Norton help - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
Norton help

My Norton anti-virus tool bar deal has a big red X on it that says it requires urgent attention. When I click "show details" a box pops up that says my anti-virus hasn't been updated recently. I JUST updated it and it still says that. I have clicked "fix now" a couple of times to let it check for updates. It does it's thing, I restart my computer, and the same shit all over again. Any ideas? TIA.

James
D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
Now when I just did it, it says everything is up to date, but still a red stop sign with an X in it. I have no viruses. My computer was off for two weeks while I was home in AZ...but now all of a sudden?
D is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Get rid of Norton, DL Bitdefender or Trend Micro AV 2007. Problem fixed.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
Get rid of Norton, DL Bitdefender or Trend Micro AV 2007. Problem fixed.
Trend Micro and Webroot SpySweeper ftw!

Slowhand is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsretiredathlete
Trend Micro and Webroot SpySweeper ftw!
I concur. Those are my primary programs, I have a few freebie spyscanners also.





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Lifer
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Haughton,La,USA
Posts: 14,152
Yea your gonna have to shitcan Norton. NAV was a bitch to get off here too. Ive got NOD32 installed and damn near nothing gets pass this mo-fo. Took awhile to configure it but it scans every god damn thing so it does slow the PC down a little. I also use the trend micro scanners.
JimD is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
The Norton was free, so I put it on there. So far, I like it and would like to just hang on to it until renewal time comes. Thanks for the help on fixing it.
D is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Lifer
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Haughton,La,USA
Posts: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by D
The Norton was free, so I put it on there. So far, I like it and would like to just hang on to it until renewal time comes. Thanks for the help on fixing it.
Free is good, Problems like that is the reason norton is off my machine.
JimD is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Free is good, Problems like that is the reason norton is off my machine.
Tx Redneck offered me something else, so I'll see how I like that. If all else fails, I can uninstall Norton from my computer and reinstall it to see how that works. I did everything I knew today to try and find a virus in my system that could prevent Norton from performing it's auto-update, but my system is 100% clean of everything. I even cleaned up my C drive and ran defrag for good measure.
D is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Free is good, Problems like that is the reason norton is off my machine.
Same here. I found myself reinstalling it every 90 days to clear issues. And then when you uninstall it it leaves pieces of itself running. There is a utility on norton's site that will wipe all traces of norton off but I can't think of the name of it.

I'm running AVG on all my machines now (AVG free + zonealarm on home systems, AVG + firewall on work machine) and all is good.

The first thing I did with my wife's new laptop was to wipe norton off of it.

Also, be aware that if you have ever renewed an antivirus subscription online with norton they will keep dinging your credit card every year until you tell them to stop.
mikeb is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
D
Sofa Kingdom
 
D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 9,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Same here. I found myself reinstalling it every 90 days to clear issues. And then when you uninstall it it leaves pieces of itself running. There is a utility on norton's site that will wipe all traces of norton off but I can't think of the name of it.

I'm running AVG on all my machines now (AVG free + zonealarm on home systems, AVG + firewall on work machine) and all is good.

The first thing I did with my wife's new laptop was to wipe norton off of it.

Also, be aware that if you have ever renewed an antivirus subscription online with norton they will keep dinging your credit card every year until you tell them to stop.
I didn't pay for this Norton and don't plan on paying for any other virus protection since I just mooch whatever my dad has from him. I managed to fix my Norton today. Apparently, the web address for Norton's auto update changed and my Norton program was still trying to go to the old web address, hence the auto update disability. I'm not 100% certain of what exactly I did to fix it, but instead of a stop sign with a big X in it, I now have the green check mark and all is well.
D is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck
I concur. Those are my primary programs, I have a few freebie spyscanners also.
They're all that works on vista, and it's all that we reccomend at work. I refuse to sell people norton or mcafee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
don't plan on paying for any other virus protection .
poor choice. you'll pay a lot more for it down the road. now if you really can get stuff free from your day, do it, but never hesitate to spend $70 now to avoid spending 100-1000 later.

Slowhand is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
We lost one.....
 
Mychael101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Red Oak TX
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by D
I didn't pay for this Norton and don't plan on paying for any other virus protection since I just mooch whatever my dad has from him. I managed to fix my Norton today. Apparently, the web address for Norton's auto update changed and my Norton program was still trying to go to the old web address, hence the auto update disability. I'm not 100% certain of what exactly I did to fix it, but instead of a stop sign with a big X in it, I now have the green check mark and all is well.
I was going to say that you need to update the time synch. For some reason mine was off like a week so no matter how many times I updated Norton it would always see it as a week behind. Fixed the time and date and then I got the green check mark.
Mychael101 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
I was going to say that you need to update the time synch. For some reason mine was off like a week so no matter how many times I updated Norton it would always see it as a week behind. Fixed the time and date and then I got the green check mark.
You've got to be careful fiddling with the date/time when norton is installed. I've had two perfectly good, paid for subscriptions "expire" unexpectedly/immediately when my computer's time got out of whack and I subsequently set the date & time. Last time it happened it I had 6 months left on the subscription
mikeb is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Lifer
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Haughton,La,USA
Posts: 14,152
Dang, that would suck, let me guess symentec(sp) wouldn't fix it.....either that or you couldn't get thru to customer service b/c they are the suck.
JimD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome