So I install a Seagate HD - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
So I install a Seagate HD

which is a 160gig yet I'm only seeing 127gig of space?
Jumper in the wrong place? I have dual HD's and this one is set up in the "Master or single drive" position.

SS Junk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
What version of windows are you installing? You will need SP2 for it to recognize it all, I believe.
exlude is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,023
no, you installed it correctly but the industry lies to you. When companies advertise 160 gigabytes they go with the definition that a gigabyte is 1000 bytes because of the prefix giga. Computers interpret 1024 bytes as a megabyte so 160 gigs becomes 127 when you take off that 24 bytes on every megabyte.
elzoro is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
What version of windows are you installing? You will need SP2 for it to recognize it all, I believe.
2000 XP Pro and just installed SP2 last night to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzoro
no, you installed it correctly but the industry lies to you. When companies advertise 160 gigabytes they go with the definition that a gigabyte is 1000 bytes because of the prefix giga. Computers interpret 1024 bytes as a megabyte so 160 gigs becomes 127 when you take off that 24 bytes on every megabyte.
My 120gig b/up which is a Maxtor shows it to be its advertised capacity.

SS Junk is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
not exclude
 
exlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR
2000 XP Pro and just installed SP2 last night to no avail.
I think you have to be installing SP2 as the original install/partitioning, not installing SP1 then later updating it. Otherwise, you can go back now and create a second partition on that drive to use the rest of the space.
exlude is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude
I think you have to be installing SP2 as the original install/partitioning, not installing SP1 then later updating it. Otherwise, you can go back now and create a second partition on that drive to use the rest of the space.
K... I'll try that and see what's up. Thanks!

SS Junk is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
 
AbecX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Colinas
Posts: 25,373
You using an old computer? That's a 28bit address limiting issue from ages ago, you can split that drive into 2, 127GB being the larger, and then make a 33GB partition of the rest. LMAO @ the industry lying at you comment, I wonder if that guy posted with tin foil on his head. If you want to make a partition bigger than 127GB, you'll need to make sure you have all of the latest bios and support packs ( yay windows ), if that doesn't work then most likely your hardware doesn't support 48bit addressing.

AbecX is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
You using an old computer? That's a 28bit address limiting issue from ages ago, you can split that drive into 2, 127GB being the larger, and then make a 33GB partition of the rest. LMAO @ the industry lying at you comment, I wonder if that guy posted with tin foil on his head. If you want to make a partition bigger than 127GB, you'll need to make sure you have all of the latest bios and support packs ( yay windows ), if that doesn't work then most likely your hardware doesn't support 48bit addressing.
That's more than likely the problem then. This HD is my main so yeah I don't have all the updates. The motherboard is only two years old so it should see the entire drive. For now I've just partitioned the 33gigs until I learn how to update the rest of this shit.

SS Junk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome