another question from the computer noob. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.
 
justinsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ft worth
Posts: 4,039
another question from the computer noob.

ok. I am trying to transplant a HD that already has windows XP on it to another computer who's hard drive crapped out. I do not have acess to a windows XP boot disc. So. What the obvious thing to do would be just to download and install the chipset drivers in the proper directory while the good hard drive is still in it's computer, then take it out and set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to auto-detect, right? well i dont know where to put the chipset drivers, and if i even try to extract them to the desktop i get "The hardware for these don't exist, so nothing has happened" or some crap. well of course it don't exist yet cause I have yet to put the HD in the computer that has that motherboard.


any suggestions? (dont say google). and if you do say google, instead of saying google, say a website that can explain this stuff to a newb. i am not a seaseoned comp guru like all you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-23-2007 at 05:29 PM.
justinsn95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:28 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
ok. I am trying to transplant a HD that already has windows XP on it to another computer who's hard drive crapped out. I do not have acess to a windows XP boot disc. So. What the obvious thing to do would be just to download and install the chipset drivers in the proper directory, then set the jumper on the hard drive to auto-detect, right? well i dont know where to put the chipset drivers, and if i even thry to extract them to the desktop i get "The hardware for these don't exist" or some crap. well of course it don't exist yet cause I have yet to ut the HD in the computer that has that motherboard.


any suggestions? (dont say google)
You could put that hard drive onto a new setup and XP will auto install the drivers for the most part. The only problem is that the old drivers could conflict with the new drivers and could cause errors down the road. If you don't know how to manually place the drivers don't fuck with 'em. Let windows auto install. If you can't figure that out shoot me a PM and I could do it for a small fee.
Osiris is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.
 
justinsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ft worth
Posts: 4,039
i may take you up on your small fee. but what do you mean by a new setup? are you refering to the computer with the crapped out hard drive? if so then how do i configure windows to downlaod the drivers on it's own? cause i cant even get a boot out of it when i try the transplant. i just get "what do you wana do? safe mode, safe mode with networking, start windows normaly, ect." then when i choose one, it just restarts the whole process over again. never can get windows to come up. the best response i have gotten yet was when i set the jumper to master, then it wanted me to boot from the CD.(which i am guessing would be an XP install disc). i dont wana pay another $100 so i am trying to do this the cheaper way. and i did pay for windows a long time ago so i dont see why i should have to buy it again. i just lost the disc.

also, how can i disable the old drivers? i never did that. i thought if i disabled them, i would be completely screwed, and not be able to get a boot out of either computer cause now the one i am trying to work with and convert has it's drivers disabled and so now it cant even function in the computer it came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

Last edited by justinsn95; 06-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.
justinsn95 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
You could put that hard drive onto a new setup and XP will auto install the drivers for the most part. The only problem is that the old drivers could conflict with the new drivers and could cause errors down the road. If you don't know how to manually place the drivers don't fuck with 'em. Let windows auto install. If you can't figure that out shoot me a PM and I could do it for a small fee.

ROFL........dont even listen to RedHornet.....PLEASE

There is prob a 25% chance that windows will even boot on the new system due to the HAL being fucked as Windows XP doesnt like to be moved for Piracy reasons..... Just reinstall and put the old xp disk as a slave and pull every thing from that drive you need.

Redhornet.....Please go pull the CMOS out of your Motherboard again,

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
RiSk is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM
11-05-09
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oh- sai- rus.
Posts: 21,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
ROFL........dont even listen to RedHornet.....PLEASE

There is prob a 25% chance that windows will even boot on the new system due to the HAL being fucked as Windows XP doesnt like to be moved for Piracy reasons..... Just reinstall and put the old xp disk as a slave and pull every thing from that drive you need.

Redhornet.....Please go pull the CMOS out of your Motherboard again,
lmfao. You know you love it.
Osiris is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
lmfao. You know you love it.
n3g ghost rider.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
RiSk is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.
 
justinsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ft worth
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
ROFL........dont even listen to RedHornet.....PLEASE

There is prob a 25% chance that windows will even boot on the new system due to the HAL being fucked as Windows XP doesnt like to be moved for Piracy reasons..... Just reinstall and put the old xp disk as a slave and pull every thing from that drive you need.

Redhornet.....Please go pull the CMOS out of your Motherboard again,
so when i use the XP disc to get my boot, (which i assume is when you set the jumper to master and it starts asking for a disc) does it pretty much wipe the HD? And then you gots reload all your programs and put all your device drivers back on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
justinsn95 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95
so when i use the XP disc to get my boot, (which i assume is when you set the jumper to master and it starts asking for a disc) does it pretty much wipe the HD? And then you gots reload all your programs and put all your device drivers back on?

correct.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.
 
justinsn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ft worth
Posts: 4,039
so there is pretty much no sure way to do this, without the windows XP boot disc. but even if i had the disc, how does window even get to start working on the new system when it has no drivers? i mean, when you load XP on a bran new system how the hell does it know what to do with no chipset drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"
justinsn95 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian
 
Hunt4m3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: de_aztec
Posts: 4,814
So you want to copy all the data off the old hd onto a new one?

You can do a Norton Ghost Drive Copy. I did it from 36 gig raptor to 74 gig raptor and then to my 150 raptor... no reinstall.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness







Ban count: 2
Hunt4m3x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome