Which Blackberry and provider? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Which Blackberry and provider?

I've got to get a Blackberry and new service for my job.

I want to get a Blackberry that lets me tether it by a USB cable to my laptop so I can use it as a modem.

The options are:

Verizon with the Blackberry 8830 world phone edition ($199 after rebate) $99 for 900 minutes and unlimited internet.

Sprint with the Blackberry 8830 ($199 after rebate) and the same pricing for service....

ATT offers the Blackberry Curve for $199 but 900 + blackberry unlimited + tethering cost $120.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything I might be overlooking? At this point I think I'm going to go with Verizon's plan.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

verizon FTW!

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
duh...duh....duh

I'm a verizon fan for personal use and my work blackberry is via Verizon...good service...etc...etc *I* don't have any complaints. T-mobile was good at the previous job, but I have no experience with the other 2 providers listed.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

i say verizon. I have had phone service with all the major providers and verizon is the best

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
"SHOW HIM THE BIRD!"

i love my t-mobile, i have damn good coverage. Sprint suck at coverage most of the places i go with my friends that have sprint never have service when i do. ATT is awesome too. I was going to go with them but i couldn't get service with out an outrageous deposit, and i had excellent credit with t-mobile and sprint (never missed a payment/always on time)

As for the BB i would go with the Curve. Its a great up to date phone, with great features.

Personally i like the pearl for portability but you would not want it for a business phone.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
well I would have said att, since i work for the company, but after talking a manger about my new phone and that I had to sign a contract but was never told I had to, I would say stay clear of them. I hear people bitching all day about how they were lied to and always thought yea sure what ever, but yet here I am an employee of hte company and was lied to, and all they tell me is not their problem either keep the phone and the contract or take it back with in the 30 days. so now if verizon or tmobile can offer me a better deal I am saying a big FU to att. they can still pay me to work for them but fuck paying them money back.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Thanks for the opinions (especially Cartman)

Anyone else.

At this point I guess I'll be looking at Verizon.

Does anyone have the 8830 BB World Edition or the regular 8830?

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Thanks for the opinions (especially Cartman)

Anyone else.

At this point I guess I'll be looking at Verizon.

Does anyone have the 8830 BB World Edition or the regular 8830?
no problem, I really wouldn't want to wish the service or lack there of at cingular on any body. but the good news after talking to a lawyer friend since I didn't sign anything or click I agree to any contract I am held accountable to have to abide by it. so if I can get my phone unlocked I am going to switch providers and use my phone that I had to pay 150 for brand new with someone else.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
well I would have said att, since i work for the company, but after talking a manger about my new phone and that I had to sign a contract but was never told I had to, I would say stay clear of them. I hear people bitching all day about how they were lied to and always thought yea sure what ever, but yet here I am an employee of hte company and was lied to, and all they tell me is not their problem either keep the phone and the contract or take it back with in the 30 days. so now if verizon or tmobile can offer me a better deal I am saying a big FU to att. they can still pay me to work for them but fuck paying them money back.
You know, I find this somewhat hard to chew. I have had outstanding service (wireless and customer) from them to the point that they have given me minutes to keep me from going over and offering me an upgrade whem I'm not even eligible for another 5 months, due to repeated issues w/ my current handset.

I don't know if it's because my wife and I have been w/ them more than 4 yrs. and never later on a payment or the fact that we spend a good chunk of change annually.

Now the phone ins. people are a whole different thing.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Lifer

As far as coverage around DFW you can't go wrong with Verizon. I had them for 6 years and was happy with the coverage in TX. I now have a BB Pearl with Cingular. My company decides who we use and pays for it so I didn't have a choice. So far after about 3 months I can't tell any difference in coverage and the phone works pretty good. I have my MS Outlook e-mail going to it and it works great so far. I don't know if you can do this, but I wish there was a way to use the BB as a modem and just connect it to my laptop with the Bluetooth. So basically if I have my Pearl in the holster I can whip out the laptop and get on the web with no cables or anything.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
You know, I find this somewhat hard to chew. I have had outstanding service (wireless and customer) from them to the point that they have given me minutes to keep me from going over and offering me an upgrade whem I'm not even eligible for another 5 months, due to repeated issues w/ my current handset.

I don't know if it's because my wife and I have been w/ them more than 4 yrs. and never later on a payment or the fact that we spend a good chunk of change annually.

Now the phone ins. people are a whole different thing.
I have been with them for almost 8yrs when it was att wireless. I work for ATT for the last 4 yrs. to be talked to by a manger on the wireless side like I was, and told me that not only does he not have to call the store I got my phone at but will not because he doesn't want to. he also said he didn't care that hte sales man lied to me that if I don't like it take the phone back and cancel with in 30 days. well after talking to a lawyer friend I have asked for my signing of a contract and they told me that it doesn't matter if I signed one agreed to one I am under one.

As for my job I hear people all time tell me how they are lied to and thought yea sure whatever just pay your bill and move on, but now I understand. It is sad that I have to contact escalations at my own company to get help. My manger couldn't even believe what I was told and she heard the whole convo. If I can get my curve unlocked to use with other providers I will port my number over and never use them again.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM

I signed up with Cingular and got a good deal on my Blackberry. Then AT&T took them over and you know the rest. Haven't had any problems with either. Later I got my wireless phone card added on. That is a great option when I travel and need to connect to the company server through VPN.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
I have been with them for almost 8yrs when it was att wireless. I work for ATT for the last 4 yrs. to be talked to by a manger on the wireless side like I was, and told me that not only does he not have to call the store I got my phone at but will not because he doesn't want to. he also said he didn't care that hte sales man lied to me that if I don't like it take the phone back and cancel with in 30 days. well after talking to a lawyer friend I have asked for my signing of a contract and they told me that it doesn't matter if I signed one agreed to one I am under one.

As for my job I hear people all time tell me how they are lied to and thought yea sure whatever just pay your bill and move on, but now I understand. It is sad that I have to contact escalations at my own company to get help. My manger couldn't even believe what I was told and she heard the whole convo. If I can get my curve unlocked to use with other providers I will port my number over and never use them again.

You are just a number to them.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 AM
How you doin'

i have had t-mobile, and their service was terrible...same with sprint. i have at&t now (had it for 4 years or so) and i have service everywhere i go...even when i go visit my grandfather in the boonies! (hemp hill, tx)

brad
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Thumbs up Ive got one....

I just got the 8830 World Phone from Verizon in the last few weeks. I cant really complain...voice quality/clarity is great...very clear bright screen...navigation is cool also...It comes with desktop manager that allows you to load video, music, ringtones, etc.

Ive got the unlimited data plan...network response times are great for browsing.

Its packed with options and features...its certainly the latest and greatest in Blackberry tech.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement