Can't access certain website? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Highly Compressed

Question Can't access certain website?

I have Windows XP running on two different machines. I am running a high speed cable connection. The computer with the wireless adapter card always gives me the message "Server not Found" when I try to access USCIS.gov. I can access other .gov sites like IRS.gov. I already tried to adjust my MTU settings down. That didn't work. I also rebooted my cable modem and my router (Netgear WG311T). Didn't work. In addition I turned off my windows firewall and that too didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas? The computer that is hooked directly up to the router (hard wired) can access uscis.gov with no problem. It is only the computer that has the wireless connection that I get this error with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression
I have Windows XP running on two different machines. I am running a high speed cable connection. The computer with the wireless adapter card always gives me the message "Server not Found" when I try to access USCIS.gov. I can access other .gov sites like IRS.gov. I already tried to adjust my MTU settings down. That didn't work. I also rebooted my cable modem and my router (Netgear WG311T). Didn't work. In addition I turned off my windows firewall and that too didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas? The computer that is hooked directly up to the router (hard wired) can access uscis.gov with no problem. It is only the computer that has the wireless connection that I get this error with.
do some troubleshooting.

see if you can access the same website using any of the free proxy sites out there.

also, it is possible that there is content/web site filtering enabled in your router configuration and your wireless computer LAN IP is in the block list for certain sites.

make sure you have any pop up blockers turned off. make sure you are accepted cookies globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Highly Compressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman2000
do some troubleshooting.

see if you can access the same website using any of the free proxy sites out there.

also, it is possible that there is content/web site filtering enabled in your router configuration and your wireless computer LAN IP is in the block list for certain sites.

make sure you have any pop up blockers turned off. make sure you are accepted cookies globally.

You da man! I was able to access the website using a free proxy. So...what does that mean? What do I have to fix on my computer so that I can view the website without have to go through another proxy server?

I use both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers. I turned off pop-up blockers in both. I still can not access the website. Cookies are accepted globally. Still can not access...

I use McAfee as my internet security system.

Last edited by Hicompression; 01-21-2007 at 10:55 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression
You da man! I was able to access the website using a free proxy. So...what does that mean? What do I have to fix on my computer so that I can view the website without have to go through another proxy server?

I use both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer as web browsers. I turned off pop-up blockers in both. I still can not access the website. Cookies are accepted globally. Still can not access...

I use McAfee as my internet security system.
i'm glad it worked.

it means that your ip address is blocked by that site or that site is being blocked within your routers content filter or web page blocker or your browser is not accepting cookies.

you have to dig around in the router settings and unblock that site.

try clearing your cache and cookies. then trying putting that page in your always allow exception list in firefox for both cookies and pop ups.

make sure you disable any 3rd party pop up blockers or content filters when you are trying to gain access.

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement