Difference in Mac vs. Windows computers - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Difference in Mac vs. Windows computers

Im not new to computers by any means. Iv had a computer since I was in Jr. High. I remember the Dos days, Prodigy dial up and local BBS with 2400 modems... But Iv never been around a Mac computer before. Always just had Windows based.

Im now in the market for a laptop. Basically its just a toy, Ill mainly just use it for internet surfing, watching dvds, etc when not at home. But thought I might try something new like Mac laptop...

How different are they? What are the main differences?

Can I still use some of my software programs or will I have to get all new ones? I have some pretty expensive programs like Corel Draw, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc that I do not want to buy again, so Im leaning towards not going with Mac, but thought Id ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

There is no differences, you can run all windows applications on a macintosh! Get the mac!!!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

so you can install any software on both Mac and Win? I didnt know that, but thats good to hear...

Basically I have it narrowed down to 3 different laptops (all are used and about same price)... Mac, Sony Vaio, Alienware....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Googlist-Wikipedian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkBZ2...elated&search=

Get the macbookpro.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

well Im looking for something a little cheaper like an IBook. Something in $600 range.

Here is my question. The main reason for this laptop is internet surfing and watching DVDs, keeping my mp3, pictures, etc... nothing major. But I do own my own business and I update my website from time to time on my work and home computers. Im a novice and know NO CODING, so I use Frontpage and just use the design portion and basically drag and drop until it looks good.

so if I buy a Mac laptop, can I still update my website with the Mac? I know I probably cant install Frontpage on the Mac, but Im sure there is something similar I can get. But my question is. If the files are saved on my Windows computer w/ Frontpage, can I open them with a Mac computer, edit them, save them, upload them to the server, etc.... and then maybe next time I go to edit it, I might have to use my work computer again with Windows...

basically are they compatible to where I can go back and forth if I need too?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:20 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLfanatic
basically are they compatible to where I can go back and forth if I need too?
Yes. For the most part, data files are OS independant. Things like html files, or jpg and gif images are standards that can be opened and edited whether it's a Mac, Windows, or Linux pc.

As for finding a Mac around $600, that's going to be tough if you're looking for something new (ie: any of the Intel processor ones). If you get an older PowerPC Mac, you won't be able to easily get Windows up and running on it (and definitely not outside of a virtual environment).

If you don't care about playing games, and you don't need it to be a laptop, you could get a Mac Mini for $500-$600. But once you decide on a laptop, you'll be looking at $1000+.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The iBook has been out of production for a couple of years. They are not based on Intel Processors, so you will not be able to run XP as a virtual machine in Parallels. Also, as another year or so go by, you won't be able to upgrade to newer OSes because the old Power PC processors will lose support from software vendors and eventually from Apple...

What you are looking for is a MacBook (not MacBook Pro) Brand new they start at $1099. The MacBook comes in Black or White. There are two versions of it, the Core Duo and the Core2Duo. These are the Intel processor versions with the Core Duo being the slightly older version. On Ebay you may be able to find one like this for under a grand.

I highly recommend getting one with an Intel processor. The PowerPC chips just haven't kept up in speed and now Intel's dual core processors are hella fast....

If you get one, you can run XP as a virtual machine with Parallels or VMware (still in beta but pretty solid) or you can dual boot using BootCamp.

The other differences you'll notice is that Macs are typically build to higher standards of quality. The failure/problem rates for Macs are significantly lower than Dell or HP laptops. Only Sony is comparable in quality according to recent surveys. Apple also has top notch customer service. I recommend buying an Apple Care extended warranty if you can get it.

Of course the main difference is the operating system. OS X is a breeze to use. I actually used to work at Microsoft and I still like WinXP, however OS X just blows it away IMO. You'll also have a lot less risk of Malware/Spyware/Virus infections simply because there are fewer known vulnerabilities in OS X and a lot fewer people trying to exploit those vulnerabilities. That said, I still run Symantec Antivirus on my Mac.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement