Best DVD burner? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Best DVD burner?

I've gone through two DVD R/W's in the last year. I burn a lot of shit, but was wondering if this is normal or is it a case of me getting a cheap quality burner? Whenever I burn a DVD now the computer crashes yet audio burning is fine. This is exactly what happened the last time the DVD burner went out. I paid something like $30 to $40 each for them. I have no idea what is good and what is crap.
From looking at the hardware properties I have a Lite-On DVDRW LH18A-1P. Pretty sure it's the same burner I had before that took a dump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

And my other question is how would I go about capturing video off of youtube type sites and then burning the audio onto a CD? There are some live concert type stuff I'd like to see how quality it would be.... if it'd be listenable at all...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 AM
jakester

For the DVD burner I can't see the drive being bad if it can burn audio...that sounds to me like a problem with the software or even something preventing it in Windows (I'm assuming you use Windows ) My first suggestion would be to try a different program to see if it works and if it does, then you know its the burning software causing the issue. Or you might try reinstalling the burning software to completely reset settings.

There are also tools you can DL from the Internet that will test the hardware for you to determine if the hardware is bad or not. I don't know the name of the CD I have, but I know I use it at work to diagnose bad hardware, including CD drives. If you want the name of it, send me a PM and I'll hunt down the link for you.

As for jacking videos off of YouTube, I use VideoDownloader (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/) It's an add on to Firefox, so go get Firefox if you already haven't!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Like mentioned above, if it still burns audio, but not DVD's or data, it's software related.

I have a Benq drive in my computer, and it's worked fine with no problems. Had pretty good reviews too. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a few more $ to get something more reliable.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Lifer

NEC 3520 el cheapo $40 16x burner still going strong with hundreds of cd's/dvd's burned.

X2 on the firefox vid downloader. Que up in virtualdub and "save wav" ... easy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Thanks for the input! I just tried burning an audio CD yesterday after making this thread and it failed. Went to explore and Nero (freshly installed) won't even read the drive. Says it's empty. Rebooted the computer and tried inserting a legit retail CD in and it still wouldn't read it. I rebooted again and it started reading the drive again. Tried to burn a movie and it crashed so hard during the burning process it ejected the DVD out of the drive, froze the computer, tried to both push the eject button and manually push the tray back into the DVD drive to no avail. My other DVD reader would retract and eject just fine. I know many have had problems with Nero crashing but usually it's during the transcoding process. Talked with some of my coworking engineer geeks and they say to stay away from LiteOn. I honestly think it's the drive itself, but I'll explore further with the advice given.
Thanks again!

P.S. Using XP Pro and Firefox.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 PM
11-05-09

I had a benQ, but it took a shit on me. I picked up a Pioneer DVD/RW-CD/rw Combo drive.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHornet
I had a benQ, but it took a shit on me. I picked up a Pioneer DVD/RW-CD/rw Combo drive.
My coworking engineer geeks recommended Pioneer. I'm probably going with that or Sony after I decide what took a dump.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Might also see if your drive has a firmware update. Might fix some of the problems. If not, just buy a new drive.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

Pioneer 111D hands down.

Modders know whats up.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Thanks for the input! I just tried burning an audio CD yesterday after making this thread and it failed. Went to explore and Nero (freshly installed) won't even read the drive. Says it's empty. Rebooted the computer and tried inserting a legit retail CD in and it still wouldn't read it. I rebooted again and it started reading the drive again. Tried to burn a movie and it crashed so hard during the burning process it ejected the DVD out of the drive, froze the computer, tried to both push the eject button and manually push the tray back into the DVD drive to no avail. My other DVD reader would retract and eject just fine. I know many have had problems with Nero crashing but usually it's during the transcoding process. Talked with some of my coworking engineer geeks and they say to stay away from LiteOn. I honestly think it's the drive itself, but I'll explore further with the advice given.
Thanks again!

P.S. Using XP Pro and Firefox.
I have been using a sony for the last two years...16X write speed for DVD and 40X for CD-r...costs $69 @ Walmart. Prob cheaper now!

Trying to be fast...
67 Coupe w/408 Beast
96 GT Vert Body but all diff drive train
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Bought a Pioneer and I never realized a fucking burner could be so quiet!
My LiteOn would make all sorts of noise as if the CD/DVD was vibrating in the tray. Things burn beautifully w/ the Pioneer.

Stay the fuck away from LiteOn burners!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement