Modded PS2? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Modded PS2?

Who all has one? What is involved in modding, and then in burning the games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
He's no good to me dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1
Who all has one? What is involved in modding, and then in burning the games?
I have one. I moded my slim with a chip (I forgot the name/ver. chip...its been so long.) I also use Swap Magic 3 for my older model one. I would not recommend using soldier chips if you don't have soldiering skills or the equipment (or if you like your warrentee for that matter.)

I would take the chip vs. soldierless anyday...just less hassle down the road when you want to use things like Action Replay cheats or region free DVD's/Games.

As far as burning, good ole Nero and Alcohol 120 and a handy BitTorrent client.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
lol, this place sucks now

I have one. I just bought the PS2 network adapter($100), a Maxtor 120gig internal hard drive($50), and the HDAdvance software ($25)

I use mine all the time, there have been a few games that it hasn't worked with, but I have about 20 games on there now.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
fuckcanada

i have the hdadvance software and network adapter from my modded ps2 if you want to buy it. (original "big" ps2)
I don't play it anymore so it serves me no purpose.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
i have the hdadvance software and network adapter from my modded ps2 if you want to buy it. (original "big" ps2)

does it work for the slim?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn' Stabbin
As far as burning, good ole Nero and Alcohol 120 and a handy BitTorrent client.
i have a slim and the original, and was thinking about modding the original. as far as backing up and burning games, HOW???? i can't figure it out. i have both Nero and Alcohol 120
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath

how much? just the software and network adapter?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
i have a slim and the original, and was thinking about modding the original. as far as backing up and burning games, HOW???? i can't figure it out. i have both Nero and Alcohol 120
Good God PS2 games are simple, Open DVD decrypter in ISO read mode---> to hd then 5 minutes later put a blank "good Quality" DVD-r in Rt click the iso ,open with decrypter, burn to disc 1/2 the speed of the disc(16xdvd= burn at 8x). Ps2's are very finnicky(sp) when it comes to media quality so just unass some green and get good discs.

My V5 is chipped with a matrix infinity, 18 wires to solder and all but 5 were easy. Soldering a wire to the eprom is kinda tight. Ive got a hardrive + hdadvance, media player, but i find myself using the xbox for those tasks(more user friendly IMO)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You do realize Sony pulled the network adapters from stores, right? Ebay is about the only place ive found them... then $40 and up for em.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Lifer

hey I have a network adapter for sale... make me a reasonable offer. Would have to be shipped from lubbock.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
does it work for the slim?
C/p----> 3. I have a new slim line PS2. Do I need to purchase a network adaptor?
No, the new slim line model of the Playstation 2 has a built in Network Adaptor. U.S. Slim lines do support Dial Up connections. .
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Good God PS2 games are simple, Open DVD decrypter in ISO read mode---> to hd then 5 minutes later put a blank "good Quality" DVD-r in Rt click the iso ,open with decrypter, burn to disc 1/2 the speed of the disc(16xdvd= burn at 8x). Ps2's are very finnicky(sp) when it comes to media quality so just unass some green and get good discs.

My V5 is chipped with a matrix infinity, 18 wires to solder and all but 5 were easy. Soldering a wire to the eprom is kinda tight. Ive got a hardrive + hdadvance, media player, but i find myself using the xbox for those tasks(more user friendly IMO)
you still need a mod chip no matter what, correct?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
C/p----> 3. I have a new slim line PS2. Do I need to purchase a network adaptor?
No, the new slim line model of the Playstation 2 has a built in Network Adaptor. U.S. Slim lines do support Dial Up connections. .

sorry I am kinda new to this. what all will i need to do be able to play backedup/copied games on my slim ps2?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
RUN BABY RUN!!!

What will a modded PS2 do for you?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
you still need a mod chip no matter what, correct?
Correct, i'd recommend having a chip installed by a pro, unless your good with a soldering iron. Very easy to brick it.. Ive hear the flip top works but is doggy. My infinity plays everything.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Correct, i'd recommend having a chip installed by a pro, unless your good with a soldering iron. Very easy to brick it.. Ive hear the flip top works but is doggy. My infinity plays everything.

could you link a reccomended chip?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Time Served

Quote:
sorry I am kinda new to this. what all will i need to do be able to play backedup/copied games on my slim ps2?
there are basically 2 ways.

1. if you go the mod chip route then you can just burn games, toss them in and play them. unfortunately this requires you to open up your ps2 and take some things apart then solder about 18 or so little wires to your ps2 and then to the chip. depending on the chip you get it can be more or less but in general the slim ps2 has a lot more soldering to do than the older ps2s.

i wouldn't do this unless you have considerable soldering experience. you can break your ps2 beyond repair doing this incorrectly. there are pretty detailed directions on the internet so don't worry too much about taking it apart and putting it together.

2. you can instead modify your case to have a flip top. then use the method called the swap disc. basically, you put in a special swap disc (magic swap disc, google it) start up the ps2 and then when it tells you then you open the flip top (ps2 stays on because you modified it) and then put in the copied game and it will start up.

this method is good if you aren't comfortable soldering. it's more of a hassle when you want to play a game but it's pretty safe.

As far as recommending a chip you can go to modchipstore.com and look around at ps2 slim chips to see if it is something you want to get into. I looked into doing this on my slim ps2 but just decided to stick with playing backed up games on a modded xbox instead (much easier to mod). there are only a few ps2 exclusive titles and most of them are greatest hits now and only cost like $20.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
could you link a reccomended chip?
Green dot matrix infinity.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
I have a network adapter for sale. 40 bucks.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
sorry haven't checked this thread, just shoot me an offer.
The ps2 isn't even in use now, and I got the adapter and cd in my closest.
what area are you in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement