Recovering .pst's when corrupted... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Recovering .pst's when corrupted...

Ok. Here's the low down. At work I have to restore a .pst from a backup and I am having no luck. I've done this successfully at least a million times - but now when it counts, I can't restore this one.
It's only 1.37Gb so it's not oversized. I've restored from a backup that was only 10 days prior to the employee leaving the company (about a year ago). It was apparently corrupted. Scanpst.exe just leaves a recovered items folder behind but no "lost and found" folder to pull the good stuff from. I gave up on that backup and recalled one that was almost a year older - ironically the .pst is still the same size even though it's a year older...
I did the normal stuff to this one as well. Restored from backup, copied it locally, ran scanpst.exe (it just errors out if you try to open it first.).. I did some google searching and found a couple of sites that mentions getting a hexeditor and changing the first byte to "00" from "21".. I even downloaded some free recovery tools but the good features are disabled unless you purchase the full version..They *act* like they can recover the .pst - but it seems to easy....

Any suggestions? Any full feature recovery tools that are free? I am sure the company will spring for the software - I just want to be sure I am getting one that is worth buying...we don't use it very often..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Time Served

Look for scanpst.exe on your hd, it can usually fix corrupt pst files.

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 PM
KOTS

If I fix it do I get your regular hourly pay?

95 Turbo GT - Pee yellow

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLinkOZ
Look for scanpst.exe on your hd, it can usually fix corrupt pst files.
uh..
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
...Scanpst.exe just leaves a recovered items folder behind but no "lost and found" folder to pull the good stuff from...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedGT
If I fix it do I get your regular hourly pay?
Nope. You aren't fixin' this one!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Time Served

When I've run scanpst, it actually worked on the pst file itself to fix it, not leave recoverable items in another folder.

oesm.org - Enterprise-grade web hosting (full DR, efficient virtualization, hardware firewalls)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Time Served

What version of Outlook was used to create the .PST file? What version of Exchange? Does the scanpst log show any information? It should be located in the same folder where scanpst was run.

You could open a support ticket with Microsoft. The PST was stored locally on the client computer right?

Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297019
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott442
What version of Outlook was used to create the .PST file? What version of Exchange? Does the scanpst log show any information? It should be located in the same folder where scanpst was run.

You could open a support ticket with Microsoft. The PST was stored locally on the client computer right?

Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297019
Well I'm not totally sure what version was used to create the .pst's - the guy left the company early last year. The .pst in question could be as old as 2000. I did run the scanpst but didn't thoroughly look through the log. I still have it though. Ironically I talked to a friend of mine who works in exchange at MS - he didn't sound to positive about it. The bad part is I can't turn the .pst over to anyone because of the nature of the content.
I'll check the pst log out and report back....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

If the PST was created with 2000 or 97, then 1.37 is quite large. I use to have trouble with them being stable after a gig in those days, even though the max size was stated as 2 Gb for 2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement