Kodak EasyShare 5100 photo printer - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Kodak EasyShare 5100 photo printer

A few weeks ago, Kodak release a new printer into the wild. This is the 5000 series Easyshare printer. Kodak isn't normally known for great photo printers, but I'm thinking this might just change. Kodak has decided they won't screw their customers over on inks. They are boasting that their printer ink is about 50% less than their competitor. Also, they have designed their ink to last more than 100 years. Finally, it is supposed to print beautiful pictures.

One way they are saving money is to separate the ink cartridge from the printer head.

I was really interested in buying this printer when it was first announced because I have spent a lot of money on photo equipment and I want to get great prints for framing. Epson has always been the standard bearer in photo printing, but their truly spectacular printers cost about 400 bucks and the ink prices (forgetaboutit)

But then PopPhoto.com came out with a review and burst my bubble. They criticized the printer quality and the cost of printing per page. (Kodak was claming as little as 14cents per full color 4x6 photo and 3cents per black and white page. I had crossed it off my list until I went to the dpreview.com forums.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22801943

This is just one of several threads on the website that had glowing reviews. Even more, these fellas tear the PopPhoto review to shreds.

So I went and bought this printer (only on sale at Best Buy for the moment) The base printer is $149. I bought a 50ct pack of 8 x 11.5 ultra premium photo paper ($36), a 20ct pack of 4 x 6 ultra premium photo paper ($8), and an extra set of printing inks (black and color for $21). Note that the printer already comes with photo paper and inks, I was just stocking up.

The net result. HOLY CRAP this think friggin' rocks! An 8 x 11.5 photo printed in less than 60 seconds at the highest quality level. I was blown away by how fantastic my blue bonnet photos look. My Japan photos look outstanding as well. Last night I printed about 10 pictures in total and today I'll be doing more to send to relatives.

So, the cliffs notes version...

1. The new Kodak 5000 series printer starts at $149
2. Inks are fairly cheap but do a fantastic job.
3. Prints pretty fast for an inkjet.
4. Don't buy the PopPhoto review, IMO they are full of crap.
5. FANTASTIC photo printing. IMO, only the higher end (and vastly more expensive) Epsons are better.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
R.E.N.G.

thanks for the feedback, I work on the printheads daily and they have been a living hell for the last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement