another question from the computer noob. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

another question from the computer noob.

ok. I am trying to transplant a HD that already has windows XP on it to another computer who's hard drive crapped out. I do not have acess to a windows XP boot disc. So. What the obvious thing to do would be just to download and install the chipset drivers in the proper directory while the good hard drive is still in it's computer, then take it out and set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to auto-detect, right? well i dont know where to put the chipset drivers, and if i even try to extract them to the desktop i get "The hardware for these don't exist, so nothing has happened" or some crap. well of course it don't exist yet cause I have yet to put the HD in the computer that has that motherboard.

any suggestions? (dont say google). and if you do say google, instead of saying google, say a website that can explain this stuff to a newb. i am not a seaseoned comp guru like all you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-23-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:28 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
ok. I am trying to transplant a HD that already has windows XP on it to another computer who's hard drive crapped out. I do not have acess to a windows XP boot disc. So. What the obvious thing to do would be just to download and install the chipset drivers in the proper directory, then set the jumper on the hard drive to auto-detect, right? well i dont know where to put the chipset drivers, and if i even thry to extract them to the desktop i get "The hardware for these don't exist" or some crap. well of course it don't exist yet cause I have yet to ut the HD in the computer that has that motherboard.

any suggestions? (dont say google)
You could put that hard drive onto a new setup and XP will auto install the drivers for the most part. The only problem is that the old drivers could conflict with the new drivers and could cause errors down the road. If you don't know how to manually place the drivers don't fuck with 'em. Let windows auto install. If you can't figure that out shoot me a PM and I could do it for a small fee.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

i may take you up on your small fee. but what do you mean by a new setup? are you refering to the computer with the crapped out hard drive? if so then how do i configure windows to downlaod the drivers on it's own? cause i cant even get a boot out of it when i try the transplant. i just get "what do you wana do? safe mode, safe mode with networking, start windows normaly, ect." then when i choose one, it just restarts the whole process over again. never can get windows to come up. the best response i have gotten yet was when i set the jumper to master, then it wanted me to boot from the CD.(which i am guessing would be an XP install disc). i dont wana pay another $100 so i am trying to do this the cheaper way. and i did pay for windows a long time ago so i dont see why i should have to buy it again. i just lost the disc.

also, how can i disable the old drivers? i never did that. i thought if i disabled them, i would be completely screwed, and not be able to get a boot out of either computer cause now the one i am trying to work with and convert has it's drivers disabled and so now it cant even function in the computer it came in.

Quote:
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
3rd shift sloucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
You could put that hard drive onto a new setup and XP will auto install the drivers for the most part. The only problem is that the old drivers could conflict with the new drivers and could cause errors down the road. If you don't know how to manually place the drivers don't fuck with 'em. Let windows auto install. If you can't figure that out shoot me a PM and I could do it for a small fee.

ROFL........dont even listen to RedHornet.....PLEASE

There is prob a 25% chance that windows will even boot on the new system due to the HAL being fucked as Windows XP doesnt like to be moved for Piracy reasons..... Just reinstall and put the old xp disk as a slave and pull every thing from that drive you need.

Redhornet.....Please go pull the CMOS out of your Motherboard again,

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk

There is prob a 25% chance that windows will even boot on the new system due to the HAL being fucked as Windows XP doesnt like to be moved for Piracy reasons..... Just reinstall and put the old xp disk as a slave and pull every thing from that drive you need.

lmfao. You know you love it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
3rd shift sloucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
lmfao. You know you love it.
n3g ghost rider.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk

so when i use the XP disc to get my boot, (which i assume is when you set the jumper to master and it starts asking for a disc) does it pretty much wipe the HD? And then you gots reload all your programs and put all your device drivers back on?

Quote:

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
so when i use the XP disc to get my boot, (which i assume is when you set the jumper to master and it starts asking for a disc) does it pretty much wipe the HD? And then you gots reload all your programs and put all your device drivers back on?

correct.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

so there is pretty much no sure way to do this, without the windows XP boot disc. but even if i had the disc, how does window even get to start working on the new system when it has no drivers? i mean, when you load XP on a bran new system how the hell does it know what to do with no chipset drivers?

Quote:

Quote:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

So you want to copy all the data off the old hd onto a new one?

You can do a Norton Ghost Drive Copy. I did it from 36 gig raptor to 74 gig raptor and then to my 150 raptor... no reinstall.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement