about it the day after the things went on sale, but they should disclose info like that and be up front with it for people that bought it.

What a scam, make it so users can't change out the battery and charge 'em for it.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX
What a scam, make it so users can't change out the battery and charge 'em for it.
I'm guessing you don't own an ipod!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I'm guessing you don't own an ipod!
That's one of the big problems I have with the iPod myself. I think the batteries should be user changeable. Yeah, technically you can if you order the battery, look up some internet article and have a steady hand...but it should be like replacing a battery on a lot of other devices. Modular.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
That's one of the big problems I have with the iPod myself. I think the batteries should be user changeable. Yeah, technically you can if you order the battery, look up some internet article and have a steady hand...but it should be like replacing a battery on a lot of other devices. Modular.

Take care,
It's actually not hard if you've got the right tool. Case pops right off. Battery replacment takes about a minute.

iPhone should be the same way, as it's got the same universal connector... but they soldered the battery wire to the board. That pretty much sucks.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
It's actually not hard if you've got the right tool. Case pops right off. Battery replacment takes about a minute.

iPhone should be the same way, as it's got the same universal connector... but they soldered the battery wire to the board. That pretty much sucks.
Oh I concur and do not doubt your statement. However, most electronics I buy (MP3 players, cell phones...pdas) I get seperate batteries for them. Sometimes you simply can not charge the device, or you don't have enough time to charge it if you forgot.

I just have the opinion that it limits its usefulness without a modular battery for the "aw shit" type moments.

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Gunga galunga

It doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me... I've had my newest iPod for over a year now and the battery will still go 8 hours on a charge. I know I switch phones atleast every two years so it really wouldn't bother me too much... I could see someone that uses a spare battery regularly though having an issue.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Oh I concur and do not doubt your statement. However, most electronics I buy (MP3 players, cell phones...pdas) I get seperate batteries for them. Sometimes you simply can not charge the device, or you don't have enough time to charge it if you forgot.

I just have the opinion that it limits its usefulness without a modular battery for the "aw shit" type moments.
Yeah, I do agree with that. Though I've been seeing these battery packs lately, it looks like they plug into the universal connector, and provide extra charge when the internal battery dies. I've been seeing them lately at Fry's, but haven't ever really thought to check them out. My 5G iPod still hits a good 12+ hours on a full charge, and it's nearing 2 years old (bought December '05).

I've never really had an "aw shit" moment At work, I have it plugged into the USB on my computer, playing through iTunes, so it's constantly charged. At home it sits in the dock, either connected to my computer, or the stereo and an a/c adapter. In the car, I've got an iPod connector that keeps it charged (was using an FM tuner before I got my new car)

The only time I use it on battery is when I work out, and this past vacation on the plane to and from Hawaii (about a 7.5 hr flight, still had roughly half the battery showing after each flight. Carried the a/c adapter with me so I could charge it in the hotel). Also used it in the rental car in Hawaii through the auxiliary port/headphone jack.

DarkWolf

Last edited by DarkWolf; 08-10-2007 at 04:00 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Though I've been seeing these battery packs lately, it looks like they plug into the universal connector, and provide extra charge when the internal battery dies. I've been seeing them lately at Fry's, but haven't ever really thought to check them out.
Ive read some stories about those battery pack causing phones to explode in Japan.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Target Practice

That's ridiculous, anyone who has ever owned or even seen an ipod knows you can't change out the batteries. Fucking morons waiting 10 months for an iphone have been drooling over the details on apple.com for months. they knew what they were getting themselves into. shit. They don't tell you how much repairs will be when you buy a car, why should they when you buy a damn phone? Fuckin idiots

White Hot Media
VENUECITY.com
Carmod.net
The Standard Issue <-RIP
SJB 3.29.85-1.24.08
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
The suit contends that the battery can only be charged 300 times before it needs to be replaced, which for many buyers would mean paying for a new power supply once a year. Apple, however, claims the battery lasts a lot longer, because a charge cycle runs from zero to fully charged. Charging a half-spent battery, for example, would only be half a charge cycle.

Sounds like manufactured obsolescence to me.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash19
That's ridiculous, anyone who has ever owned or even seen an ipod knows you can't change out the batteries. Fucking morons waiting 10 months for an iphone have been drooling over the details on apple.com for months. they knew what they were getting themselves into. shit. They don't tell you how much repairs will be when you buy a car, why should they when you buy a damn phone? Fuckin idiots
The Ipod also didn't cost $500+
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
The Ipod also didn't cost $500+
Yes, it did. And had about the same storage, didn't play movies, no pictures, no wifi, no internet, no phone service, no touch screen, hell not even a color screen ... just a plain music player.

Quote:
Sounds like manufactured obsolescence to me.
Batteries degrade over time. Unless you've got some magic battery that doesn't?

The only potential to claim manufactured obsolescence is that the battery wire has been soldered to the board. Anyone with a modicum of soldering skill should be able to handle it when the time arrives. For those who can't, there's the replacement service. $80 to replace a battery that's going to cost you around $50 to do it yourself isn't all that bad of a deal (or do you expect Apple to work for free?)

There's also 3rd party services for replacing the batteries, that are a bit cheaper than Apple. ipodjuice.com will do it for $45 (if you pay for the shipping.), $65 for regular shipping, or $95 for express shipping. And they guarantee the battery for 10 years.

DarkWolf
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 PM
IA2

Quote:
Batteries degrade over time. Unless you've got some magic battery that doesn't?
I find it rather poor engineering anymore when a device that contains a battery cannot be easily serviced by the consumer for the reason you stated above - batteries wear out and fail over time. Apple knew this and soldered the damn thing in there anyway. What the hell were they thinking? It was either planned to be a revenue source or it was just piss poor engineering. Either way, apple screwed up this deal badly. Now that I think about it, most of my electronics with non-serviceable batteries are made by apple. Planned obsolescence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement