Power Supply dilemma - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Power Supply dilemma

I bought a new video card that requires a larger PS. So I do a little research and buy a Thermaltake 430w, which is just enough for what I need. Well, my original Dell power supply doesn't have an On/Off switch but the new one does, meaning there is no cut-out in the case for where the switch would go. So my options are either buying a different PS, modifying (dremel) the case, or shimming the screws so that the PS will be recessed enough to fit the switch behind the metal piece of the case. What do you guys think? I haven't opened the PS box yet because I know I won't get my $ back.

ZYouL8R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I bought a new video card that requires a larger PS. So I do a little research and buy a Thermaltake 430w, which is just enough for what I need. Well, my original Dell power supply doesn't have an On/Off switch but the new one does, meaning there is no cut-out in the case for where the switch would go. So my options are either buying a different PS, modifying (dremel) the case, or shimming the screws so that the PS will be recessed enough to fit the switch behind the metal piece of the case. What do you guys think? I haven't opened the PS box yet because I know I won't get my $ back.
Do you want to cut the case? If it is just a small part of the back who gives a shit.
Skidonenko is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidonenko
Do you want to cut the case? If it is just a small part of the back who gives a shit.
Well I've never done anything like that. Not too sure how safe it is to have small metal pieces flying into my tower. Didn't know if this was SOP's or a completely stupid idea.

ZYouL8R is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I bought a new video card that requires a larger PS. So I do a little research and buy a Thermaltake 430w, which is just enough for what I need. Well, my original Dell power supply doesn't have an On/Off switch but the new one does, meaning there is no cut-out in the case for where the switch would go. So my options are either buying a different PS, modifying (dremel) the case, or shimming the screws so that the PS will be recessed enough to fit the switch behind the metal piece of the case. What do you guys think? I haven't opened the PS box yet because I know I won't get my $ back.

I did something like that for a customer. I had a dremel and I taped the shit off and whatnot and took like 5 minutes. the tape has some fine particles but it work fined afterwards.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 PM
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Well I've never done anything like that. Not too sure how safe it is to have small metal pieces flying into my tower. Didn't know if this was SOP's or a completely stupid idea.
Got any tin snips? and like above take it off/stick a towl in there/cover up/ take out the parts 1st
Skidonenko is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Screw it. I'm going to get longer screws tomorrow because I'm not going to drive all the way back to Fry's to return it. It's just held in there by 1 screw now and the case is resting on it's side. This is a shot in the dark, but do any of ya'll know the size and thread pitch of these screws? They seem to be pretty standard.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Screw it. I'm going to get longer screws tomorrow because I'm not going to drive all the way back to Fry's to return it. It's just held in there by 1 screw now and the case is resting on it's side. This is a shot in the dark, but do any of ya'll know the size and thread pitch of these screws? They seem to be pretty standard.
Take one to the hardware store with you, If tou cannot match it up get some regular sheetmetal screws at least the same diameter. Mechanically inclined much?
Skidonenko is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidonenko
Take one to the hardware store with you, If tou cannot match it up get some regular sheetmetal screws at least the same diameter. Mechanically inclined much?
Yeah, I'm mechanically inclined because I asked for a size and thread pitch

Since this is such a small screw, I'd like to know the size before I go into Home Depot and waste 10 minutes trying to match it up. Guess I'm just an idiot.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Yeah, I'm mechanically inclined because I asked for a size and thread pitch

Since this is such a small screw, I'd like to know the size before I go into Home Depot and waste 10 minutes trying to match it up. Guess I'm just an idiot.


Just get some legos and make a new case





2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544


Duct Tape FTW

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I might, im drunk.......
 
Skidonenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: .
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
Yeah, I'm mechanically inclined because I asked for a size and thread pitch

Since this is such a small screw, I'd like to know the size before I go into Home Depot and waste 10 minutes trying to match it up. Guess I'm just an idiot.
I did not call you and idiot/stupid or dumb, I was alittle drunk and might have been harsh but this is such a simple task
Skidonenko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome