Only the desktop...no icons or taskbar or anything - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
Only the desktop...no icons or taskbar or anything

My sister broke our desktop. I do not know what happened, but only the background shows up. There are some files off there she needs to save. The only way I know how to fix it is to reformat and start over, but then she loses everything. Anything I can do?

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Lurch
My sister broke our desktop. I do not know what happened, but only the background shows up. There are some files off there she needs to save. The only way I know how to fix it is to reformat and start over, but then she loses everything. Anything I can do?
As it is booting up, repeatedly press F8. It will boot into safe mode. Once it boots up, hopefully it will look normal. Then, reboot it as usual and see if it comes up okay.
line-em-up is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Lurch
My sister broke our desktop. I do not know what happened, but only the background shows up. There are some files off there she needs to save. The only way I know how to fix it is to reformat and start over, but then she loses everything. Anything I can do?

Virus from all the porn sites again Trey? Shame, shame.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
It came up normal for about 20 seconds, then it said there was an overbuffer error for explorer.exe and it had to shut down. Thus back to only the background. I guess I should've mentioned that explorer.exe is not running in the task manager, I assume that's the problem, but I don't know how to get it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Virus from all the porn sites again Trey? Shame, shame.
Ones my sister went to, this is her computer.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Lurch
It came up normal for about 20 seconds, then it said there was an overbuffer error for explorer.exe and it had to shut down. Thus back to only the background. I guess I should've mentioned that explorer.exe is not running in the task manager, I assume that's the problem, but I don't know how to get it back.

Ones my sister went to, this is her computer.


You surf porn with your sister? WTF.....

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Frisco
Posts: 474
Try holding the Ctrl key and pressing escape. If this doesn't work, open task manager and go to the File menu, select New Task (Run...) and type explorer.exe in the resulting dialog box and press ok. If neither of these work, you will have to put the drive in another computer or use a tool like bartpe to recover the data. This is almost definately the result of a malware infection, though
nitrofreak is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
You surf porn with your sister? WTF.....
Damnit Steve...what I do in my personal time is none of your damn business!

nitrofreak: trying now, thanks.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 216
The stuff on the desktop is USUALLY just links. In Windows, depending upon version, it will be stored in a directory/folder dependant upon the profile. Which version of Windows is she running?

Mike Walsted

<A HREF="http://www.mikewalsted.com/tbird.html" TARGET="_blank">Some links about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird TurboCoupe</A>
Walsted is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
XP Home, but there's no task bar/start menu either.

It started up long enough for me to pull the files off, so I guess I'll reformat it tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofreak
Try holding the Ctrl key and pressing escape. If this doesn't work, open task manager and go to the File menu, select New Task (Run...) and type explorer.exe in the resulting dialog box and press ok. If neither of these work, you will have to put the drive in another computer or use a tool like bartpe to recover the data. This is almost definately the result of a malware infection, though
Nitrofreak is on the right trail here.

If you open the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) you can click File > New Task, type in Explorer.exe and the desktop should launch.

However if it fails, then most likely it is a failure caused by a 3rd party shell extension.

If this is the case, go to this link: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

Download shellexview to your your computer and extract it from the zip file. Copy it to a floppy or burn to CD and transfer it to your sisters system.

From your sisters computer open task manager and click File > New Task, type in CMD and click OK. This opens a command prompt. Change to the drive letter where the CDrom or Floppy is located and run shexview.exe

with this tool, you can select and disable/enable any shell extention. You should ignore anything called a "windows shell common dll" because those are rarely the cause of the problem. Instead look at antivirus related shell extensions or anything that seems out of the ordinary. Once you've disabled everything that looks suspicious, try launching EXPLORE.EXE again and see what happens.

If this fails, your only recourse is to get a someone to look at a usermode memory dump. Unfortunately I'm really tapped out on time of I would offer to look at it....

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sgt Beavis is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Nitrofreak is on the right trail here.

If you open the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) you can click File > New Task, type in Explorer.exe and the desktop should launch.

However if it fails, then most likely it is a failure caused by a 3rd party shell extension.

If this is the case, go to this link: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

Download shellexview to your your computer and extract it from the zip file. Copy it to a floppy or burn to CD and transfer it to your sisters system.

From your sisters computer open task manager and click File > New Task, type in CMD and click OK. This opens a command prompt. Change to the drive letter where the CDrom or Floppy is located and run shexview.exe

with this tool, you can select and disable/enable any shell extention. You should ignore anything called a "windows shell common dll" because those are rarely the cause of the problem. Instead look at antivirus related shell extensions or anything that seems out of the ordinary. Once you've disabled everything that looks suspicious, try launching EXPLORE.EXE again and see what happens.

If this fails, your only recourse is to get a someone to look at a usermode memory dump. Unfortunately I'm really tapped out on time of I would offer to look at it....
Excellent advice. I was going to say that myself. NOT!
line-em-up is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Mine is doing the same thing. 2000 works fine though and that's what I'm using now. I was actually trying to download the new used album from some site and all of a sudden the thing froze. Turned it back on, and it looked normal, but like every 7 seconds, it would reset explorer, and now it just shows the background. Fucking viruses are bullshit. I'm convinced that viruses are created by anti-virus software companies hoping that you'll buy their anti-virus software.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Good times
 
SVT Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I'm convinced that viruses are created by anti-virus software companies hoping that you'll buy their anti-virus software.
LOL, me too man.

n/a
SVT Lurch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome