Sneaky bastards at symantec - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Exclamation Sneaky bastards at symantec

I was looking at last month's credit card bill and symantec auto-dinged me for three automatic antivirus renewals (about $165) for products that had expired (don't these products check for auto-renewals?) and that I had removed and replaced with AVG.

A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him.

If you've ever done the online renewal and no longer use norton keep an eye out on your cc bill. Symantec did not give me any grief about the refund however.

Just another reason to avoid symantec products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

That sucksass..... goes to check credit card bill....

You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Time Served

My Norton has been expired now for a month or so.... is there a different product that is better and easy to use? What is AVG? I use spy sweeper for spyware and it has caught every thing so far but I need to do something about the virus and intrussion protections

93 LX Blown 306

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Merry HoHo

WWW.GIRSOFT.COM

thanks to mikeb

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93blowngreenlx
My Norton has been expired now for a month or so.... is there a different product that is better and easy to use? What is AVG? I use spy sweeper for spyware and it has caught every thing so far but I need to do something about the virus and intrussion protections
I just finished cleaning one of my systems of spyware/adware, and found these products to be very good. None of them do all of the job but most are free and there is no reason you should not run the free online scanners.

free.grisoft.com (free AVG antivirus)

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp (zonealarm, free firewall)

www.trendmicro.com (free online virus & spyware scan, excellent)

www.bitdefender.com (free online virus & spyware scan, worthwhile)

www.spysweeper.com (free download/install of "scan only" tool, must buy to remove infections, very good)

security.symantec.com (free online virus scan)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html (free spybot search & destroy, an oldie but a goodie)

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...bj=dl&tag=top5 (free adaware, very good)

Hope this helps; happy scanning
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Lifer

i don't like Norton or Mcafee. i like AVG, though, i am a fan of free stuff

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
I make this look good!

Same thing happened to me. Apparently, they instituted an auto draft program this year. They should have sent you an email a week or so prior to the draft letting you know it was going to happen. Unfortunately for me it went to my hotmail account that I practically never check. When the $55 charge hit my account I called and sat on hold for about 45 minutes, but I did eventually get a full refund credited back.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
- Will Rogers
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon
i don't like Norton or Mcafee. i like AVG, though, i am a fan of free stuff
The first thing I do when setting up a new computer is to wipe the drive of the complimentary Norton / McAfee installation and replace it with AVG. AVG seems to be much less invasive and it is easy to work with even at the server level. Not to mention that because Norton & McAfee are the most popular virus scanners that they are the primary targets for the construction of viruses designed to circumvent those programs.

90 LX
86 GN

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCPA
The first thing I do when setting up a new computer is to wipe the drive of the complimentary Norton / McAfee installation and replace it with AVG. AVG seems to be much less invasive and it is easy to work with even at the server level. Not to mention that because Norton & McAfee are the most popular virus scanners that they are the primary targets for the construction of viruses designed to circumvent those programs.
I agree. That is the first thing I do also on new computer installs. On about 5 new computers. I will spend half the day taking off all the crap they preinstall (aol, free internet signup shit, mcaffe, norton, google and yahoo tool bars.)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM
We lost one.....

I think I'm the only person who doesn't care for the AVG, I renewed and upgraded my Norton today. Found a coupon code online for a 10% discount and it came out to $53.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
IA2

I got refunds for two of the three hits that norton put on my credit card. Gotta call them back and dicker over the one they did not refund
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 AM
El Camino

I prefer the McAfee stuff but I run the corp editions at home.

Granted I may be biased as they are also my employer

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Lifer

i can't believe people pay for antivirus software when there are so many free alternatives that work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Lifer

If you time it right you can get the Norton stuff with enough rebates to cover the expense but it's definately a CPU hog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement