Just Say YES to Wikipedia - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Just Say YES to Wikipedia

Get with the times, if you do not use this as a valid location for information, you're probably still using an abacus to do your taxes. I remember in school teachers would frown on people who used calculators... Why? Because it helps you get the answer you need faster? Whatever, the way I see it, if you do not advance with the times, you will slow down and be just as archaic as the piece *insert tech item here* system you use. I find it hilarious when people on this site ask about upgrading their 233 mhz machines with 128mb of memory, I consider people that do not use Wikipedia on the same spectrum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
3rd shift sloucher

Rofl...... <3 AbecX

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Canada is welcome here.

here's a question for ya. WTF is wiked pedia? or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post
i think thedark1337 is a pretty cool guy. eh plays the game and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
- later on when i was about 16 i suddenly came to the realization that i had zero appeal to women and i said "i'm going to say i'm gay from now on"

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
3rd shift sloucher

www.Wikipedia.com

go there read up... Lots of info

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Wikipedia is soooooooooooooo full of incorrect data! You're a fucking tard if you use it as an accurate source of data!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6423659.stm

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
Wikipedia is soooooooooooooo full of incorrect data! You're a fucking tard if you use it as an accurate source of data!
examples please.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19
One small example.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
examples please.
Scroll sucka!
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
One small example.
People fake PhD's and degrees all the time. Wiki doesn't hold a monoply on that. Wiki can be useful if the creator cites their work. I check the references to verify validity but it is handy for quick info on most subjects.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 AM
mannish boy

I use it as a quick convenient place for information, but I do not see it as a citable source for FACTS...

often it's enough to satisfy my info requirement... if it's something important, I will use it as a guide to help me find verification... most of the time it's correct but often incomplete.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Scroll sucka!
Who's to say that news article isn't fake? The internet, just like IRL news, is only as good as you absorb it. If you take everything at face value, you're an idiot, but to dismiss the properties of wiki because you assume 100% of the articles are tainted is just asinine. I have yet to find an article that didn't have SOME valuable information in it.

post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Who's to say that news article isn't fake? The internet, just like IRL news, is only as good as you absorb it. If you take everything at face value, you're an idiot, but to dismiss the properties of wiki because you assume 100% of the articles are tainted is just asinine. I have yet to find an article that didn't have SOME valuable information in it.
Hey TARD! Did I say 100%? It's chocked full of wrong info!
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
I use it as a quick convenient place for information, but I do not see it as a citable source for FACTS...

often it's enough to satisfy my info requirement... if it's something important, I will use it as a guide to help me find verification... most of the time it's correct but often incomplete.
I agree.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
3rd shift sloucher

Thats like saying DFWstangs is full of correct info.... We all know there is some good some bad, and some ugly....

post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
jakester

AbecX, go cry a river somewhere else. No, I hate Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, but you can't because you must prove yourself to be a dick to add information on.

It's a shit site that has stupid rules that make NO since. For instance, you must back your information with PROVEN/accredited websites or written articles...but consider that some Internet lore and what not are NOT backed by credited sites, then what?? You get shit that is either not true all the way or doesn't give credit where credit's due. My favorite point of this is shocker sites...those dicks are griping about how they can't add them in an article b/c there is not an accredited site/s to back up the fact that they EXIST/ed...This is just one example of a busted system.

I don't want a second hand encyclopedia, and I would rather read those accredited sites than to read them off Wikipedia. But more importantly, I don't want Wikipedia in EVERY Google search that I do. I am not saying that I never use Wikipedia, because I do, once every blue moon, so what right do they have in being in every search that I do just because armature Wiki writers think they are "giving" the power back to the end users?

And go ahead and cry about my sig...no one cares anyhow. Please continue to cry your river that will eventually end up a Wikipedia that I will never read which will in turn get deleted because DFWstangs.com is not an accredited site.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

All kinds of reference materials have errors, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...d_in_Wikipedia

Wikipedia is free, fast and rarely has political or religious bias.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Wikipedia is a tool that some people know how to use, and some don't.
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
All kinds of reference materials have errors, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...d_in_Wikipedia

Wikipedia is free, fast and rarely has political
seen PLENTY of that!!
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

wikipedia isn't fooling me

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester
AbecX, go cry a river somewhere else. No, I hate Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, but you can't because you must prove yourself to be a dick to add information on.

It's a shit site that has stupid rules that make NO since. For instance, you must back your information with PROVEN/accredited websites or written articles...but consider that some Internet lore and what not are NOT backed by credited sites, then what?? You get shit that is either not true all the way or doesn't give credit where credit's due. My favorite point of this is shocker sites...those dicks are griping about how they can't add them in an article b/c there is not an accredited site/s to back up the fact that they EXIST/ed...This is just one example of a busted system.

I don't want a second hand encyclopedia, and I would rather read those accredited sites than to read them off Wikipedia. But more importantly, I don't want Wikipedia in EVERY Google search that I do. I am not saying that I never use Wikipedia, because I do, once every blue moon, so what right do they have in being in every search that I do just because armature Wiki writers think they are "giving" the power back to the end users?

And go ahead and cry about my sig...no one cares anyhow. Please continue to cry your river that will eventually end up a Wikipedia that I will never read which will in turn get deleted because DFWstangs.com is not an accredited site.
Are you on the rag or just always a whiney puss filled vagina?
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:

I'm not the one crying 4 paragraphs of bitching.[1] If you're convinced that the Internet is full of bullshit, what the fuck are you even searching on it for information anyway? You're a disgrace to the entire Linux society, please turn in your decoder ring.

[1] Just Say YES to Wikipedia - DFWstangs.net

post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
lol, this place sucks now

for a while Wiki had an entry for a 2000-2002 Audi S4 and actually had silver as being the fastest color made in those years (which has been an ongoing joke for years within the Audi community).
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
seen PLENTY of that!!
Well if you do then flag it and it'll get changed. Can't do that with a book.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
jakester

Quote:
I'm not the one crying 4 paragraphs of bitching.[1] If you're convinced that the Internet is full of bullshit, what the fuck are you even searching on it for information anyway? You're a disgrace to the entire Linux society, please turn in your decoder ring.

To say that Linux should just be for the 1337 geeks is like saying that sports cars only belong to the rich. Again, sorry that I and 269,500 other registered Ubuntu users and all the other unregistered Ubuntu users are disappointing your great Linux geekness.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
3rd shift sloucher

I am not bashing unbuntu but its for the tard users of the world... No root... Pretty much does every thing for you. Go get a bone stock install of debian and make it your own, learn how to compile.. add your own kernels.... ect ect. I happen to work with CentOS as thats what my company has chosen, still not a bad distro. I would run it over unbuntu any day of the week

post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Long Live T.S.

You should use wiki and find out how to take wiki out of your google searches

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
To say that Linux should just be for the 1337 geeks is like saying that sports cars only belong to the rich. Again, sorry that I and 269,500 other registered Ubuntu users and all the other unregistered Ubuntu users are disappointing your great Linux geekness.
I never said that, but bragging about running Ubuntu and telling people they suck Bill Gates dick is like going to the 1/4 mile with a honda civic running 16's.

post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
jakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
I am not bashing unbuntu but its for the tard users of the world... No root... Pretty much does every thing for you. Go get a bone stock install of debian and make it your own, learn how to compile.. add your own kernels.... ect ect. I happen to work with CentOS as thats what my company has chosen, still not a bad distro. I would run it over unbuntu any day of the week
...just another geek repeating what Alex said....again, sorry for a simple, good OS that you don't need expert skills to work...
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM
jakester

Quote:
I never said that, but bragging about running Ubuntu and telling people they suck Bill Gates dick is like going to the 1/4 mile with a honda civic running 16's.
...yeah, b/c that is a great comparison. What's next, comparing ice cream and sharks???
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:

LMFAO! Seriously, find a hobby. Or find some "since".
post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
...yeah, b/c that is a great comparison. What's next, comparing ice cream and sharks???
You're the fagmo that started the car analogies.[1] Sorry for the continuation!

post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
for a while Wiki had an entry for a 2000-2002 Audi S4 and actually had silver as being the fastest selling color made in those years (which has been an ongoing joke for years within the Audi community).
if you input the word i put in bold, it makes since. that might be what they meant to say but inadvertantly left it out.

just a possibility...

and when i need general information, i just reach for my 1969 World Book Encyclopedias. they were good enough to get me through school. i loved D-

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 AM
3rd shift sloucher

Well in that case Jakester... Don't brag about running Linux... I run Linux every day... all day... all night..... See you are a end user who will not progress in there use of and UIX platform you will have to trust people like AbecX and myself to trouble shoot and fig shit out for you. Im sorry but your no better then "Windows" users and your signature just further proves how you want to be a geeky linux guru when you are really just a refuge of Windows.

Learn SCO Unix or Solaris.... then you can make some witty remark in your sig about it.

post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Not to jump on the bandwagon but Abex is very puter savvy and is trusted on here as a knowledgeable source for info on how to do, fix, make better etc.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
jakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Not to jump on the bandwagon but Abex is very puter savvy and is trusted on here as a knowledgeable source for info on how to do, fix, make better etc.
agreed, but he doesn't have to make some of the smart ass remarks that he does...just let me hate on Wikipedia and you can hate on my sig
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Fuck you guys, I thought me citing sources and shit was hilarious.[1]

post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM
jakester

Quote:
Fuck you guys, I thought me citing sources and shit was hilarious.[1]

I was going to mention that, but I figured someone would beat me to the punch.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
3rd shift sloucher

Who is the fat ass thats gettin flipped in your avatar AbecX?

post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Jared from Ricekiller.com

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
jared, milkmycow.com aka gotrice.com or something car meets.

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
3rd shift sloucher

That was my first guess... But I never like to jump to conclusions

More of Jared being fat....

Milkmycow.com (No Joke)

post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Soooo what? Sure as fuck doesn't means he knows about other shit.....he doesn't. He's just a 'puter nerd!
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
3rd shift sloucher

Double post!

I think your bro told me about Milkmycow.com.... Thats one lazy ass.

post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3
if you input the word i put in bold, it makes since. that might be what they meant to say but inadvertantly left it out.

just a possibility...

and when i need general information, i just reach for my 1969 World Book Encyclopedias. they were good enough to get me through school. i loved D-
no, it was put in there that way because that was the joke. The joke has been around longer than Wiki. It was put in there on purpose. The part about the fastest anything has been taken out entirely.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Baller

Let me guess, you had to write a paper and your professor wouldn't let you cite wikipedia? And now you don't know the correct way to research aside from a user edited "encyclopedia"?

Don't get me wrong, wikipedia is a decent way to find references and basic ideas. However, as it stands it should NEVER be considered a credible source of information.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
jakester

Is this a better sig?
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
jakester

This is getting kinda nerdy...haven't seen anything like this DFWstangs before. But I for one say NO to Wikipedia.
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
3rd shift sloucher

Quote:
This is getting kinda nerdy...haven't seen anything like this DFWstangs before. But I for one say NO to Wikipedia.
your a 07' of course you havent seen any thing like this....

Hell you do not even know what/who EscortChick [1] is.

[1] https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142974

Last edited by RiSk; 04-09-2007 at 01:27 PM.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

Quote:
your a 07' of course you havent seen any thing like this....

Hell you do not even know what/who EscortChick is.
who?

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement