Just bought a Nintendo Wii - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just bought a Nintendo Wii

I had been checking at different places here recently to research the Wii game system. There still seems to be a slight shortage of Wii's in stock. I stopped in a Gamestop near my office the other day and this Gamestop had one in stock. The manager said that they get 1-3 once a week.

So it didn't seem to hard to get a hold of one if I wanted to wait. I still wasn't decided if I wanted to actually buy the system. I'm not much of a gamer. But I bought it since I was there thinking my wife and kids would probably have fun with it.

My daughter is 4 yrs old and my son is 2 and a half. I get home and my wife and I get online looking up game reviews for this system before opening the box. The Wii Sports game looks fun for maybe an hour. The only game that I have any real interest in is the Zelda game.

Is this system worth keeping and buying games for? I am not much of a gamer. The only gaming systems I've ever owned were an NES, Sega Genesis, and PS1-2. I only buy specific games like FF or those long story line games.

Can a 3 and 4 year old really enjoy a game console like this? Both my son and daughter are just as happy with a crayon and a sheet of paper. I like the idea of an interactive game (moving around) that myself and my kids can do.
But for $300+ dollars I can get a crap load of stuff that will keep my kids engaged and active.

Thoughts? Sorry for the long read... LOL

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Lifer

I will buy it from you if you decide to sell it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Lifer

get the warioware game or Mario Party 8 when it comes out. They both have quick little games for the young ones and you will eventually be able to get some good games for the Wii.

I bought the system about 1 month ago and bought Super Paper Mario. It's kind of cool because you play it alot like old 2-D Mario in some cases and then get to switch to 3-D for certain secrets and other stuff.

The new Mario game Mario Galaxy or something like that looks long and interesting.

I'm also thinking about buying an Xbox 360 for many of the games that come out this summer. You should check up on the game "Blue Dragon" if you like the people that made FF, Chrono Trigger and other RPGs. It looks great and the story line and battle system looks unique.

Have fun, but I think you should keep the Wii.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
The Wii Sports game looks fun for maybe an hour.
One would think that, before actually playing it I thought the same before getting my Wii. Figured I'd play it for a bit for the novelty, and get on with Zelda.

Wii Sports is still played regularly, and I've had the system since it launched in November. It's got a surprising amount of depth to it that you don't really pick up on until you play it. It's easy enough for anyone to pick up and play, yet deep enough to satisfy "gamers" looking for more substance. And it's perfect for playing with family and friends, getting everyone going.

I vote keep. Wii Sports alone is enough to engage the non-gamers, and young gamers. Zelda is a fantastic single player adventure (I've got over 50 hours in it, and I'm still not through it).

Games already out that you should really give a shot (rent for sure, at the least): Rayman Raving Rabbids (it's had me in tears from laughing so hard at times), Excite Truck (if you like arcade racers, such as the Burnout series), WarioWare (pure, unadulterated insanity), Super Paper Mario (old school platformer meets rpg? what's not to love?), SSX Blur (a very underrated game. Makes good use of the controls, and while the combos take some getting used to, once you are, it's not hard to pull off some crazy shit). If you like FPS's, Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 are pretty fun, and I've heard good things about Medal of Honor: Vanguard though I haven't actually played it myself. And I'm not really a sports game fan, but I'm totally jonesing for some Tiger Woods 07.

Games in the pipeline to keep an eye out for: Mario Galaxy (currently being compared to Mario 64, and as the next ultimate platformer), Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (if you haven't played the first two on Gamecube (another benefit of the Wii is the respectable Gamecube library available to you now), they're absolutely worth a shot), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (by far one of the best "fighter" game series around. Easy for beginners to pick up, tough to master, and ridiculously fun to play (and pick up SSB Melee for the Gamecube while you're at it ), Resident Evil 4 (originally came on Gamecube, ported to PS2 and PC, now getting the Wii treatment, and so far getting rave reviews. Essentially the ultimate version to have), Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (more awesome?! count me in!), Guitar Hero 3 (I'm a huge fan of GH1 and 2, it gave me the warm fuzzies to see it announced for the Wii in addition to the other consoles. Finally a wireless guitar!), Rock Band (Guitars, Drums, Mic... umm... shit yeah!)... There's tons more... something over 250 titles have been announced and are in development, with around 100 or so scheduled for 2007 release. I think Nintendo realizes the mistakes they made with the N64, and Gamecube, and are doing everything in their power to correct them.

And naturally, don't forget about the classics available in the virtual console. At least 3 games every monday get added to the roster, and I think there's already over 100 available.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Yes.....its a V6.

I havent bought any other games for it. I have had the system for about three months now playing just the wii sports and havent gotten bored with it yet! Its a blast to play!

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Lifer

I have wii sports(still fun), wii play, madden 07, rayman(everyones favorite),call of duty 3 (fun yet hard) wario ware, and soon to get tiger woods.

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I finally had enough time away from work yesterday. We opened the Wii up yesterday. After playing Wii Sports, I have now bought Wii Play, Zelda, an extra Nunchuck, Cars the Pixar game, Pre-ordered Mario Party 8, and am now looking for a mod chip! I knew I should have returned it!

I'm trying to figure out if I want to get Rayman or Super Monkey Balls.

How hard is it to solder a mod chip? Should I have someone do that?

I'm told that only certain DVD players are able to read Wii Discs to make "back-up" copies. Any truth to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
One would think that, before actually playing it I thought the same before getting my Wii. Figured I'd play it for a bit for the novelty, and get on with Zelda.

Wii Sports is still played regularly, and I've had the system since it launched in November. It's got a surprising amount of depth to it that you don't really pick up on until you play it. It's easy enough for anyone to pick up and play, yet deep enough to satisfy "gamers" looking for more substance. And it's perfect for playing with family and friends, getting everyone going.

I vote keep. Wii Sports alone is enough to engage the non-gamers, and young gamers. Zelda is a fantastic single player adventure (I've got over 50 hours in it, and I'm still not through it).

Games already out that you should really give a shot (rent for sure, at the least): Rayman Raving Rabbids (it's had me in tears from laughing so hard at times), Excite Truck (if you like arcade racers, such as the Burnout series), WarioWare (pure, unadulterated insanity), Super Paper Mario (old school platformer meets rpg? what's not to love?), SSX Blur (a very underrated game. Makes good use of the controls, and while the combos take some getting used to, once you are, it's not hard to pull off some crazy shit). If you like FPS's, Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 are pretty fun, and I've heard good things about Medal of Honor: Vanguard though I haven't actually played it myself. And I'm not really a sports game fan, but I'm totally jonesing for some Tiger Woods 07.

Games in the pipeline to keep an eye out for: Mario Galaxy (currently being compared to Mario 64, and as the next ultimate platformer), Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (if you haven't played the first two on Gamecube (another benefit of the Wii is the respectable Gamecube library available to you now), they're absolutely worth a shot), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (by far one of the best "fighter" game series around. Easy for beginners to pick up, tough to master, and ridiculously fun to play (and pick up SSB Melee for the Gamecube while you're at it ), Resident Evil 4 (originally came on Gamecube, ported to PS2 and PC, now getting the Wii treatment, and so far getting rave reviews. Essentially the ultimate version to have), Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (more awesome?! count me in!), Guitar Hero 3 (I'm a huge fan of GH1 and 2, it gave me the warm fuzzies to see it announced for the Wii in addition to the other consoles. Finally a wireless guitar!), Rock Band (Guitars, Drums, Mic... umm... shit yeah!)... There's tons more... something over 250 titles have been announced and are in development, with around 100 or so scheduled for 2007 release. I think Nintendo realizes the mistakes they made with the N64, and Gamecube, and are doing everything in their power to correct them.

And naturally, don't forget about the classics available in the virtual console. At least 3 games every monday get added to the roster, and I think there's already over 100 available.

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

The modchip isn;t hard at all to install.

I would suggest downloading and using the 111D pioneer drive. It costs 30$ off newegg.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:51 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
I finally had enough time away from work yesterday. We opened the Wii up yesterday. After playing Wii Sports, I have now bought Wii Play, Zelda, an extra Nunchuck, Cars the Pixar game, Pre-ordered Mario Party 8, and am now looking for a mod chip! I knew I should have returned it!

I'm told that only certain DVD players are able to read Wii Discs to make "back-up" copies. Any truth to this?
It's addictive. Just takes one hit, and you're hooked

I haven't played Super Monkey Ball, but I've heard it's good as a single player game, but the multiplayer/mini-games are pretty hit & miss. While Rayman is pretty much a hit.

I haven't yet looked into modding either. Being as new as the system is, and this being the first run of chips, I'm content to wait for a few more revisions on chip design/features. Work the kinks out, so to speak.

H4M might be the one to answer any questions on the modding, I think he's got his chipped and games "backed up".

DarkWolf
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:

Glad you are keeping it... I came close to buying one at virgin, they had some for $399, which includes 3 games of your choice!

BUY RAVING RABBITS... I'm not a huge console fan and I am f'n addicted to that game, its soo much fun. I go hang out at my buddies place just to play his wii untill I get one of my own. I also like how you can download games staright to the console. He has classic mario bros., and the original sonic, but you have to get the "classic controller" to really have fun with those.

DarkWolf - So they are going to release a guitar hero for the Wii??? If so that seals it, I'm buying one tomorrow I've been holding out, considering a PS3 for GT5 and guitar hero, and for the fact that I need a DVD player in my room. I would rather have the Wii though, and live without GT5

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM
El Camino

just an fyi the wii does not playback regular dvds

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:53 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang2be
just an fyi the wii does not playback regular dvds
Yet

Sonic Solutions put out a press release announcing 3rd or 4th quarter 2007 dvd playback software for the Wii (which Nintendo confirmed). Likely a Shop Channel grab, like the Internet, Weather, News, and Vote channels.

The press release is worded oddly though, potentially making it sound as if it might be a new version of the Wii, and not just a software/firmware update. There hasn't been any recent news on it to confirm one way or the other... but honestly, I can't see it being a new version of the hardware. 6 million Wii owners (as of last month, and the numbers keep climbing) would be potentially 6+ million unhappy campers when they find out if they want to play DVD's they'll have to buy a new version of the console. No, I really don't think Nintendo would do something that insane. Oddly worded or not, I'm certain it will be a software/firmware update to current Wii's (keep in mind, Sonic Solutions is a software company, not hardware), and Wii's released after will have the firmware already updated.

DarkWolf
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Keep jocking

I have 2 for sale if anbody wants one. They are like new. Pm me if interested.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Lifer

Anybody put a wii key in theirs yet?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 AM
Yes.....its a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Anybody put a wii key in theirs yet?
I dont know what a wii key is.....

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I dont know what a wii key is.....
mod chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement