Steve Jobs keynote and OSX Leopard - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Steve Jobs keynote and OSX Leopard

So, did anyone see Steve Jobs keynote speech at WWDC07? It was totally underwhelming IMO.

You can watch the recording if you go to http://www.Apple.com The link is in the lower left corner.

I was underwhelmed however there were some things of note that I did like.

Games:
EA, EA Sports, and Id will be releasing new games on the Mac starting next month. Madden 08, Tiger Woods, Harry Potter, and a few other titles will be here by the end of the summer.

Leopard:

The Desktop improvements are subtle but substantial. Looking at the desktop you can only see that the Dock has a minor change in its background and the Menu Bar is now translucent. However STACKS is a new feature that puts folders onto the Dock. When you click on the Stacked folder its contents expand across the screen. The effect is really nice.

Core Animation was shown off again. Jobs showed off a screen full of hundreds of movies playing in the background at the same time. If you did a search for movies with the term "water" then a row of movies with Water in the title or description would fly out from the background to the forefront. This was just one cleaver part of Core Animation. IMO this is one of the strongest reasons to upgrade to Leopard.

The Strongest reason is Time Machine. It is a backup utility like no other. Not only can you backup your entire system to a USB, Fireware, or Ethernet attached hard drive, but you can recover files so easily that it is amazing no one has done it before. If you realize you need a file that you deleted several months ago, you can scroll through time machine (which is fully animated) and see the actual documents. Lets say you have the document, but you need a paragraph you deleted for the original version that was created a year ago. No problem. Time Machine can go back to that version and recover the document. You should really check it out on Apple.com because I'm simply not doing it any justice here.

Finder has also been updated. Finder is to OSX what Windows Explorer is to Windows. They have added a new view called Cover Flow. Cover Flow was originally introduced in iTunes 7.0. In iTunes, you can flip through the cover art of your CDs and Movies for navigation. The same goes for Finder. Now you can flip through PDFs, Excel spreadsheets, photos, etc, etc. If you find something you think you want, you can hit the space bar and another new feature "Quick View" will expand the file instantly without launching the application. So you can get a quick glance at your spreadsheet (even tabs that are in the background) without opening Excel. The only thing you can't do, is edit the file. The same goes for Movies, photos, and just about any other document. You can even view your applications in this way. It is very cool.

Apple has also added a new feature to its .MAC service which allows you to remotely access files on your home PC or Mac. It is pretty similar to GoToMyPC except that there is no remote desktop. However Apple already has remote desktop features.

iChat has seen a HUGE upgrade. Now you can put backgrounds into your video conference. It can make it seem as if you are speaking in front of a picture of your wife. Or you can put a movie into the background. That lets you look like your in the movie. This lends itself to letting you embed a keynote presentation into your ichat session. This is going to make for a fantastic presentation tool IMO.

There are over 300 new features, but these were my favorites.

In other news. Jobs confirmed that the iPhone will be released on June 29th. He also stated that certain web development tools will be available for the iPhone. However those appear to be limited to AJAX and Java web apps. IMO this is a huge disappointment.

So that's it in a nutshell. I was still disappointed. There were no new iMacs, no new iWork or iLife, no killer app for Leopard. Some good stuff, just not great stuff.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Actually, there is a killer app for Leopard, but for some reason Job's didn't talk about it during his keynote.

Bootcamp, now being built into Leopard, has a feature called "Reset to Windows", where it will put OSX into Safe Sleep mode, and switch over to Windows. On the Windows side, there's "Reset to OSX", where it will put Windows into Hibernate, and switch back to OSX.

Near instantaneous switching back and forth between OS's, giving each OS full control / full access to the hardware (no virtualization). It's not actually restarting the system, just restoring the Safe Sleep/Hibernate modes of each OS.

Sounds a lot like a Hypervisor to me.

I was a bit surprised about no announcement of iLife or iWork updates, but my suspicion is that they may be integrated into Leopard now (as in one of the 290 other features of Leopard not gone over during the keynote... kind of a "surprise!"). Would give it that much more of an edge over Windows to have them included with the OS, rather than seperate.

I also have a feeling there's going to be more announcements soon about .Mac changes. There's speculation about switching to Google for the backend, perhaps an IMAP version of Gmail to be announced along side the switch, Google Calendar for the backend of iCal (it can already sync natively to iCal, just in a read only state), Google Pages and/or Picasa for iWeb/iMovie/Garage Band/iPhoto storage/syncing ... etc.

edit: The Keynote was a bit lack-luster though.... 7 of the 10 new features shown, were already shown at WWDC 06, and one of them (Quick Look) was talked about, but not shown last year. So really that only left 2 actual new things (Desktop and Finder) being debuted. Would've loved to see the reaction to something like the new bootcamp features.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-12-2007 at 04:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Turn Your Swag On!

When's the official release date for Leopard?

1955 F-100
2006 S2000

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Actually, there is a killer app for Leopard, but for some reason Job's didn't talk about it during his keynote.

Bootcamp, now being built into Leopard, has a feature called "Reset to Windows", where it will put OSX into Safe Sleep mode, and switch over to Windows. On the Windows side, there's "Reset to OSX", where it will put Windows into Hibernate, and switch back to OSX.

Near instantaneous switching back and forth between OS's, giving each OS full control / full access to the hardware (no virtualization). It's not actually restarting the system, just restoring the Safe Sleep/Hibernate modes of each OS.

"Parallels" allows you to run an XP VM inside OS X, so you don't have to reboot. You can run them simultaneously, side by side and even share and move files between them.

Last edited by line-em-up; 06-12-2007 at 06:37 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag
When's the official release date for Leopard?
October. No specific date was given.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf

Its not a hypervisor. For it to be one, the host OS would have to be running. In BootCamp, there is no host OS. Instead they have come up with a novel way to hibernate the different OSes while a new OS takes control of the hardware.

Still, I'm not sure it is really needed. VMware Fusion and Parallels now let you run your Windows Apps without having to deal with the virtual machine itself. The VM still boots up but now you just click on an XP application on the Dock or another menu and run the app. It is sort of like running an application on top of a framework like .Net but the OS is the framework. Parallels calls this Coherence. VMware calls it "Unity" The VMWare version even works with Mac's Expose'. Both versions support 3D acceleration too.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Rolling with the homies

Lots of cool features being added to Leopard. Some are already available with Tiger as add on's like the following.

You can already do "Stacks" with Tiger although it doesn't look as good.

Menu Shade does a similar translucent bar.

Still can't wait for it's release though. Price is supposed to be $129. Debating on if I should sell my MacBook and just buy a new one preloaded with Leopard or upgrade mine. Does Mac allow multiple installs of the OS from the same CD? Thinking about getting a Mac Mini and being able to upgrade Leopard on both the Mini and MacBook if I decide to keep mine.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Lots of cool features being added to Leopard. Some are already available with Tiger as add on's like the following.

You can already do "Stacks" with Tiger although it doesn't look as good.

Menu Shade does a similar translucent bar.

Still can't wait for it's release though. Price is supposed to be $129. Debating on if I should sell my MacBook and just buy a new one preloaded with Leopard or upgrade mine. Does Mac allow multiple installs of the OS from the same CD? Thinking about getting a Mac Mini and being able to upgrade Leopard on both the Mini and MacBook if I decide to keep mine.
I wouldn't buy a new MacBook unless there is a significant upgrade. The latest MacBookPro got a max memory boost to 4GB and LED backlights for the display. The older MBP (the one I have) was limited to 3GB because of a limitation in the motherboard chipset.

I believe OSX CDs come with 5 licenses. However OSX has historically not had any type of activation so you could technically install it on as many Macs as you like.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Yeah, I know about Parallel's and VMWare Fusion. I'm using Fusion Beta 4 right now, installing Final Fantasy XI to test out some gaming

I almost bought Parallel's 3, but now I'm considering Fusion (Unity sold me over Coherence), pre-order for $40 vs. Paralell's for $80? Ummm...

But still, the only reason I even want Windows around anymore, is gaming. If Fusion can take care of my needs, sweet! But I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's DirectX support isn't all that great. Enter Bootcamp's OS swapping ability.

By "a lot like a hypervisor", I meant that as in essence Bootcamp is the host OS, and Leopard and Windows the guests. I know it's not exactly that of course, but it is somewhat similar. The real question is how long will it take to dump ram to disk, then read the next OS's memory dump back into ram?

I imagine we're probably looking at around 30 seconds to Safe Sleep osx, and bring Windows back out of Hibernation... and vice versa. That's not too terrible... it takes at least that long to bring Windows up in a VM (unless you leave your VM running 24/7... to that I say ... why? I'm one that only wants it using resources, when I'm actually using it) and with Bootcamp Windows has direct access to the hardware, where it has to be emulated in a VM (ie: I'd like to use my Nvidia GeForce 7300, rather than an emulated "VMWare SVGA II".)

Now, granted if you need Windows for more than just games, a VM is the way to go. And with Coherence and Unity, you don't even really have to look at Windows. It doesn't make much sense to constantly be swapping back and forth in Bootcamp to run a few apps at a time.

But for my needs, OSX covers everything but gaming... so I only need Windows to fill that one need. Bootcamp just seems like the better deal in that regard, for me.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement