I'm looking for a decent tablet / laptop for the wife... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

I'm looking for a decent tablet / laptop for the wife...

any suggestions?

gateway seems to have the best prices. she's obviously not going to be doing any gaming or anything, so super speed drives, etc. aren't necessary. i'm mostly looking for plenty of memory (1-gig+) plenty of hd storage (80+gig), etc...

post up if you have any good ideas.

thanks,

brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
I have a Gateway and am more than pleased w/ it. I bought mine at Best Buy.

Here's one they're pushing on the Gateway site.http://www.gateway.com/products/GCon...=dx430s&seg=hm

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

Brad, we have all gone to Dell laptops for our sales reps. We tend to beat the hell out of ours, dragging them in and out of shops all day, and bouncing around in our trucks in the hot/cold weather of Texas.

They seem to be holding up VERY well, mine performs as well right now as it did the first day I got it a year ago. We tested a few different laptops, including the toughbook and thinkpad. Both did fairly well, the toughbook is still in use, though the pricetag will keep us from getting any more. Dell seems to have the best value for us.

D.J.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Brad, we have all gone to Dell laptops for our sales reps. We tend to beat the hell out of ours, dragging them in and out of shops all day, and bouncing around in our trucks in the hot/cold weather of Texas.

They seem to be holding up VERY well, mine performs as well right now as it did the first day I got it a year ago. We tested a few different laptops, including the toughbook and thinkpad. Both did fairly well, the toughbook is still in use, though the pricetag will keep us from getting any more. Dell seems to have the best value for us.

D.J.
dell doesn't seem to have their own tablets...they're pushing either the samsung q1's or "motion" (maybe that's a dell brand?)

here's the one that i'm looking at getting...let me know if this seems like a good deal:

http://www.gateway.com/products/gcon...=CX210&clv=Img

i'm looking at the cx210s...the "x" has better stuff, but i don't think that she'll see the difference with what she's doing. (mostly business applications and web surfing)...i'd like to bump it up to 2gb of ram...but i may not even need to do that...it comes with 1gb of ram...

brad
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Lifer

we have probably 200 dell laptops and have very few problem at all, the main problems we have is people breaking the displays by shutting pencils and shit in them
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Lifer

keep in mind bulk up on ram for a laptop to make it comparable to a desktop
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
fuckcanada

Just a tad bit of advice, I hear that Vista has alot of improvements for tablet pc's
I don't know first hand since I don't own a tablet, but its something you should read up on

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
Just a tad bit of advice, I hear that Vista has alot of improvements for tablet pc's
I don't know first hand since I don't own a tablet, but its something you should read up on
they all come with vista, but i was thinking of just sticking with xp, since vista just came out...they always seem to have a milion bugs when they first come out. in this case, i may just go with vista, though; if it has some upgrades for the tablets.

brad
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
How you doin'

i got her a fujitsu t4215...this thing is pretty cool!

brad
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
duh...duh....duh

I'm not trying to be a retard, but I'm trying to figure out the advantages to a tablet pc. They seem delicate, easily scratched up and I don't remember seeing a built in keyboard. Seems like a large PDA, which I'd rather just have a small PDA and a laptop.

Just curious.

Take care,

My '03 Sold.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko
I'm not trying to be a retard, but I'm trying to figure out the advantages to a tablet pc. They seem delicate, easily scratched up and I don't remember seeing a built in keyboard. Seems like a large PDA, which I'd rather just have a small PDA and a laptop.

Just curious.

Take care,
The tablet I had before had the ability to be a regular laptop w/touchscreen, or you could flip the screen use it just as a tablet. Had a keyboard, mouse, etc. If you are just surfing the web, then it is pretty cool. Typing something on the touch screen took some time. The handwriting recognition was great, I took notes in several meetings with it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko

Just curious.

Take care,
this thing is the same as a regular laptop, but you can flip the screen around and close it (so the screen is facing out) and use it like a tablet. my wife is always taking notes, having to keep up with them, etc...well, this thing lets you take notes, obviously paperless, they're easy to keep up with, and (if you want) it will convert your notes to type.

brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement