Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Darkside

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

Here lately I keep getting this update and naturally I refuse to install it because I got word and excel from a family member. (I know, I know...don't go there) Is there a way to block this so it does not come up everyday? Does it stop any other update until it is loaded? Thanks for your help

What is WGA Notifications?
Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is a program that helps Microsoft fight software piracy and helps you validate that the copy of Microsoft Windows XP installed on your computer is genuine and properly licensed.

By confirming that your copy of Windows XP is genuine, you can take advantage of all the capabilities, support, and continuous improvements—as well as the peace of mind—that come with using genuine Windows. If your copy is not genuine, WGA Notifications will provide periodic reminders to help you take the appropriate action. It's part of Microsoft's commitment to fight software counterfeiting and help you avoid problems before they happen.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Turn off Auto Update?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Turn off Auto Update?
Then I would not get any update. But then I may not anyway if I don't get past this one.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Lifer

When it tries to install, click Custom. It then goes to the screen where you check what you want to install. Uncheck that box and click continue. It will ask if you want to skip that one in the future and you click "Yes"

I did it earlier today so the instructions should be close but not perfect.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
When it tries to install, click Custom. It then goes to the screen where you check what you want to install. Uncheck that box and click continue. It will ask if you want to skip that one in the future and you click "Yes"

I did it earlier today so the instructions should be close but not perfect.

You tha man. Thanks, I will give it a try.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
jakester

As a pirate who has stolen plenty of Microsoft products, you should be fine installing the updates for your "borrowed" product. This is because Microsoft allows dual licensing. As for my Windows box, I install updates all the time for my "borrowed" copy of XP and 2007 Office, but then again I am running Ubuntu on my main box, so I never really worry about Windows too much...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester
As a pirate who has stolen plenty of Microsoft products, you should be fine installing the updates for your "borrowed" product. This is because Microsoft allows dual licensing. As for my Windows box, I install updates all the time for my "borrowed" copy of XP and 2007 Office, but then again I am running Ubuntu on my main box, so I never really worry about Windows too much...

I might have read to much into this. If this is a windows xp authentification I should be fine. It is the one that came with the computer. I was worried about it picking up microsoft office and excel that I borrowed. As long as it is not looking for these items, I should be fine. Correct???

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
jakester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMAN
I might have read to much into this. If this is a windows xp authentification I should be fine. It is the one that came with the computer. I was worried about it picking up microsoft office and excel that I borrowed. As long as it is not looking for these items, I should be fine. Correct???
I haven't had one pick up an "illegal" copy of Office yet (not 2003 and down anyway.)
As long as you have a good key for XP you should be ok installing the updates for all your Microsoft products, and you can pretty much quote me on that one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

one of my old computers has XP on it, It says I have stolen copy of windows and just puts a star in the taskbar. It still downloads and installs all updates by itself. lol

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19
one of my old computers has XP on it, It says I have stolen copy of windows and just puts a star in the taskbar. It still downloads and installs all updates by itself. lol

Bill Gates is booking a flt to come see you.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester
I haven't had one pick up an "illegal" copy of Office yet (not 2003 and down anyway.)
As long as you have a good key for XP you should be ok installing the updates for all your Microsoft products, and you can pretty much quote me on that one.

Thanks, I will go ahead and load it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

There is a crack that fixes it. MS is a douche about it.

I highly suggest using http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ (you have to use firefox) when you do updates.

It installs a plug-in that detects what updates you need to install, downloads the setup for each update and installs them. It may not be official, but:

* updates are downloaded from Microsoft's site
* it doesn't collect personal identifiable information
* it doesn't require Windows Genunine Advantage and it doesn't install it
* you don't have to use Internet Explorer, neither the ActiveX for Windows Update
* you don't get dialogs that prompt you to restart the computer

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement