Vista haters ------> - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Vista haters ------>

What are your gripes with it? I just got a new laptop with it, and I'm digging it so far. Burning is a snap, joining networks and sharing data couldn't be simpler, etc. I like the look and feel of XP better, so I took about an hour and made Vista behave like the previous OS. Only two things that are even mildly annoying is a) the little security pop up when you try to access control panel or any security settings and b) my version of NAV isn't compatible.

I don't have any hardware issues because it came from Dell like this. If anyone gives a crap, it's a cheap Inspiron 1501, 1.6ghz AMD Turion 64x2, 2GB memory, Vista Home Basic all for $515 shipped to my door. I couldn't pass it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
What are your gripes with it? I just got a new laptop with it, and I'm digging it so far. Burning is a snap, joining networks and sharing data couldn't be simpler, etc. I like the look and feel of XP better, so I took about an hour and made Vista behave like the previous OS. Only two things that are even mildly annoying is a) the little security pop up when you try to access control panel or any security settings and b) my version of NAV isn't compatible.

I don't have any hardware issues because it came from Dell like this. If anyone gives a crap, it's a cheap Inspiron 1501, 1.6ghz AMD Turion 64x2, 2GB memory, Vista Home Basic all for $515 shipped to my door. I couldn't pass it up.
Vista didn't work with my PC. My video card drivers were junk, and there was no support for my X-Fi sound card. PC Benchmarks went down over 2k points.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Grass Snake

I like vista i haven't had any problems using it.

Oxford white 03 cobra aka Grass Snake

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
Vista didn't work with my PC. My video card drivers were junk, and there was no support for my X-Fi sound card. PC Benchmarks went down over 2k points.
So you were trying to run it on old junky equipment. What is the benchmark you're talking about, some kind of evaluation you run your computer through?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
600 plus a few

Vista runs much slower than XP on the same ammount of memory. I see people purchasing laptops with 512MB of RAM and Vista and I cringe. XP runs decently on 512, Vista drags absoloute ass. If you dont have 2GB, dont consider Vista IMO. 1GB is the minimum in my book, and then it will still run like piss with any large programs (Adobe Photoshop, Battlefield 2, etc).

Vista also doesnt seem as straightforward as XP is.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Lifer

I really haven't had a problem with mine. Been using it for 3 months now, didn't like it at first since i was use to XP, but it has grown on me.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue302stang
I really haven't had a problem with mine. Been using it for 3 months now, didn't like it at first since i was use to XP, but it has grown on me.
Dont get me wrong, if your computer is up to the task, it looks great and is very smooth. It is just too intrusive for me. XP is much more streamlined.

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Vista is meant for nublets.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Hell, I bet before you made this thread,

you had to ALLOW OR DENY...

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Hell, I bet before you made this thread,

you had to ALLOW OR DENY...

http://mark.michaelis.net/Blog/conte...DenyDialog.JPG

LMFAO!!!!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

i fuckin hated Vista when i first started using it. but didn really have a choice it came loaded on my toshiba. once i got use to the new settings and where shit was i like it now. like trying to find "my computer" when i did the first boot. been that way for what 12-13 years now since win95. then now its just "Computer" felt like a dumbass when i realized it was right there the whole time. i FUCKING hate the damn security pop up other than that i love it.

oh and like bottlerocket said if you dont have at least 1gig RAM its worthless. this laptop has 2 and it runs all my games and apps fine. my desktop back at the house only has a gig and its slow as balls running the same stuff. i couldnt imagine running vita on minimum requirements

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Like I mentioned, it's got 2GB in it, so it doesn't seem to be an issue. And yes I have Photoshop running on it just fine.

So the worst that you have to say about it is it's for new users and has a pop up? So far I can handle that and I actually haven't been getting the security pop up for the past couple of days..
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Taliban can SUCK IT!

Quote:
Like I mentioned, it's got 2GB in it, so it doesn't seem to be an issue. And yes I have Photoshop running on it just fine.

So the worst that you have to say about it is it's for new users and has a pop up? So far I can handle that and I actually haven't been getting the security pop up for the past couple of days..
yep only bad thing ive got to say after useing if and getting used to the new display is the security popups. but like you said they dont happen very often once the system learns your programs. only time i get it now is when i play WOW or BF2 because they access the internet

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
11-05-09

Quote:

Well, are you a basic user, or an advanced user? I got that damn pop up about every 3 minutes or so.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM

I've had no problems with Vista. You pretty much have to have a new computer to run it on though. My computer is 2.13GHz, so it's running great! I bought mine from Dell in February.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM
El Camino

I ran it for a week on a dual core 3600, 2gb ram, 256mb 7900gs evga video.

My hardware could handle it and had a 5.1 vista experience benchmark but the crap ass drivers from nvidia and creative made me go back to xp.

Video drivers crashed constantly and the xfi support in vista is crappy. Mic in was a joke and I do some amateur recording so that did it for me.

I also did loose framerate in games on the same hardware vs XP. WoW dropped from 60+fps to 50-51.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

If you turn all that aero shit off, it runs fairly fast. Not XP fast but still better than with aero turned on.

My biggest dislikes are:

1. DRM up that ass
2. Allow deny warning for all kinds of shit.
3. All sorts of settings moved around, for the sake of moving them.
4. Precaching applications (resource hog)
6. Six different versions. WTF?!?!
7. Copies too many things from OSX

My biggest likes:
1. improved kernel mode memory management.
2. Improved security (outside of the allow deny shit)
3. usermode memory driver model (improves stability)

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
Well, are you a basic user, or an advanced user? I got that damn pop up about every 3 minutes or so.
Fairly advanced. I'm not a gamer, but I do some programming with it. The first time I launch a new app, I get the allow/deny, but once it has been allowed, you don't get prompted again. It was a pain at first.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Gunga galunga

Well I bought vista today at our school store along with office 2007... $34 for vista ultimate edition HAHA

I installed it on my laptop, to play around with it. I bought my laptop with XP but it was "vista ready " I like it except I need to double my RAM, and everything is working well but I do get the little error message for my audio drivers... They do work though

One cool thing, I was messing with something while office was installing, anyways widows explorer crashed and instead of BSOD or a complete crash, vista was able to restart explorer and it didn't even mess up the office install Vista won't be getting near my desktop until they release the first service pack, and or driver support finally catches up...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm going to install it on a side PC where speed does not matter, but man...I don't hear anything good about it from a gamer and/or pure business perspective.

My '03 Sold.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Got Lateral G's??

I am liking it totally except for the fact I can't get Streetfire videos to work unless I switch to windows media and NOTHING on Google Videos work. Youtube seems to work fine but all I get on the others is a blank square with the little 3 colored icon in the upper left corner. I have installed shockwave and flash player but still can't get that shit to come up. I haven't been able to see half the shit people embed on this site which is starting to piss me off.

Only other issue I had was the registry wasn't getting updated when I accepted my EULA for office 2003....had to go in manually and give myself access to that registry entry. Don't understand that one as I am an administrator...so I think!

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Lifer

Im going to stick with XP Pro because it works without problems. I dont think Vista can do anything for me that I cant already do with XP except cause problems and use more memory while crashing.

FUCK Canada
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
6. Six different versions.
1. Home Basic
2. Home Premium
3. Business
4. Ultimate

6???

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
1. Home Basic
2. Home Premium
3. Business
4. Ultimate

6???

Ahh stupid me. you're right.

Still three versions too many.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Ahh stupid me. you're right.

Still three versions too many.
getting all dramatic on us. 6 versions lol. well yes, but thats only one version more than XP (Home, Pro, MCE).

Basic- For those with shitty computers
Premium- For those with decent computers
Business- Wonder what thats for...
Ultimate- For those with decent computers and more money than taste

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
duh...duh....duh

Curious, can you turn off all the bling in Vista? I used it for about 15 minutes setting up a family member's DSL...was checking for IP addy. So it took about about 3 minutes to figure out how to get a command prompt to see if it pulled an IP. Anyway...the bling drove me nuts. Also, when you turn the bling off, does it increase performance?

My plan is to wait until Vista is good to go, DX10 is in use and get a new desktop that utilizes all these features and can run Vista well. However I don't like flashy crap on stuff I use for more hours then I sleep. Any way, until then I'm going to chug along on XP playing WoW on my 4ish year old desktop.

My '03 Sold.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
Only other issue I had was the registry wasn't getting updated when I accepted my EULA for office 2003....had to go in manually and give myself access to that registry entry. Don't understand that one as I am an administrator...so I think!

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!
One of the security problems they addressed from XP to Vista is that the majority of people using XP use it as the "admin" thus leaving a security "hole"

Vista by default does not run as "admin", it is something you have to opt for as opposed to being the default.

Read up here, here ,here,and here.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.

Last edited by Tx Redneck; 06-12-2007 at 07:49 PM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Where is Ms. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
Well I bought vista today at our school store along with office 2007... $34 for vista ultimate edition HAHA.

What school? Get me a copy!!!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

if you're worried about ram just man up, get a flash drive with readyboost, and add 2 gigs. Cheap, easy, and you can take it in and out as you please.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
El Camino

or just buy real ram. ddr2 can be picked up for under $50 per gig

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsretiredathlete
if you're worried about ram just man up, get a flash drive with readyboost, and add 2 gigs. Cheap, easy, and you can take it in and out as you please.
readyboost is bullshit. USB being used as memory? SATA drives access faster than USB, thus wouldnt virtual memory work better than readyboost?

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Lifer

I use XP Pro in my laptop and Vista Premium in my desktop, and have had had no real issues with either.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
Curious, can you turn off all the bling in Vista? I used it for about 15 minutes setting up a family member's DSL...was checking for IP addy. So it took about about 3 minutes to figure out how to get a command prompt to see if it pulled an IP. Anyway...the bling drove me nuts. Also, when you turn the bling off, does it increase performance?
Yes, you can turn off the bling (aka Areo) and make Vista pretty much look like XP. Yes it does improve performance. In some systems the difference can be dramatic since they might be using shared memory between RAM and video memory.

You can also turn off all of the Allow / Deny warnings.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
getting all dramatic on us.
I know I'm not that good at being a drama queen. I just need to knock it off

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

A friend brought me an extra OEM copy from work, I installed it on my laptop. Used it for an hour and threw it away. Back to 2000.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Business- Wonder what thats for...
Vista for business? What a joke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement