External Hard Drive - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
RedLilPony

External Hard Drive

Is it safe to store information on an external hard drive and nowhere else? Or is it best to have the information in two locations (i.e. on a PC as well)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Lifer

What happens when the drive breaks, gets dropped, lost or stolen? Gone, gone, bye bye data. It's always smart to have a backup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
not exclude

If it's really important, have atleast one backup. Flash media is a decent idea for important stuff, store it in a cool safe in a static bag.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
Is it safe to store information on an external hard drive and nowhere else? Or is it best to have the information in two locations (i.e. on a PC as well)?

It depends on how important the data is it to you. Having an external drive but using it as the only place to store your files is not a backup. Drives fail ( mainly due to heat ), and when that happens you wont have a second place to retrieve them. I would put a copy on your computer, and then backup to an external disk nightly.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM
RedLilPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
It depends on how important the data is it to you. Having an external drive but using it as the only place to store your files is not a backup. Drives fail ( mainly due to heat ), and when that happens you wont have a second place to retrieve them. I would put a copy on your computer, and then backup to an external disk nightly.

That's what I'm doing now but my PC is getting full. When I do photography I save a folder with subfolders of Originals, Edits, Slide Shows, and ZIP for e-mails. It's just a lot of crud.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

If you're just wanting additional storage space, you'd be better off getting an internal hard drive, cheaper and stationary so it will be less prone to damage, being lost, stolen etc...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Lifer

always store it in 2 places if its that important if not just put it on the external but externals around here at work suck because they get dropped or banged around so the life is less then normal
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Lifer

I would get a SATA external drive and use it for storage. I use a 350 gig for my pictures, video and audio with no problems but I do make a second copy on a regular basis.

96 Laser red GT
2002 Lincoln Navigator
91 rio red coupe SOLD
90 blue coupe SOLD
2001 F150 SOLD
2004 R6 - SOLD
www.2bones.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I have two external drives.

One is a 500GB Lacie with Firewire 800. I use this one for storing movies and virtual machine disks. Firewire 800 has a consistant speed of 800Mbps.

The second drive is USB2.0 and is used for backups.

An option I haven't tried yet is the External SATA drive. I'm not just talking about a USB2.0 external drive that uses a SATA disk. I'm talking about an actual SATA connector on your system for connecting an external SATA drive enclosure.

SATA has 3Gbps of bandwidth (yes, that is GIGABITS) It is so hella fast that USB2.0 looks like a floppy drive in comparison. I plan to go this route when I get deeper into video editing on my Mac.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement