Time to Build a New Computer.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Time to Build a New Computer..

Alright time to upgrade... My computer is 3 years old and just can not keep up with the new games coming out SO going to start from scratch if someone can please lead me in the right direction for parts ..I am wayyy out of the loop for hardware...I am looking to spend around grand on just the CPU portion ...It will be my gaming machine....Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Rolling with the homies

<----- Subscribing

My computer is around 4 years old and I've got some guys I've bought that won't play on it. Figure it's time for a new computer as well.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Well I have been researching

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8216&CatId=332

This seems like a good deal ....anyone else think so?

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
Well I have been researching

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8216&CatId=332

This seems like a good deal ....anyone else think so?
looks like a damn good deal to me, usually when they put together packages like this you get a POS motherboard, but i really like MSI. PCI-E is good, only 1 slot, not sure if you wanted to run nvidia SLI dual cards cause you won't be able to. only other downside is it's not SATA II so the max speed from those is 1.5Gb/s instead of 3.

there's only 2 DIMM memory slots, not sure if they are going to give a 1 gig stick or 2 512 sticks, which can affect how easy its going to be for you to upgrade your RAM later should you deem it necessary. if it comes with a 1 gig stick i'd by some extra memory for that thing too.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

I would get a SATA compliant motherboard and then get a SATA hdd, specifically a WD Raptor. You won't regret it.

I have 2-1 gig sticks of memory in the box, brand new, unopened from Crucial. Shoot me a PM if you want them. If you want them i'll give them to you 3/4 or maybe even half of what retail is.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Long Live T.S.

Do you have any models numbers on what Mobo from Raptor would be good?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Married Man on 14Feb2010

I recommend the Raptor drive. I have one and it is fast. From power button to able to click something is 18 seconds, my computer is AMD64 2Ghz with 1GB ram. The hard drive is the major bottle neck in the computer systems right now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Lifer

I got a raptor and while its fast it is small at 74gig. Run two of them on RAID and I hear they get a whole lot faster though. Im contemplating getting another raptor or just get me a 3-500 gig HD to put in there for vids, pics and stuff.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
3rd shift sloucher

Get you decent CPU, ASUS mobo, min 2GB of DDR2, the best GFX card you can talk your self into buying. and a good PSU and thats all ya need. I am not a huge fan of MSI's, I am not saying they are bad. I just have not had the best luck out of them.

Brands I like
ASUS - Motherboard
BFG - Gfx Card
Kingston or Corsair - Ram
AMD single core
Intel Core Duo - Dual Core
Antec - Power Supply
Zalman / Thermaltake - Heatsinks
Cases -- Up to you.

Also pony up and get one with Sata2 support and possibly SLi.. you may not need it now but SLi can save you some money in the long run

IE buy an expensive card now and in 1 year it will be slow... but add another one it will help out.

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM
11-05-09

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWminis
Alright time to upgrade... My computer is 3 years old and just can not keep up with the new games coming out SO going to start from scratch if someone can please lead me in the right direction for parts ..I am wayyy out of the loop for hardware...I am looking to spend around grand on just the CPU portion ...It will be my gaming machine....Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated
https://dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=320081
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
Get you decent CPU, ASUS mobo, min 2GB of DDR2, the best GFX card you can talk your self into buying. and a good PSU and thats all ya need. I am not a huge fan of MSI's, I am not saying they are bad. I just have not had the best luck out of them.

Brands I like
ASUS - Motherboard
BFG - Gfx Card
Kingston or Corsair - Ram
AMD single core
Intel Core Duo - Dual Core
Antec - Power Supply
Zalman / Thermaltake - Heatsinks
Cases -- Up to you.

Also pony up and get one with Sata2 support and possibly SLi.. you may not need it now but SLi can save you some money in the long run

IE buy an expensive card now and in 1 year it will be slow... but add another one it will help out.

Good advice. You do need to go with the raptor for sure. Too bad it doesn't 3.0Gb yet

Thermaltake makes great cases and coolers as well. Make sure the ram is Dual Channel

Fast - With a next-generation SATA interface, 1.5 Gb/s data transfer rate, native command queuing (NCQ), and 16 MB cache, these drives deliver optimum performance.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4m3x
Good advice. You do need to go with the raptor for sure. Too bad it doesn't 3.0Gb yet

Thermaltake makes great cases and coolers as well. Make sure the ram is Dual Channel

Fast - With a next-generation SATA interface, 1.5 Gb/s data transfer rate, native command queuing (NCQ), and 16 MB cache, these drives deliver optimum performance.
Agreed.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:44 AM
El Camino

it all depends on the use and budget.

newegg has the amd x2 3600 oem cpus for $65. I just picked up one along with a Gigabyte SLI board for a good deal. I'll probably get a 7600gt and later go to SLI when I need the boost.

The new intel dual cores are nice but on a tight budget I stuck with AMD.

If your just doing email/internet you dont need much but gaming is a whole other story.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

checked out Evga video cards too.. i have mostly had XFX and BFG Tech.. but i know about 4 ppl with EVGA's including me now.. and they ROCK.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement