What is virtual memory? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

What is virtual memory?

I have a HP Pavilion 6735 with a celeron proccesor ( I know that is not so great). I was trying to install Sim City 4 deluxe and it installed fine and made no complaints about video or sound cards when installing. I tried to play a tutorial and when I click to play the tutorial, the game would freeze up. After the 4 times, a dialogue box came up and said I didn't have enough virtual memory. I went through the system icon and found out I have only 64 RAM. I dont know if the dialogue box is refering to the RAM or maybe a graphics card. I will list what the game requires and maybe it will make sense to someone.

Windows XP- got that

500MHz CPU- got that (631MHz)

128MB RAM- 64RAM here

8X or faster CD/DVD- I have no idea what I have there

1.6 GB free space- installed fine, so I assume thats good.

Direct X 7.0 compatible video card ---w/ 32MB or more memory with a ATI Radeon or greater,NVIDIA TNT2, GeForce or greater, Matrox G400 or greater, SIS 315 or Xabre. I have no idea what I have.

DirectX 7.0 compatible sound card- sounds seemed OK.

I'm not sure if I need a video card or just more RAM. Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

You need a new computer that piece of shit is probably 6 years old, or more.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Is it really that bad? Is this upgradable, or a waste of money?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
Is it really that bad? Is this upgradable, or a waste of money?
My personal memory minimum for XP is 512mb; I like to see 1gb. 64mb isn't enough to run windows 98 very well much less XP. The problem you are going to have is that your current motherboard probably will not support the addition of much more memory and besides with a 500mhz processor you would be throwing money down a hole anyway buying memory for it.

Time for a new computer.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Gunga galunga

Yeah not worth spending money on that computer, but to answer the question at hand, virtual memory is space on the hard disk that acts like additional RAM. Virtual memory is no where near as efficient as actual ram.

To change it, right click on my computer, go to the advance tab and there will be an option to change virtual memory settings. You can adjust the size of the "paging file" here.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the advise guys.

Well, bummer deal. Whats the general price, and best place to look for a decent tower nowadays?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Lifer

virtual memory is a paging file or swap file.

it is system memory that is used to supplement your RAM for background processes and program executables.

it is slower than ram because it is an allocated space on your hard drive, so the accessing times are slower.

if you have 64 mb of ram then your system is an anemic turd and you aren't going to be able to do much with it.

and the weak and slow celeron processor you have is another part of the problem.

you just need to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I make this look good!

Check out the Frys ad on Fridays (they usually have decent prices on just a CPU) and maybe stick your nose in the classifieds on this site. Any computer that you buy that is within 3 years old should have the specs to run the game. The problem that you are going to run into is that most "basic" systems come with an Intel Graphics card. You will likely have to purchase an aftermarket one or you will have to disable certain aspects of the graphics in the game.....if it gives you the option.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
- Will Rogers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
600 plus a few

Virtual memory also prevents your system from crashing. If you have 512MB of ram, and your system tries to use 513MB but you have VM turned off, it will crash. Memory is obvously faster, but some windows processes run exclusively in VM.

If you want a new computer, you can find one cheap for $300, even that will be a step up from what you have. A HUGE step.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for all the advice. Can one of y'all give me a rundown of what I would be basically looking for in a semi gaming computer? I need to know like how much memory, MHZ. video card. I see computers on Craigslist, but not sure if I'm looking at good deals or not. Maybe a link to a computer site that may have specs on what I need.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPS STANG RACER
Thanks for all the advice. Can one of y'all give me a rundown of what I would be basically looking for in a semi gaming computer? I need to know like how much memory, MHZ. video card. I see computers on Craigslist, but not sure if I'm looking at good deals or not. Maybe a link to a computer site that may have specs on what I need.
It all depends how much you want to spend really. You can build a semi-gaming computer for anywhere from $600 to $2000. It just all depends on how much you want to put into it and how much you want to get out of it. First decide how much you can throw at it and then we'll help you make the most of that money.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 PM
duh...duh....duh

All advice given here is spot on.

Do you even need a "semi-gaming" machine? If not, things can get a lot cheaper. My personal opinion is if you want mid-range to top of the line you'll save 200+ dollars building it yourself. However, if you don't require that it is sometimes cheaper to buy a prebuilt machine from your favorite vendor.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement