Apples to Apples - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Exclamation Apples to Apples

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Gunga galunga

to each their own... I use a PC at home because I enjoy building my own, and they are right about windows dominating in most of the business/retail world, how ever I noticed they didn't bother to mention the creative side.

Walk into any digital design studio wether for still work or film and you will notice a serious lack of windows

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 04:05 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Could the dude be any more nasal-y? Good god. My ears, they bleeds.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
to each their own... I use a PC at home because I enjoy building my own, and they are right about windows dominating in most of the business/retail world, how ever I noticed they didn't bother to mention the creative side.

Walk into any digital design studio wether for still work or film and you will notice a serious lack of windows
I will give Mac that, it is used more in that respect.

Ya'' don't get me wrong, Mac's are great computers, I came across this and felt it post worthy.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Terrorists use macs...

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

There are only a few things I would have a problem with on his price comparisons.

On the Desktop comparison, he doesn't mention whether or not the non apple PC's come with a monitor or not. Only the MacMini ($599) comes without a monitor. The one he quoted for $999 has a 17inch built in display.

His comparison of processors isn't valid because those lower end PCs he is throwing up use lower end processors. They may have the same or similar clock speed but they normally have less cache or other performance enhancing features. When you do a price comparison of a MacBook Pro and a truly matched system like the Dell XPS the price comparison shifts back to the Mac's favor.

Then there are a few overriding factors. Almost without exception, Mac notebooks are thinner and substantially lighter than their competitors. Those XPS systems weigh a ton and usually come with a HUGE power brick. Only the smallest of the XPS systems really compares (and arguably exceeds) Mac laptops.

Then comes quality. Now I'm not going to slam PC manufacturers on quality because I know that the numbers are so close it really doesn't matter that much. However Apple does generally rate at the highest quality levels with Sony being a close 2nd. Apple's extended warranty is also generally regarded as being better than most others in the industry and their customer service IS ranked the highest. And just look at the damn thing. IMO only Sony makes a laptop that is as nice as an apple. Of course it cost just as much too.

I do agree that Apple has more of a markup than Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. But IMO you're getting what you pay for. And once you've considered all the hardware basis, IMO you're still getting a better operating system in OSX. The presenter has a valid point about business apps but just about everything you need to run a business IS available. For example, Exchange may be the king of email but Oracle, IBM, and open source solutions are out there that are arguably better. With Oracle, you can even keep using Outlook, but you're not limited to it.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
3rd shift sloucher

im going to have to disagree ont he apple hardware, most of the time your getting 2ghz cpu... and some ddr2 ram... thats not exactly blazing. I can run an OS almost exactly like OSX...except I didnt have to pay for it, I can pick and choose my hardware, ect ect, Now I have a mac...dont get me twisted. But I think my desktop outruns most Macs hands down without a chance.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
There are only a few things I would have a problem with on his price comparisons.

On the Desktop comparison, he doesn't mention whether or not the non apple PC's come with a monitor or not. Only the MacMini ($599) comes without a monitor. The one he quoted for $999 has a 17inch built in display.

His comparison of processors isn't valid because those lower end PCs he is throwing up use lower end processors. They may have the same or similar clock speed but they normally have less cache or other performance enhancing features. When you do a price comparison of a MacBook Pro and a truly matched system like the Dell XPS the price comparison shifts back to the Mac's favor.

Then there are a few overriding factors. Almost without exception, Mac notebooks are thinner and substantially lighter than their competitors. Those XPS systems weigh a ton and usually come with a HUGE power brick. Only the smallest of the XPS systems really compares (and arguably exceeds) Mac laptops.

Then comes quality. Now I'm not going to slam PC manufacturers on quality because I know that the numbers are so close it really doesn't matter that much. However Apple does generally rate at the highest quality levels with Sony being a close 2nd. Apple's extended warranty is also generally regarded as being better than most others in the industry and their customer service IS ranked the highest. And just look at the damn thing. IMO only Sony makes a laptop that is as nice as an apple. Of course it cost just as much too.

I do agree that Apple has more of a markup than Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. But IMO you're getting what you pay for. And once you've considered all the hardware basis, IMO you're still getting a better operating system in OSX. The presenter has a valid point about business apps but just about everything you need to run a business IS available. For example, Exchange may be the king of email but Oracle, IBM, and open source solutions are out there that are arguably better. With Oracle, you can even keep using Outlook, but you're not limited to it.

How the hell is Sony #2?

Battery Recall anyone? Rootkit Anyone?

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement