Vid Card Help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Vid Card Help

Ok here is the situation.

I have upgraded my card on my computer. I have tried two different cards with the same results.

Cards I have tried-
GeForce 7600 gs 512mb AGp (took back to try the ATI)
VisionTek ATI Radeon x1300 XGE 512 mb

I had upgraded from a GeForce 5200FX which worked fine just not the performance I want.

The MB I have is a Gigabyte GA-8TRS350MT. (on board ATI graphics)

Processor 2.4 Celeron, with like 700+ ram.

The problem is that everytime I tried running a game on either one of these cards, the computer would crash. The x1300 would start to add green and red pixels to windows then go black. The computer was even crashing sometimes right after start up.

I have uninstalled the drivers from my old card by going to both Add/Remove progs and going to my Hardware profiles and uninstalling there as well.

Many people told me that it was the Power Supply so I upgraded to the Basiq 500 watt ATX12v v2.01 by Antec. However I am still getting the same results.

Everytime I try the ATI card, fail, uninstall drivers, then go back to my FX5200, I install drivers, and its all good again.

Whats the deal?!?

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 AM
duh...duh....duh

I have to assume you seated the card well.

Were all the fans running good and was there clear ways? In otherwords, sure the stuff is not overheating?

Those are beefy cards for a 2.4 Celeron though, be ready for that to be the new bottleneck.

The 500 watt psu should be plenty to do what you're trying to do.

Can you define crash a little more? Did the graphics goof at all prior to crashing? What happened during the crash? Blue screen, lockup, reboot?

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Lifer

a lot of the newer graphics cards require more power. Is there an addition spot on the motherboard for a separate power plug for the video card...Can't remember if that is SLI specific or not. And, as ceyko stated, make sure that all of the fans are running propperly and your video card has plenty of room to draw some fresh air. monitor your cpu and mobo temps. if they are much higher than 40 C I would say you have a heat issue...whether that is causing the crash or not. how many case fans do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
something I read everyday at work:

All things start as a dream
All dreams start as a plan
All plans consist of thought out steps
All steps are not without a price

Dream, plan, pay the price - DO IT!
LPC ID: black2002ls (22975)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

When I define crash this is what happens...

Computer slows down to near crawl, then any new window that pops up like update notification, start up progs and what not will start to pixelize with green, red, and yellow dots. The dots don't go away, and get worse as I move the mouse. If it doesn't do that, it will just freeze and screen goes black. Sometimes it comes back, other times it doesnt.

I tried to open Guild wars at one point and when it finally did something, the monitor then said something like "Out of sync range" (I think thats what it said)

I have a main fan, a fan on the processor, an extra fan at the bottom of the case, and the card has a fan. There is no plugs as far as I know on the MB for a graphics fan. Additionally I have the case off and a pretty powerful mini fan not even 3 inches away from it all. Does anyone have a good prog that I can use to monitor CPU temps?

This is gettin on my nerves to no end. I got tired of playing playstation online cuz of lag, disconnects, and random freezes. So I got all this so I could start some PC gaming, but it has been nothing but a freakin headache! I'm about to give up and just take everything back. Does anyone know of a good card I could use on this machine?

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
duh...duh....duh

Never give-up when it comes to building PCs. Might be frustrating but there is always a resolution and you'll learn a lot.

I'm inclined to blame it on something else, but since it works with the other GPU in there...

Have you verified that all the fans are working? Running the latest drivers...etc yada?

If I'm correct, your video card only has 1 input for power and I assume you hooked that up right?

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Lifer

ati cards can have problems on certain xp machines.

i would verify that you have the latest video drivers. i would compare your driver version # to what is available on the manufacture website.

i had a soundblaster video card cause me problems because the supplied drivers were bad and caused blue screens. i had to download the updated driver package from their web site to resolve the problem.

i would also check to see if your tower has adequate cooling. check and clean the cooling fan on the cpu and your video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Worship me

I tried a 512mb Radeon card on my 1.1 Ghz machine and it did a lot of the same stuff, it would just freeze up out of the blue, skip, crash, etc... I think on mine it was because the processor was just too slow. You could be having a similar problem.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Drivers are new up to date from ATI, All my fans work, plus as I mentioned... I even have a fan pushing some hard core air. You think this could be a bad card? I got it in rigiht now as I type this but seems like everything is going really slow. Like I have lil to no ram in it now. Should I exchange the card and try another one or just say fuck it and give everythign back?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

I decided to just exchange the other one and try a new one. Maybe, just MAYBE that is it. I'll keep it posted.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
duh...duh....duh

You keeping an eye on mem/cpu utlization?

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Ok I took the card back to the store and got another one. This one seems to work fine (no crashes lol) however, when I play guild wars I only get 2-10 fps, as with the fx5200 i was getting 10-30. What the hell is up with that!?!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Lifer

is this a new system? If so did you build it all yourself? Is this problem new or has it been doing it since you built it? If so, check and make sure #1 all of your RAM is showing in the bios, or download CPUz and check it. Next, make sure that there isn't a 4 pin plug on the motherboard for Video CARD power, not fan power. If there is make sure that is plugged in.

Now, google that video card/cpu/memory/motherboard. A lot of times these problems are common to specific hardware combinations. maybe someone else has posted in a forum with this exact problem and has the solution

Quote:

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Oh I have read many a forum. Nothing really comes up with my combo however. Whats odd now is my internet videos are alot smoother than before. Whats even stranger is when I attempt to play Guild wars, I get the same fps rate with the effects at max that I get with the settings all at low. I notice differences in detail though.

Oh and since I have taken the other card back, this one has yet to freeze.

Whats a good program to DL to monitor CPU temp?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Lifer

the artifacts seem to be a heat issue to me
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Lifer

I don't know about the heat, with him having a table top fan blowing directly into an open case I'm not so sure that would be the issue, since he has picked up and installed a new card, I would be more inclined to say that it is/was a hardware conflict. Now if this card develops the same issue, then there is a larger problem at hand....Though I definately recommend finding a good monitoring program that will keep an eye on both MOTHERBOARD and CPU temps. A friend of mine had the fan on his vid card go out and it nuked the motherboard. You can see the burn marks from where the motherboard got so hot.

Quote:

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

I'm also thinking its time to upgrade the ol' celeron to a P4. If anyone has a 478 socket P4 higher than 2.0 let me know!!

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Time Served

GPU is far > CPU

Celeron 2.4 won't cut it. Doesn't have the cache to keep up with the video card at peak. Hence that fact that videos look better, cause your CPU can handle that. When you go into a game the CPU is bottle necking, and killing over all performance.

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Time Served

I've got my P4 1.80A GHz running at a little over 2.3 Ghz stable for about 2 months now on stock cooling...
It's not a heavy gamer. The only games I play are several years old and are EASILY handled by my setup.

1992 SHO MTX
Under Construction...
White/Black/White

1992 SHO MTX
My first SHO, and always my favorite. Totaled at less than 9 MPH. Dynomax Bullets, chip'd, Tokicos, and a few other goodies. Official parts car.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon
GPU is far > CPU

Celeron 2.4 won't cut it. Doesn't have the cache to keep up with the video card at peak. Hence that fact that videos look better, cause your CPU can handle that. When you go into a game the CPU is bottle necking, and killing over all performance.

I agree 100% after I got everything working correctly and started playing that is the only thing it could be. I found a 3.0 P4 for 60 bucks.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
duh...duh....duh

Again, you can verify everything he is saying. Use perfmon or task manager and monitor cpu/mem utilization while doing whatever it is you do when the problems occur. Make it fact instead of an assumption just to be sure.

Take care,

Edit: That'll be a huge upgrade for you either way. I'm a cheap arse and I still avoid the celery procs.

Overclock that GPU and CPU and you'll be set.

My '03 Sold.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
B-WIZ

Regardless if it is the true problem or not, I am going to be upgrading to it none the less. :-D

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
Regardless if it is the true problem or not, I am going to be upgrading to it none the less. :-D
hehe, don't blame you. I always like to know for sure, just so I know.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement