Network Admins: What Hardware/Software Inventory Tool do you use? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Network Admins: What Hardware/Software Inventory Tool do you use?

I need to implement a good hardware/software inventory tool for all of my workstations (500 or so). The only product that I have ever used with any real success was SMS, but I dont want to spend the money or the time to implement it. any recommendations?
1985GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,173
http://www.bmc.com/products/products..._0_1301,00.htm
BMC Configuration Management (formerly Marimba)

But I prefer SMS. It depends on what you really are trying to accomplish.
usmcluke is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
http://www.bmc.com/products/products..._0_1301,00.htm
BMC Configuration Management (formerly Marimba)

But I prefer SMS. It depends on what you really are trying to accomplish.
We just rolled out Atrium, BMC's CMDB tool. Much better than the old POS Remedy/OPAS crap. Run their Foundation Discovery tool to catalog systems, and it's a native (no conversion needed) feed into Atrium.



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
We just rolled out Atrium, BMC's CMDB tool. Much better than the old POS Remedy/OPAS crap. Run their Foundation Discovery tool to catalog systems, and it's a native (no conversion needed) feed into Atrium.
Let me know when you want me back. I'm gettin bored here. Hows the no smoking going?
usmcluke is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
Let me know when you want me back. I'm gettin bored here. Hows the no smoking going?
A few people (you can guess who) were VERY vocal about how pissed they were when the news came out, and even now. Doesn't bother me at all!

I gave up all duties to the team, I'm not even on that account now. Really enjoying my new gig, going back to Chicago on Monday.



oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
DLinkOZ is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
http://www.bmc.com/products/products..._0_1301,00.htm
BMC Configuration Management (formerly Marimba)

But I prefer SMS. It depends on what you really are trying to accomplish.

I'm looking for basic Hardware info (memory, hd space available, etc), Last login (when, who), installed software, license tracking, and it would be nice if it could push software and updates.
1985GT is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Lifer
 
line-em-up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere south of here.
Posts: 5,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985GT
I need to implement a good hardware/software inventory tool for all of my workstations (500 or so). The only product that I have ever used with any real success was SMS, but I dont want to spend the money or the time to implement it. any recommendations?
We use LanDesk, which I have yet to learn how to use to it's full potential. I mainly use it for software, patch, spyware, virus updates and remote admin, but it has all kinds of inventory ability.
line-em-up is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
http://www.bmc.com/products/products..._0_1301,00.htm
BMC Configuration Management (formerly Marimba)

But I prefer SMS. It depends on what you really are trying to accomplish.

BMC looks like it may be as complex as SMS. I guess I am looking for something a little simpler. I really dont need that powerful of a tool, I just need one that works. all of the smaller shareware crap versions I have tried dont work 75% of the time.
1985GT is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 52
I used an open source application called OCS inventory NG at my last gig... has clients for Mac, Windows, and others...

Uses an Apache/Mysql distro... but its usable right out of the package...worked awesome for me... Really close to SMS also...

http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/

suprisingly it was really stable as well... I had it implemented in the login script to run once a day on the workstations...


good luck!
CRiTEK is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985GT
BMC looks like it may be as complex as SMS. I guess I am looking for something a little simpler. I really dont need that powerful of a tool, I just need one that works. all of the smaller shareware crap versions I have tried dont work 75% of the time.
It is but it works well in a leveraged enviorment and its all done over port 80 so you don't have to swiss cheese your firewalls to reach clients that aren't on the LAN.

Thats all I have I use SMS and MOM now and have worked with BMC in the past.
usmcluke is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcblown4.6
It is but it works well in a leveraged enviorment and its all done over port 80 so you don't have to swiss cheese your firewalls to reach clients that aren't on the LAN.

Thats all I have I use SMS and MOM now and have worked with BMC in the past.

cool, thanks...
1985GT is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiTEK
I used an open source application called OCS inventory NG at my last gig... has clients for Mac, Windows, and others...

Uses an Apache/Mysql distro... but its usable right out of the package...worked awesome for me... Really close to SMS also...

http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/

suprisingly it was really stable as well... I had it implemented in the login script to run once a day on the workstations...


good luck!

I read about this one earlier. I thought it looked a little shady. good to know that you like it.
1985GT is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 52
Acutally it is free first of all. No licesning costs! Second it was really stable. I had it running in an office of about 100 machines and 70 users... It is web based too.. reporting could use a little functionality but it was the most decent freeware or shareware one I could find. I beleive you can even use it to roll out software packages too ... .msi i know it supports.

The instruction manual is really easy to read too.

I had it up and running in about 2 hours fully configured for the environment.

If it dont work for ya hey no loss if it does then cool! just my 2 cents!
CRiTEK is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 01:28 PM
El Camino
 
Stang2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: in front of the keyboard
Posts: 3,432
you can also deploy msi via software group policies. I also have used sms, mom, in the past but haven't messed with it as much since I moved to security.

2007 Taurus SEL - daily driver
1974 El Camino SS - 400sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfectstang
Umm.. what is the ID-10T settings?
Stang2be is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
If you are just looking for tracking.... Pay me 20k and ill write you an Web application that will track all of it for you

Personally id just create a SQL database with a VB or Java or some kinda GUI front end and call it done, that way you can add w/e you want Search features, extra fields, ect ect

Last edited by RiSk; 01-07-2007 at 02:25 PM.
RiSk is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Sticky Side Down
 
1985GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sniffing glue
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSk
If you are just looking for tracking.... Pay me 20k and ill write you an Web application that will track all of it for you

Personally id just create a SQL database with a VB or Java or some kinda GUI front end and call it done, that way you can add w/e you want Search features, extra fields, ect ect

well, I really want automated inventory done on the clients and most of these tools have that. I dont want to re-create the wheel. I know there are tons of these apps out there. I just want one thats easy and works and can be implemented fairly easily. If I was gonna spend $20K, I would just get SMS.
1985GT is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
3rd shift sloucher
 
RiSk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: some where between texas and mexico
Posts: 1,612
I know at the Datacenter where I work we have 200,000+ servers all with CDkeys, extra hardware, ect ect and its all done tru a barcoding system and a Automated provisioning system. No SMS here there is an ADS thou ^_^
RiSk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome