Upgrade your laptop with a PCIexpress video card.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Upgrade your laptop with a PCIexpress video card..

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/computi..._computers.php

Quote:
SUS today launched the XG Station as the industry’s first public demonstration of the world’s first external graphics card station for notebook computers. Equipped with Express Card interface, USB 2.0 and Dolby headphones, the XG station seamlessly integrates notebook computing with PC graphics power.The Asus XG Station is the world’s first docking station to provide a standard PCI Express slot for additional graphics computing power on notebook computers with Express Card slot, delivering VISTA Premium performance. The device also conveniently accommodates future graphics technology such as, HDCP and HDMI upgrades possibility. Lab experiments on a notebook based on Intel 945GM graphics connected to the XG station with a ASUS EN7900GS graphics card showed an astounding 9 times faster acceleration. A large LED screen provides clear display of critical system status statistics such as- System master volume, GPU clock speed, Current GPU temperature, Dolby Headphone feature status, Current actual Frames per Second (FPS) information and GPU fan speed Indicator.
OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE support my MacBook Pro. I've got a lonely Express Card slot that needs some lovin

This is hella cool!

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Rolling with the homies

If anything, this looks pimp.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

or you could just buy a regular computer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbecX
or you could just buy a regular computer.
Kinda hard to lug a full blown desktop on the road. While people like us have multiple systems at home, most people don't. Also, this would give my macbook even more graphical processing power for the video editing I've been doing lately.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Kinda hard to lug a full blown desktop on the road.

This setup looks pretty large and complicated. If I was doing video editing, I'd just build a box dedicated to that with large amounts of physical memory. A video card really wouldn't effect video editing, unless you were dealing with insanely detailed 3d objects rendered in real time. Its still a cool device, but I don't see any practical use for it unless my only computer was a laptop.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

It sounds interesting, but I'd rather it send the video to the laptop display, instead of an external... that kind of defeats the mobility feature.

DarkWolf
Graphic Design / Photography / Web Design
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I think you're missing the point. Its a docking station. You don't take it with you, you leave it at home. When you return, you get additional power.

Darkwolf, however makes an interesting point. When I'm home, I use both the laptop monitor and my external display. I'm betting this thing doesn't support dual displays where the laptop is one of the displays.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

True, I'm just envisioning a way to get desktop pc graphics on the laptop. The external card could be mounted to the laptop lid in some fashion... maybe hooks over the top and hangs down the back with some adjustable pads to secure it in place.

That way, you get the mobility of the laptop, with the graphic power of the desktop.

I do like the idea of using it at home (since my laptop is pretty much my desktop at the moment, and rarely goes mobile)... but yeah, I'd rather it be on the laptop display (maybe via switch), or capable of dual display would be pretty pimp too

I just had another thought as I was writing this... I'm curious what purpose the express card serves... is it just a way to divert the video data away from the onboard, and to the external? Anyway, had this idea about using something like this as a way to upgrade the video of AIO desktops, like iMac's and XPS M2010's. I don't think the current iMac's come with an express card slot, but if external video cards catch on... I could certainly see them being included in the near future.

DarkWolf
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
I just had another thought as I was writing this... I'm curious what purpose the express card serves...
The Express card is slowly replacing the PCMCIA cardslot on laptops. I don't know all of the specifics but it supposedly has higher bandwidth than PCMCIA. For the moment there are some SD card readers out for it. However several wireless N card are coming in a month or so. I saw something about a TV tuner, firewire port adapter, and of course this thing.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
3rd shift sloucher

I have one on my Laptop as well express card that is.... I have yet to find a real use for it

: () { : | : & } ; : = <3
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
The Janitor

with the huuuge increase in power requirements and whatnot, tomshardware predicted things like this : external graphics cards in self-contained enclosures. It would be really nice to have a power supply, a cooling unit, a display, and the card itself in one portable unit that can be easily swapped around, rather than dealing with cumbersome and costly solutions to overcoming overheating and power supply problems in an ATX case.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
I have one on my Laptop as well express card that is.... I have yet to find a real use for it
Yes, the adoption of the new standard has been slow. However more types of express cards are coming to market over the next few months.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell
with the huuuge increase in power requirements and whatnot, tomshardware predicted things like this : external graphics cards in self-contained enclosures. It would be really nice to have a power supply, a cooling unit, a display, and the card itself in one portable unit that can be easily swapped around, rather than dealing with cumbersome and costly solutions to overcoming overheating and power supply problems in an ATX case.
IMO, as desktop sales continue to deminish, you'll start seeing more modularized solutions like this. Laptop sales have been growing and are predicted to become the majority of sales over the next decade. IMO you'll see more capable docking stations (instead of port replicators) and external devices like this graphics accelerator so that end users can maintain portability but have more workstation like power when at home.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 AM
You lookin' at mah EYE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
The Express card is slowly replacing the PCMCIA cardslot on laptops. I don't know all of the specifics but it supposedly has higher bandwidth than PCMCIA. For the moment there are some SD card readers out for it. However several wireless N card are coming in a month or so. I saw something about a TV tuner, firewire port adapter, and of course this thing.
Oh yeah, I know what Express Card is I was asking more what in this particular case, is it actually used for. Initially I thought it'd be used to get video from the external card, to the laptop display, but now we know it only works with an external display... so I assume all it does is divert video traffic from the internal/onboard video, to the express card slot, and out to the external video card?

DarkWolf
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf
Oh yeah, I know what Express Card is I was asking more what in this particular case, is it actually used for. Initially I thought it'd be used to get video from the external card, to the laptop display, but now we know it only works with an external display... so I assume all it does is divert video traffic from the internal/onboard video, to the express card slot, and out to the external video card?
From what I've seen, I'd guess the same. However I don't know for sure. Perhaps it can support "spanned" dual monitors. I just don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement