questions about using my tv as a monitor - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
que?

questions about using my tv as a monitor

i have a newer(maybe 2 years old with VERY little use) 32" phillips tv that just sits in my room, since my roommate has a plasma in the living room i never watch mine. in fact it aint even hooked up

i plan on buying my first computer here soon(i have always just used friends or the ones at work) and it would be nice if i could just use my tv instead of getting a monitor and a desk, not to mention the space it would take up.

my only plans for the computer would be to surf the net, download/burn music, and upload pics from my digital camera. i don't do any computer gaming at all.

the back of the tv has a S-video in plug, along with three other rca plugs(one is blue, one is green, and i believe one is either red/yellow)

one of my co-workers said i might need a bigger video card. anyone have any advice/tips/info?

thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM
not exclude

Just get a video card with S-video out. That's about it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
que?

does the s-video cable take care of the audio too?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Time Served

no, get a sound card with rca plugs or a splitter that converts the mini-jack to rca

The thing thats sucks about being the cool kid with the fast car was discovering I'm not a kid anymore, never was cool, and my car is slow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM

It will look like shit. S-video on any size tv will require that you run something like 800x600 at the largest in order to actually see any writing or anything. You can get a pc with a 19in lcd for like 600 at walmart.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 PM
not exclude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove Rat
does the s-video cable take care of the audio too?
Nope, s-video is just video (go figure ). You can get a sound card with RCA or a lot of motherboards nowadays have onboard sound that you could just get a converter for.

It will look like shit, like someone said. But it will work well enough for what you are explaining.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Time Served

s-video will look like shit. not only is your max resolution 800x600 but a tv's dot pitch is horrible compared to a monitor, which means text becomes a lot harder to read because everything looks kinda fuzzy.

s-video is fine if you just want to output to watch some a movie or something but I wouldn't use it as my primary monitor.

'01 Bullitt #0054
Sponsored Links
Advertisement