So I install a Seagate HD - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

So I install a Seagate HD

which is a 160gig yet I'm only seeing 127gig of space?
Jumper in the wrong place? I have dual HD's and this one is set up in the "Master or single drive" position.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 PM
not exclude

What version of windows are you installing? You will need SP2 for it to recognize it all, I believe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Lifer

no, you installed it correctly but the industry lies to you. When companies advertise 160 gigabytes they go with the definition that a gigabyte is 1000 bytes because of the prefix giga. Computers interpret 1024 bytes as a megabyte so 160 gigs becomes 127 when you take off that 24 bytes on every megabyte.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
What version of windows are you installing? You will need SP2 for it to recognize it all, I believe.
2000 XP Pro and just installed SP2 last night to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzoro
no, you installed it correctly but the industry lies to you. When companies advertise 160 gigabytes they go with the definition that a gigabyte is 1000 bytes because of the prefix giga. Computers interpret 1024 bytes as a megabyte so 160 gigs becomes 127 when you take off that 24 bytes on every megabyte.
My 120gig b/up which is a Maxtor shows it to be its advertised capacity.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR
2000 XP Pro and just installed SP2 last night to no avail.
I think you have to be installing SP2 as the original install/partitioning, not installing SP1 then later updating it. Otherwise, you can go back now and create a second partition on that drive to use the rest of the space.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I think you have to be installing SP2 as the original install/partitioning, not installing SP1 then later updating it. Otherwise, you can go back now and create a second partition on that drive to use the rest of the space.
K... I'll try that and see what's up. Thanks!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

You using an old computer? That's a 28bit address limiting issue from ages ago, you can split that drive into 2, 127GB being the larger, and then make a 33GB partition of the rest. LMAO @ the industry lying at you comment, I wonder if that guy posted with tin foil on his head. If you want to make a partition bigger than 127GB, you'll need to make sure you have all of the latest bios and support packs ( yay windows ), if that doesn't work then most likely your hardware doesn't support 48bit addressing.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
You using an old computer? That's a 28bit address limiting issue from ages ago, you can split that drive into 2, 127GB being the larger, and then make a 33GB partition of the rest. LMAO @ the industry lying at you comment, I wonder if that guy posted with tin foil on his head. If you want to make a partition bigger than 127GB, you'll need to make sure you have all of the latest bios and support packs ( yay windows ), if that doesn't work then most likely your hardware doesn't support 48bit addressing.
That's more than likely the problem then. This HD is my main so yeah I don't have all the updates. The motherboard is only two years old so it should see the entire drive. For now I've just partitioned the 33gigs until I learn how to update the rest of this shit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement