Hubs/Switches - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Hubs/Switches

Here at work, I have been assigned the task of finding a new hub or switch standard that is more reliable than these junky NetGear Hubs that we currently have in place. Switches are better and it appears hubs are a dying breed anyway. 100bt, preferablly in the 4-8 port range as they will be going into users cubes or offices to run mutiple devices, like printers, and/or mutiple pc's. I want to hear your recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

are we talking about Desktop or server room switchs? on a desktop level you are obviously limited by your uplink port to the switch ( the port in the wall) so if you ahve 10 pcs on a switch. they are still eating the same pipe outbount, but with the switch you move from a 4-8 port collision domain to single collision domain per port and one broadcast domain. Linksys and netgear are about the same quality and both are cheap solutions but good for the desktop. if you are looking for server room switches i would look at smaller 29xx series cisco switches that are 24-48 ports depending on model and are manageable. I dont see you needing a layer 3 switch so any standard layer 2 switch from cisco would work in your server room..

I still keep a 100mb hub at my desk because when i need to trouble shoot an issue i need the shared collision domain to capture the data rather then having to get a managable switch that i can span ports over...

cliff notes : Desktop user - get netgear or linksys 5-8 port desktop switches
server room : - cisco all the way

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

These are desktop, and they will not have more than 3 or 4 devices hooked to them. Typically no more than 2, maybe 3 pc's on one switch.

We have netgear and we don't like them. We get several calls a day from our branches on these losing connectivity. It's wasting our time because they don't have the common sense to restart them on their own. We want something more reliable than netgear or linksys.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

keep in mind that linksys is now onwned by cisco. Realistically all desktop switchs are going to be about the saome quality. I have deployed netgear switchs with out problems for years. You might want to swap a few out and make sure that its the switch dying and not something else causing the loss in connection.

D.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
keep in mind that linksys is now onwned by cisco. Realistically all desktop switchs are going to be about the saome quality. I have deployed netgear switchs with out problems for years. You might want to swap a few out and make sure that its the switch dying and not something else causing the loss in connection.
We literally have over 100 of the netgears at our branches. Here local, California, New Jersey, Arizona, everywhere. It's not just one or two that is giving us problems, it's alot more. Sometimes we can go a couple of weeks without getting 1 or 2 calls with them being the culprit, then several calls every day for a week from different branches will seem to have problems.

May give Linksys a try. Haven't used those since the late 90's. If Cisco owns them now, they should be better.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 AM

I know it isn't something possible but the best answer is run drops back to the IDF with a proper switch in it. All desktop switches need to be reboot more frequently than they should. I don't think you would be any better off going from Netgear to Linksys.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Lifer

Linksys and Netgear are consumer grade equipment.

If you want reliable, good quality stuff, you need to buy commercial grade equipment. We use these at our lime plants all over the country and dont have to reboot them.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switc...8/overview.htm

They are less than $100 and come with a lifetime warranty. If something happens, you call HP up, they send you a new unit. You box up the bad one and send it back.

Buy a few and test them, you wont be disappointed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Dan, not to burst your bubble.. but right from my contact at HP.. pretty much anything short of a Rack/closet class switch uses the same junky componants whether its a 100$ HP or a 50$ linksys. HP does have a good warrenty though.

lukes suggestion is the best for reliability. Slap in a Cat 6509 with a stupid amount of 48 port blades and run drops back.. althoug this will most likely end up costing 100x more then just getting the switches.

D.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Have you updated the firmware on the devices?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Dan, not to burst your bubble.. but right from my contact at HP.. pretty much anything short of a Rack/closet class switch uses the same junky componants whether its a 100$ HP or a 50$ linksys. HP does have a good warrenty though.

lukes suggestion is the best for reliability. Slap in a Cat 6509 with a stupid amount of 48 port blades and run drops back.. althoug this will most likely end up costing 100x more then just getting the switches.
Its cool, I'm just speaking from my experience. I agree with you guys about running real cables but as usual, no one wants to do it the right way.

I've never cracked open the case to look at the components inside but speaking from my experience, the HP stuff works a lot better than any of the netgear or linksys stuff. Our process control engineers would buy netgear stuff for their PLC's and they wouldn't last more than a few months. I started buying HP stuff for them and they love it because they dont have to mess with it. I love it because I dont have to mess with it...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

switches are like $30, if they cant afford that then rofl @ upgrading. Just african engineer the cabling, no need to make it bad fucking ass if you're just networking 10 computers.

BTW, if you're just talking about setting up a switch in each cube, meh, it probably wouldnt really matter which you went with.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

rofl @ cruz's 1337n355.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

oh noes, my print speed is .0000000004MS slower because i use a hub in my cube!

SOMEONE TURN OFF BIT TORRENT, I CANT FUCKING PRINT!!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Dan
Linksys and Netgear are consumer grade equipment.

If you want reliable, good quality stuff, you need to buy commercial grade equipment. We use these at our lime plants all over the country and dont have to reboot them.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switc...8/overview.htm

They are less than $100 and come with a lifetime warranty. If something happens, you call HP up, they send you a new unit. You box up the bad one and send it back.

Buy a few and test them, you wont be disappointed.
I think we are going to give these a try. Thanks for the input everyone.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
switches are like $30, if they cant afford that then rofl @ upgrading. Just african engineer the cabling, no need to make it bad fucking ass if you're just networking 10 computers.

BTW, if you're just talking about setting up a switch in each cube, meh, it probably wouldnt really matter which you went with.
They are not going to spring the money to run drops at all the locations that have these netgear hubs. So basically we are looking or 2 things. The ones that are requiring a reboot more frequently, we will swap out. And future offices that need a hub, we can send them something. We all hate these netgear hubs. I keep an HP2524 Procurve on my desk just for my 2 machines because I got tired of restarting my netgear every other day.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
They are not going to spring the money to run drops at all the locations that have these netgear hubs. So basically we are looking or 2 things. The ones that are requiring a reboot more frequently, we will swap out. And future offices that need a hub, we can send them something. We all hate these netgear hubs. I keep an HP2524 Procurve on my desk just for my 2 machines because I got tired of restarting my netgear every other day.
I have a netgear 8 port switch. it is on a ups. it has not been power cycled more then once or twice a year for the last 4 yeras. And those 2 times are when i power cyle them for testing.

looks like you just bought bad crap

D.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
I have a netgear 8 port switch. it is on a ups. it has not been power cycled more then once or twice a year for the last 4 yeras. And those 2 times are when i power cyle them for testing.

looks like you just bought bad crap

Doubt it. We have probably 50 or more of them in the field, purchased over the last few years. Most i'm sure came from CDW.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Linksys switches have seen improvements since the Cisco buyout. I highly recommend them.

However you need to lay of that 100bt stuff. Seriously get Gigabit switches so you'll have some scalability. At some point your large switches are going to be Gb too so upgrading the desktop switches now will give a huge performance boost when you make back end upgrades. I don't think the price point is that much more either.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
These are desktop, and they will not have more than 3 or 4 devices hooked to them. Typically no more than 2, maybe 3 pc's on one switch.

We have netgear and we don't like them. We get several calls a day from our branches on these losing connectivity. It's wasting our time because they don't have the common sense to restart them on their own. We want something more reliable than netgear or linksys.
MEMO:
Before calling IT power off and back on your fucking blue little device with the 4 grey cables running into it and try again and stop being an asstard!

Thanks,
IT
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
El Camino

I don't recall ever having power cycle those little hubs that much. Have you checked your cabling and the core network? Are you cascading a lot of smaller switches at the core or IDF?

Dell PowerConnect are ok for the price but I would agree with the smaller Cisco stuff being a better long term option.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:38 PM
duh...duh....duh

gawd, I'd hate to work in that environment. Truly the only solution I'd ever recommend is running the drops required. 6500s are sweet, but it sounds like you're environment would benefit from the cost savings of 3750s with the 32Gbps stackwise cables in between. Onsies/twosies (i know) of users with their own hubs I'd consider, but not mass deployment.

Once thing to understand is you just might be having network loops allowing that. Even if you have 6513s or some GSR in the closet - you put a hub at the user's desk and they create a loop it does no good. If you do homeruns from their work area, to a nice managed switch (even if it is not Cisco) - the switch will detect loops and stp will block a port to save your ass.

There are many solutions that'll drastically increase performance and reliability from your existing infrastructure. From my point of view, what you're doing is something I'll never recommend.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement