Laptop wireless card? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Laptop wireless card?

what is the fastest wireless card you can get for a laptop? is the 802 thing the only option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
duh...duh....duh

define wireless. Cellular or only 802.x stuff? 802.11n is about the best supposedly. How fast do you need?

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

ya sorry, DSL with a router kind of wireless...

i dont know, i just heard those wireless cards are about half the speed of pluggin in the cable itself... wondering what the options are out there

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
duh...duh....duh

Yeah, wireless has its place. I personally have all my stuff wired, but have an AP (802.11g) up incase I have guests who need Internet connectivity. Wired will usually be your best bet.

My understanding is that 802.11n is the latest and greatest, although I still don't think it is a formal standard yet.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

They aren't that bad. I have used linksys for the longest time. Great brand to start with. If you are deciding to spend some big bucks go with the (N) routers and cards. You'll longer range and faster internet. Are you wanting to go wireless on a desktop or laptop?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLfanatic
what is the fastest wireless card you can get for a laptop? is the 802 thing the only option?

[geek hat on]

FYI

802 is simply a standard that involves two layers of the network reference model. There are several subsets to 802. The most common are 802.1 which involves LAN protocols, 802.3 which Ethernet, and 802.11 which is Wireless LAN. The a, b, g, and n are amendments to the standard.

802.11n is the newest standard and hasn't even been completed yet. That is why several 802.11n routers are called "draft n" or "pre-n" routers. However 802.11n allows for a theoretical transmission bandwidth of 270Mb per sec. The a, b, and g standards are basically slower. However 802.11n can be operated in modes that are backwards compatible with a, b, a/b, and g

[/geek hat off]

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Unless your wanting to play online games or download HUGE amounts of data any of the wireless standards will work just fine for normal uses. Unless you buy something used I seriously doubt you could find anything Wireless B (11mbps) anymore..most things are Wireless G (54-108mbps). I surf all day long using 11mbps Wireless B and it works just fine although downloads take a while. Its still leaps and bounds faster than dial up.

FUCK Canada
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

Well, for the most part your downloads are going to be limited to you Internet connection. Unless you have a DS3 or better, FIOS...etc 11b would work. However, the speeds are assuming theoretical perfect connection.

I'd at least go 11g. PC to PC transfers will be heavily slowed by 11b and 11g will still be slow compared to wired. 11g will also allow you to utilize faster Internet connections such as DS3, FIOS and faster - without the wireless adapter affecting speed.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement