Continued... MoBo help please.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Continued... MoBo help please....

So I have been told from a few different people that more than likely a loose screw in my computer case that was rolling around on the bottom more than likely shorted out my motherboard...

I was wondering If I got a replacement motherboard if I could just swap it out with the old one and be good to go?

Thanks guys,

Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitstaylor
So I have been told from a few different people that more than likely a loose screw in my computer case that was rolling around on the bottom more than likely shorted out my motherboard...

I was wondering If I got a replacement motherboard if I could just swap it out with the old one and be good to go?

Thanks guys,

Taylor
Pretty much its just an easy swap....how old is your computer...what brand? Make sure and check that its not under warranty before you buy another motherboard!

If you need any help lmk!
-JT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
El Camino

depending, if its not the same board plan on a reinstall. you can do a repair install but I've never seen that work well long term. what type of cpu/board do you need? I'll check my stash but I might have a spare socket 478 board for intel p4/celeron.
edit:

checked the other thread. you'll need to find another compaq board identical or may end up just getting another socket a board. The only working socket a board I have is already in use. I'd check craigslist for some used ones as I don't think you can get those new anymore and if so it would probably be a big rip off and could end up being more cost effective to build a new box.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Lifer

i just swapped a socket 478 biostar board, easy swap, got it from tiger direct for 49 bucks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Those stupid screws...always up to mischief...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
depending, if its not the same board plan on a reinstall. you can do a repair install but I've never seen that work well long term. what type of cpu/board do you need? I'll check my stash but I might have a spare socket 478 board for intel p4/celeron.
edit:

checked the other thread. you'll need to find another compaq board identical or may end up just getting another socket a board. The only working socket a board I have is already in use. I'd check craigslist for some used ones as I don't think you can get those new anymore and if so it would probably be a big rip off and could end up being more cost effective to build a new box.
Thanks for checking!

I have found a socket A board at Fry's for $24.99... wont fit in my micro atx case... So I'm just going to go with a cheapo case from newegg.com for like $20 ...

And yes, I am planning on reinstalling/reformatting my HD if this new mobo cures my problems. *crosses fingers*.

Wish me luck guys!

Taylor
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 AM
El Camino

what fry's did you get the board and what socket a boards did they have? I could use one for a spare 2500XP cpu I have. Thanks.

edit:

If its the same one from the web site watch cpu compatibility. Yours looked to have a 2800 and that board does not support it or my 2500 unless they have a new bios.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pro...=CPU%20Support

Its also only an agp 4x not 8x board and only supports ddr 266. Good luck and hopefully all your stuff works in it.

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
what fry's did you get the board and what socket a boards did they have? I could use one for a spare 2500XP cpu I have. Thanks.

edit:

If its the same one from the web site watch cpu compatibility. Yours looked to have a 2800 and that board does not support it or my 2500 unless they have a new bios.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pro...=CPU%20Support

Its also only an agp 4x not 8x board and only supports ddr 266. Good luck and hopefully all your stuff works in it.
bah... I suck with all these compatibility issues .

Thought socket A meant it would work for any socket A...

Last edited by dudeitstaylor; 05-29-2007 at 03:35 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

will ---> http://shop3.outpost.com/{cGLtomlESvJmbR33cKSAEw**.node1}/product/4152333;jsessionid=cGLtomlESvJmbR33cKSAEw**.node1? site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

be a suitable replacement for

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...#c00063254_doc
??

I'm so confused
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 AM
El Camino

that one says it supports to a 3000 so you should probably be ok with that one but i would imagine a board straight from hp might be expensive

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement