VMWare ESX w/ SATA Drives - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

VMWare ESX w/ SATA Drives

I know it's not supported, but has anyone managed to get VMWare ESX to run on SATA?

Got a damned server before reading the requirements. This is for labing some IPT stuff and they are VM images. I COULD run Fedora or a Windows Server variation, but I'm curious if it is possible to get ESX going on SATA drives.

Xen and others support SATA, but I'm stuck with VMWare for now.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.

Last edited by ceyko; 06-18-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
The token Asian guy

Nerd.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Nerd.

Don't ever call me a fucking nerd. I'm a geek, no need to get personal around here.

My '03 Sold.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Yes, you can get it to work by masking the SATA drives through a SCSI card. But like you said, it isn't supported.

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=sata_faq

I can tell you that I've spoken to a VMware rep and SATA support is coming for the console. However they are less clear about supporting VMFS3.

BTW, go get the VCP certification if you can. Its like money in the bank.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

BTW, are you trying to install this on a homebrew system or is it an OEM (Dell, HP, Sun?)

If you are doing this from homebrew (white box) let me know how it goes. I've been meaning to build up a new ESX environment and use iSCSI for my VM's over a NAS. Then I can build up a system with Vmotion, HA, and DRS for testing purposes.

Last edited by Sgt Beavis; 06-19-2007 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Thanks for the reply Beavis. Sadly I saw that article earlier and my controller does not fall under that. I'm not much of a server guy, Cisco only...the reason I'm doing this is to get a production type lab at home for Cisco IP Telephony stuff....Call Manger, Unity...IPCC...AD for AD integration...yadda yadda. These are not supported in production on VM, but work fine for lab.

I'm going to try and get this working. I MIGHT have found a driver for my sata card that might work. Otherwise, I need to get rolling and I'll probably put VMWare server onto Fedora as suggested by another friend.

Oh, this is a homebrew system for lack of a better word. It is a SuperMicro server, good specs, just SATA and I failed to pay attention to the VMWare requirements until after I had the server at my house. With iSCSI, you should not really have a problem - even with a NAS - I think it will work like a champ.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I see what you're trying to do. However you won't be able to run VMFS from a SATA drive without masking it first.

Running VMware Server on Fedora is a viable option IMO.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Incase Sgt Beavis or anyone else cares, Fedora was a viable option. Given that I'm a *nix nim wit I won't try to claim I know how I did it. It was not too tough due to google, but I'm sure I have the most unsecured Linux install ever. I'm going to install a Linux VM just to play with since I really think Fedora looks cool and is fun to play with.

Anyway, I doubt I'll get the performance I would've with an ESX implementation, but as of now I have 2 W2K Server VMs and 1 Windows XP Pro VM with very little mem used and proc is holding up. I'll have a total of about 4-5 W2K Servers, 1 XP Pro, 1 Vista and 1 Linux VM by the time I"m done. With the 3 I have now it is cooking a long pretty good. The server is not a monster either...4 gb RAM (slow stuff), duo core 3.4ghz proc, 400 gb sata drive and that is about all the important stuff.

At work I have a Windows plat with 1 3.0 ghz proc, 2g of RAM, and SCSI drives. Windows with VMWare server and that one only has 2 VMs on it...it runs like mud. I think Linux saved the day for me.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Thats good. I figured it would work out.

Yea, I won't be quite as fast because you don't have a hypervisor available but there are things you can do about that like offloading your VMs to separate hard drive. Also, with a Linux host, you can trim the install down to the bear essentials. Its a bit harder to do that with a Windows Host.

At some point I'm going to install VMware Server on Slackware or a stripped down Ubuntu. My new bosses are requiring me go get my MCSE, so I'll need a new lab.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

heh, yeah I'm sure there is more performance to be had. Some of the problems revolved around certain daemons not running, so I went a little crazy installing/enabling everything. I will need to learn how to do a stripped down version though in the long run.

The interface is amazingly easy to use. In some cases I knew CLI better, but eventually found the same thing with an interface. Maybe along the way with this I'll learn a little Linux as well.

Any reason you're choosing Slackware/Ubuntu? I went Fedora since I heard from a friend that it definetly works due to him having it at his office. But I'm sure game to try something else if it'll be better.

I remember a "which Linux is easiest" thread a bit ago. If Fedora is not the easiest, the others must really be real easy. This was a lot easier then what I remember fighting with 6 years ago with Linux Red Hat.

Take care

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
3rd shift sloucher

We use RHEL or CentOS for EVERYTHING.... Both solid and proven Linux Distros with very little bugs in them.

RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
heh, yeah I'm sure there is more performance to be had. Some of the problems revolved around certain daemons not running, so I went a little crazy installing/enabling everything. I will need to learn how to do a stripped down version though in the long run.

The interface is amazingly easy to use. In some cases I knew CLI better, but eventually found the same thing with an interface. Maybe along the way with this I'll learn a little Linux as well.

Any reason you're choosing Slackware/Ubuntu? I went Fedora since I heard from a friend that it definetly works due to him having it at his office. But I'm sure game to try something else if it'll be better.

I remember a "which Linux is easiest" thread a bit ago. If Fedora is not the easiest, the others must really be real easy. This was a lot easier then what I remember fighting with 6 years ago with Linux Red Hat.

Take care
Have you checked or asked on the VMware forums?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement