Server Help - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Server Help

I setup my 2003 windows server release 2 last night. I can get the other computers in the house to see the server but it wont allow them to view the drive, it says access denied. The other computers in the house are just in a workgroup and not part of a domain. anyway I can just map the drive? one computer is running XP the other two are Windows 2000. I try to add a user to the new domain and it wont take any of the passwords I supply, it keeps saying that it doesnt meet the lenght or complexity etc. I have gone in and set all those to disable etc. Any help would be great. Thanks
slowimport96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Well, just to be clear is the 2K3 server a DC or is it in the same workgroup as the PCs?

password problem, are you making a password that meets the complexity requirements?

I'll check back later, got a coffee buzz and can't focus...sry.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Well, just to be clear is the 2K3 server a DC or is it in the same workgroup as the PCs?

password problem, are you making a password that meets the complexity requirements?

I'll check back later, got a coffee buzz and can't focus...sry.

Take care

Well I set it up as a domain say fun.net so it is not in the same workgroup as the pcs. I am not sure if I can set up the fun.net domain controller to work with a @home workgroup

Password problem, yes I am making a password that meets the requirements I setup using the admin tools. Thanks
slowimport96 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
k, coffee wore off a bit. You're down the right track and I think you know the answer. You'll setup a fun.net domain user (eg. test). For shits and giggles use [email protected] as the password, if that fails I'll have to digress and hopefully the more server savy folks here can help.

Anyway, then when your mapping a drive to the server from a workgroup PC you'd use the following in the username slot...

fun.net\test

Password is... [email protected]

I'm not server oriented so I can't help troubleshoot the password problem any further. Have you googled the problem? I am interested in the resolution since I'm about to setup W2k3 myself...

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
nice job ceyko

I have a 2k3 dc at home and don't have all the machines in it but to access shares I just do a \\servername\share in the run prompt then it should ask for username & password

If you want it to be transparent then you need to join the machines to the fun.net domain and log into the machine using a domain account that has permissions to the shares.

I haven't done this yet to my wife or kids for fear of mutiny from my l33t GPO skills. But the first time my kids get out of line when they are older its into the domain they go. [Insert BOFH comment here]

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Hmmm
 
slowimport96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
nice job ceyko

I have a 2k3 dc at home and don't have all the machines in it but to access shares I just do a \\servername\share in the run prompt then it should ask for username & password

If you want it to be transparent then you need to join the machines to the fun.net domain and log into the machine using a domain account that has permissions to the shares.

I haven't done this yet to my wife or kids for fear of mutiny from my l33t GPO skills. But the first time my kids get out of line when they are older its into the domain they go. [Insert BOFH comment here]

you are 100% dead on with all the above statements, but my problem is It wont allow me to make the usernames because of the password errors I kept getting when trying to setup a new username and password.
slowimport96 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Very Interesting
 
The Big Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Around the World
Posts: 9,856
your password restrictions are too strict.

Try the following:
More than 7 characters
at least one upper case letter
at least one lower case letter
at least one number
at least on special character (*&%@) etc...

try setting your default passwords to - [email protected]
or - [email protected]

something like that

or just turn off the password complexity all together.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
The Big Matt is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:42 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
your password restrictions are too strict.

Try the following:
More than 7 characters
at least one upper case letter
at least one lower case letter
at least one number
at least on special character (*&%@) etc...

try setting your default passwords to - [email protected]
or - [email protected]

something like that

or just turn off the password complexity all together.
True password complexity all gets 0wned by rainbow tables

(I've got the tables for the full charset for lanman here at work)

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome